The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Pascal Pelletier

I am hoping Miks Indrasis impresses at camp so he can get a spot in Utica. He is by a mile the most offensively talented of the new prospects coming to prospects camp.

I'd like to think that Shinkaruk could give him a run for his money on that one.

seems like a decent AHL signing

I am hoping Indrasis impresses canuck brass at the prospect camp and during the prospect tournament as the team needs as many offensive minded prospects as possible. Does anyone know if this guy will report to the AHL or is it a NHL or bust scenario??

I'd like to think that Shinkaruk could give him a run for his money on that one.

Maybe I am in the minority but I'd like to see Shinkaruk, Horvat & Guance play in the AHL (if eligible) and see if Jensen can play in the NHL or if he needs more seasoning (which isn't a bad thing if they all could play in the AHL together and get some chemistry developed for the call ups etc)

Maybe I am in the minority but I'd like to see Shinkaruk, Horvat & Guance play in the AHL (if eligible) and see if Jensen can play in the NHL or if he needs more seasoning (which isn't a bad thing if they all could play in the AHL together and get some chemistry developed for the call ups etc)

Hard to say if you're in the minority or not. I wouldn't mind seeing Shinkaruk going to the A for a while to see what he can do. That said, none of them are eligible so it doesn't matter. I think it'll be best to send at least this year's picks back and save a year on their ELC as well as give them another year to hone their skills and get bigger, stronger and faster.

More on topic, I'm kind of excited to see this guy play. There are a bunch of players playing overseas that would love a shot with a two way contract. I want to see what made this guy special enough that the Canucks didn't want to risk him getting a contract from someone else (offering him a try-out contract).

Yes, sorry, he would definitely be in the conversation as far as high level offensive skill goes. He is also younger than Indrasis.

I don't think there is really a proper comparable for the two until we see them at the prospects camp, because Miks has played in the KHL for a couple years now, which is a much different league than the WHL.

Indrasis may turn out to be a complete bust, or a pretty sick prospect. He is a total wild card, but his highlight videos show some pretty amazing skill including a behind the net Crosby type goal.

Shinkaruk has a higher likely hood of panning out, but at his size I bet he gets some seasoning in the AHL when he's old enough. I see him back in the dub next year. Horvat has an extremely slim chance of making the club next year, but neither one can be sent to the AHL as of now, and once sent down they can not be called back up, so anything past 5 games to start the season would burn a year off the ELC. If management doesn't feel that they NEED either one, then they will be sent back to junior.

Gaunce, Jensen, Schroeder, Corrado, Lain, Rodin, Indrasis, and maybe a couple other names are much more likely to play as they are all AHL eligible, so they can come up and down throughout the season.

I am really happy that we should see a bunch of young guys on the team this year.

Yes believe it or not we have to sign players for the AHL now that we own an AHL team...

Where was I complaining about this?

Stop trying to be a smartass >_>

Lots of people would like that, but they aren't eligible to play in the AHL. They have to be 20 by a certain date to be eligible to play in the AHL, if not then it's NHL or back to juniors.

For instance, Corrado is only eligible to play in the AHL this year after turning 20 in March of this year. That's why he was in junior last year and why Gaunce, who is 19 until March of next year, will be back with the Bulls unless he makes the team. Horvat, Shinkaruk, etc are all still 18 so they'll be in junior as well until they make the NHL or turn 20.

That's the 5th Utica signing now?

Since the Canucks own their farm team now they have to sign players to fill out the roster, before the team would have done this themselves. Also there may have been players who were still on contract from pervious years.

Archived