The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Whisky (Whiskey) thread

King Heffy

That's phenomenal. I look into it tomorrow to see if there is a local chapter. Doubt it though.

Yeah I mistyped. I meant most CAPITAL cities. The Society exists in 16 countries. Calgary I think is your closest bet, Kensington Market or something. Meetings are once a month.

www.smws.ca

Edited by Green Building

I know exactly what you mean, Bourbon is very sweet, compared to my favourite Scotch whiskey. I simply found a way to enjoy the charred wood flavour, the caramel and spiciness, because I can justify spending money on 3 bottles of Bourbon easier than one bottle of my favourite Scotch.

Price point forced me to appreciate and accept Bourbon into my life. I'm a Bourbon Again.

I certainly still drink Scotch, just way less than I would like.

I love whiskey of all varieties, but bourbon is by far the cheapest to get into. You can get a very good bottle of bourbon for significantly less (50% less n the States) than what it would cost to get a similar quality bottle of scotch. For people who don't have lots of disposable income, bourbon is the best avenue for acting like an alcohol snob without breaking the bank to get great quality.

Bourbon is sweet, but I don't find it to be too sweet. Then again, I'm an American and a fan of high rye bourbon. High rye bourbon tries to burn your tongue off with spice, and oddly, I enjoy it. The other distinct characteristic of bourbon (to me) is the burn. I love taking a big swig of bourbon and then inhaling. It's the same sensation as smoking a menthol cigarette but without the smokey nastiness.

I'm also a big fan of rye whiskeys. Goo rye is a mind opening experience. Lots of spice, lots of character, and in most, a pretty healthy dose of alcohol.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.victoriawhiskyfestival.com/index.php

January 16th through 19th. Lots of daytime sessions with pros who [claim to be able to] teach us all something we didn't know.

I'm hitting the consumer tasting, one or two master classes, and am contemplating the distillers dinner as it would no doubt be an excellent meal.

Well worth the money.

I treated myself to a bottle of Glenlivet 12 year for Christmas. I figure if I'm going to get into scotch, I need to do it right and get what most whiskey 'experts' suggest as a great starter single malt. This stuff is delicious, but man I need to start making more money if this is to become a habit.

I've only had a couple and I do kinda want to get started on drinking whisky but at the moment I'm a beer guy. I am trying to flavour my tastes towards good whisky and scotch but so far I've only tried Canadian Club, Jack Daniels, and Wiser's Spiced Whisky Vanilla flavoured.

I find the fact that you're a lush who prefers vodka strange. I'm a lush that prefers whiskey and I guess we just inhabit different worlds.

Responding mad late...

I mainly like Vodka because it doesn't smell much and outside of mannerisms people often don't seem to to notice you had anything to drink. Plus in general I feel I just got used to the taste and as someone who doesn't really like the taste of alcohol I haven't felt a need to expand to a more diverse selection

I've only had a couple and I do kinda want to get started on drinking whisky but at the moment I'm a beer guy. I am trying to flavour my tastes towards good whisky and scotch but so far I've only tried Canadian Club, Jack Daniels, and Wiser's Spiced Whisky Vanilla flavoured.

No shame in not being into the really good whisky. It's an expensive hobby!
  • Upvote 1

No shame in not being into the really good whisky. It's an expensive hobby!

I dunno I'm thinking that as I grow older and raise my own family, I'd have a pretty good sense of which whiskey I prefer to keep in my storage for whenever I need a drink, a special occasion, or if I work in an office one day to have some liquor in store just to drink if I ever wanted a drink.

I'll get into it for sure, just need more experience and money first

I dunno I'm thinking that as I grow older and raise my own family, I'd have a pretty good sense of which whiskey I prefer to keep in my storage for whenever I need a drink, a special occasion, or if I work in an office one day to have some liquor in store just to drink if I ever wanted a drink.

Don't just limit your experimentation to whiskey. Lots of great tequilas and rums out there too at a better cheaper price for the quality you get. I don't think you'll develop a taste for the good stuff drinking what you've currently tried (all those brands are best suited for mixing in my opinion). What kind of beers do you usually enjoy? It might be easier to make suggestions for you to try if we have an idea what kind of flavours you like.

My suggestion would be to start with bourbon. Great bourbon can be had for half the cost of a good scotch. Bourbon has a broad range of flavor profiles, but almost all have some sweetness, making it easier to drink for the beginner, IMO.

