77 replies to this topic

#1 Jimayo

Jimayo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 12:59 PM

Canada Post Corporation (CPC) conducted a secret four-year study on postal banking, which seems to indicate that getting into financial services would be “a win-win strategy” and a “proven money-maker” for the corporation.
CPC's research study was stopped cold in the fall of 2013, just before the post office announced a five-point plan of massive cuts and steep rate hikes.
Blacklock's Reporter obtained the internal report, including a management report entitled Banking: A Proven Diversification Strategy, through an Access to Information request.
701 of its 811 pages were redacted.
"Based on what we have learned so far," says Gayle Bossenberry, 1st National Vice-President of the Canadian Union of Postal Workers (CUPW), "it seems the report was on track to confirm the recommendations of the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives (CCPA), and vindicate what postal workers have been saying: there's a great potential here to keep the public postal service self-sufficient. But instead they killed the research and buried the report."
Other countries like Switzerland, New Zealand, Italy, and France have bolstered the fortunes of their post offices with revenues from postal banking.
In these countries, the public enjoys a stable public postal service, and increased access to banking.
According to the Blacklock’s article on the report, John Anderson -- author of the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternative's 2013 paper on postal banking -- was surprised by the CPC study but not its content:
"I think anyone seriously studying the subject would see the same opportunity. With 6500 post offices, Canada Post could have the most extensive financial services infrastructure in the country, right off the bat."
"If they were looking at postal banking, why did they consistently tell CUPW that it was not an option they would consider?” asked Bossenberry, adding “And who killed the study?"

http://www.sootoday....medium=facebook

Geez, why would they kibosh a potential revenue increase while gutting canada post?

Because it's not about increasing government revenue.

After reaching record profit levels they first they take 6 billion from the employee pension fund and build a bunch of factories(supposedly for sorting) that they don't use. Then they kibosh a report about increasing revenue in a way that benefits the average canadian. Then they cry about how they are losing money now because letter mail volumes are down(but no mention of paying back money they borrowed being what kills the profitable because mismanagement being the cause would kill their narrative and certainly no mention that addressed ad-mail, flyer and package volumes, you know, the profitable mail, are way, way up). Then they attack the union, blaming the employees for the revenue decrease, knowing the average canadian will never figure out it's because of (intentional?)mismanagement and not high salaries.

The class war is being fought and won by the conservatives and their wealthy patrons. The end goal, as I see it, is wage roll backs to increase profitability before privatising that "boondoggle".
QUOTE("stuckinontario")
QUOTE("Rommsey")
If they can we don't agree then. Do you really try this hard to be this stupid?

I do what I can to come down to your level.

QUOTE("captainkirk")
QUOTE(Wings_Imagery")
Micro evolution doesn't prove Macro evolution...It only proves that species can adapt to new environments, it doesn't prove that they morph into completely different species. i.e. a fish does not turn into a dog.

I guess the drooling football players must have distracted you during the part where the professor told you that you were in anthropology class, not cellular biology.

#2 inane

inane

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,423 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:04 PM

I did.

#3 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,338 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:25 PM

So postal banking is essentially the post office offering some basic banking services like savings and checking accounts?
Posted Image

#4 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 01:38 PM

Canada Post can't even be relied upon to deliver my mail without losing it. No way in holy hell am I letting them anywhere near my money.

o08j21.jpg

Thanks for the sig Twilight Sparkle

#5 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,103 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:27 PM

http://www.sootoday....medium=facebook

Geez, why would they kibosh a potential revenue increase while gutting canada post?

Because it's not about increasing government revenue.

After reaching record profit levels they first they take 6 billion from the employee pension fund and build a bunch of factories(supposedly for sorting) that they don't use. Then they kibosh a report about increasing revenue in a way that benefits the average canadian. Then they cry about how they are losing money now because letter mail volumes are down(but no mention of paying back money they borrowed being what kills the profitable because mismanagement being the cause would kill their narrative and certainly no mention that addressed ad-mail, flyer and package volumes, you know, the profitable mail, are way, way up). Then they attack the union, blaming the employees for the revenue decrease, knowing the average canadian will never figure out it's because of (intentional?)mismanagement and not high salaries.

The class war is being fought and won by the conservatives and their wealthy patrons. The end goal, as I see it, is wage roll backs to increase profitability before privatising that "boondoggle".

It's both.

When you have to pay mail sorters 100k per year plus pension and benefits, it's very difficult to turn a profit.

#6 drummer4now

drummer4now

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:44 PM

It's both.

When you have to pay mail sorters 100k per year plus pension and benefits, it's very difficult to turn a profit.

I would like to know the source from where you got that information from. I know someone who is a mail sorter and makes no where close to that... These salaries are more acceptable http://www.payscale....tor/Hourly_Rate

#7 Jimayo

Jimayo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:47 PM

So postal banking is essentially the post office offering some basic banking services like savings and checking accounts?

Takes the place of places like Money Mart.
QUOTE("stuckinontario")
QUOTE("Rommsey")

QUOTE("captainkirk")
QUOTE(Wings_Imagery")
Micro evolution doesn't prove Macro evolution...It only proves that species can adapt to new environments, it doesn't prove that they morph into completely different species. i.e. a fish does not turn into a dog.

I guess the drooling football players must have distracted you during the part where the professor told you that you were in anthropology class, not cellular biology.

#8 Jimayo

Jimayo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 02:49 PM

It's both.

My wife is a sorter. There are no full time sorters anymore so they are only guaranteed 20 hours a week at $23.95/hr. 20x23.95x52 = $24908/hr. So you are a liar who is actively working to kill middle class jobs.
QUOTE("stuckinontario")
QUOTE("Rommsey")

QUOTE("captainkirk")
QUOTE(Wings_Imagery")

#9 CB007

CB007

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,338 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:19 PM

My wife is a sorter. There are no full time sorters anymore so they are only guaranteed 20 hours a week at $23.95/hr. 20x23.95x52 = $24908/hr yr. So you are a liar who is actively