My suggestion would be to start with bourbon. Great bourbon can be had for half the cost of a good scotch. Bourbon has a broad range of flavor profiles, but almost all have some sweetness, making it easier to drink for the beginner, IMO.

I second the Bourbon recommendation. Pick yourself up a bottle of Woodford Reserve for $50 Apple Juice, it is a very nice Bourbon. Pour a couple ounces into a snifter, taste it, add a couple drips of water (around a teaspoon or less), taste again. If you still find it a bit harsh, add 1 ice cube to chill. Just be wary of over dilution. All the while smelling the caramel, wood, and spice {from the high rye content) that it has.

Writing this makes me want one myself! Time to pour one.

Don't just limit your experimentation to whiskey. Lots of great tequilas and rums out there too at a better cheaper price for the quality you get. I don't think you'll develop a taste for the good stuff drinking what you've currently tried (all those brands are best suited for mixing in my opinion). What kind of beers do you usually enjoy? It might be easier to make suggestions for you to try if we have an idea what kind of flavours you like.

Flor y Cana is a nice rum, but after having Ron Zacapa I have a hard time buying anything but. There was an Indian rum that tasted quite nice, to say I was surprised was an understatement. Still though, it was no Zacapa. What are a few of your favourites?

Edited by Green Building

I second the Bourbon recommendation. Pick yourself up a bottle of Woodford Reserve for $50 Apple Juice, it is a very nice Bourbon. Pour a couple ounces into a snifter, taste it, add a couple drips of water (around a teaspoon or less), taste again. If you still find it a bit harsh, add 1 ice cube to chill. Just be wary of over dilution. All the while smelling the caramel, wood, and spice {from the high rye content) that it has.

My recommendation would be Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare, but I have no idea what the availability and pricing are like in Canada. Woodford is a good starter too.

My recommendation would be Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare, but I have no idea what the availability and pricing are like in Canada. Woodford is a good starter too.

I applaud your taste in Bourbon.

Eagle Rare ($60) is one of my bottles I typically have on hand. I have never had Buffalo Trace ($40) as it is known on the shelf, but the same distillery releases Elmer T. Lee ($90) which I find very very good. I would even add 4 Roses Single Barrel ($55) to the list of recommendations, although at %50 ABV it throws some people off.

And yeah, I suppose Woodford could be a bit powerful with the rye providing a peppery lingering finish, it is easy to assume that burning is the alcohol and decide against enjoying it. Personally, I love the extra rye.

As an aside, Woodford 4 Wood released last October was outstanding. Do you see any bottles kicking around down where you are? Limited release which is sold out locally, and likely Provincially. If you haven't had it, simply amazing. Yeah technically it isn't Bourbon anymore since it isn't limited to fresh American Oak, who cares? One of the most outstanding whiskies I have ever had.

I applaud your taste in Bourbon.

Eagle Rare ($60) is one of my bottles I typically have on hand. I have never had Buffalo Trace ($40) as it is known on the shelf, but the same distillery releases Elmer T. Lee ($90) which I find very very good. I would even add 4 Roses Single Barrel ($55) to the list of recommendations, although at %50 ABV it throws some people off.

And yeah, I suppose Woodford could be a bit powerful with the rye providing a peppery lingering finish, it is easy to assume that burning is the alcohol and decide against enjoying it. Personally, I love the extra rye.

As an aside, Woodford 4 Wood released last October was outstanding. Do you see any bottles kicking around down where you are? Limited release which is sold out locally, and likely Provincially. If you haven't had it, simply amazing. Yeah technically it isn't Bourbon anymore since it isn't limited to fresh American Oak, who cares? One of the most outstanding whiskies I have ever had.

Well thank you. I've found over the past year that I'm a fan of bourbons with a higher rye and ABV content, mostly because the finish lingers so much longer than with a lower rye or wheated mash bourbon.

Buffalo Trace is probably my favorite distillery. Their name sake bourbon is a notch above pretty much everything in it's price range with the exception of Wild Turkey 101. You should invest in a bottle as it's more or less the younger brother to Eagle Rare.

I need to try Elmer T. Lee (high rye bourbon if I remember correctly) and 4 Roses Single Barrel as I've heard nothing but good things about both, the issue is I can't find the stuff in Pennsylvania. PA has liquor laws that were influenced by prohibition because all liquor distribution is still state controlled, some 81 years after the end of prohibition. The biggest issue with state controlled liquor distribution is that there is absolutely no variety from store to store. I guess I'll have to make a trip out of state if I want to find some new bourbons.

Haven't seen any bottles of Woodford 4 Wood, but I'll be on the lookout now that you mention it.

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased a bottle of Wild Turkey Rare Breed tonight to celebrate landing my first full time job out of college. This stuff is incredible. Not sure what the availability is in Canada, but if you like bourbon and find it, buy it.

Congratulations on the new job! Nice rep on the Rare Breed. Unfortunately we only get 81 as far as I know. I grabbed one of the last bottles of 101 in the province (BC) after it was discontinued. I'm really not sure why it was. I have not had Rare Breed, I'll add it to the endless list of things to acquire when I go to Oregon and Washington.

I grabbed my first bottle of Bulleit Rye last week. I was not surprised to find it a very nice rye. Makes a great Old Fashioned, and now that the Cora Cora oranges are up from California, it is Old Fashioned season bigtime!

I feel the people who peruse this thread already know of this drink, but for the ones who don't, this is how I make an Old Fashioned as follows:

1 sugar cube (I use demerara sugar)

dash of Agnostura bitters (2 - 3 generous drops)

2 1/2 oz Bourbon or Rye

twist of orange zest (careful not to leave too much pith on)

Thoroughly muddle the sugar cube and bitters with just enough Bourbon to wet the cube. Add ice. I use the round Bulleit silicone forms that sometimes come promo on bottles, they offer a low dilution. Add Bourbon. Rub the twist on the rim of your glass and then drop it in. Swirl and drink!

1odj.jpg

It really is a simple and refreshing drink. That tears it, I'm having one right after my beer...

• Upvote 1

For some reason, Redbreast 12 seems not to be stocked anymore in BC. Used to be able to get it no problem through the government liquor store, but they've taken it off their website and a couple of private stores that have good selection have said they can't get it.

Anyone know what's going on here? Better yet, anyone find an Irish whiskey of a comparable quality?

Anyone going to pick up one of these?

ATTENTION JOHNNIE WALKER FANS: $2000 WHISKY COMING TO VANCOUVER

by

REMY SCALZA in FOOD & DRINK on February 8, 2014

scotch.jpg

Photo credit: djwtwo | Flickr

Connoisseurs of fine scotch in Vancouver (with deep pockets) are in for a treat.

Legendary distiller Johnnie Walker has just announced the release of a rare scotch whisky in Vancouver and across Canada. And this one goes way beyond the familiar Red, Black and even Blue labels.

Johnnie Walker Odyssey consists of three rare single malts blended together in accordance with hand-written notes from Sir Alexander Walker (Johnnie’s grandson), then aged in European oak casks. The result: a 750-ml bottle that retails for $2000, or roughly $80 a shot.

So how does it taste?

I’ll probably never get a chance to find out, so here’s the lowdown from Johnnie Walker’s Global Scotch Whisky Ambassador, Ewan Gunn, who was in Vancouver recently and interviewed by the Vancouver Sun. He says Odyssey has a “a lovely honey sweetness and gentle rich texture.” That’s complemented by “a nice zesty citrus note” and a “hint of signature smokiness.” Sounds good, but $2000-good … ?

The name Odyssey derives from the fondness of Sir Alex (1869-1950) for world travels. In fact, Odyssey’s launch has coincided with a round-the-world journey of a 157-foot Johnnie Walker yacht (which must be one heck of a party boat). The yacht made landfall in Asia and Europe in previous months, before reaching North America in January. Along those lines: The Odyssey bottle has a special weighted bottom, designed to rock with the motion of the ocean (just make sure it doesn’t rock right off the table).

Now the real question for all you big spenders: Where can you find Odyssey in Vancouver? Only 46 bottles are available across Canada, with just 24 bottles reserved for B.C. No word yet on exactly which Vancouver liquor stores will have the privilege of carrying this highest of high-end scotch. Legacy Liquor Store in Olympic Village, the largest private store in the province, is known for having an extensive selection of premium spirits and might be a good place to start your search.

Would you pay $2,000 for a bottle of scotch? Let us know below.

http://www.insidevancouver.ca/2014/02/08/attention-johnnie-walker-fans-2000-whisky-coming-to-vancouver/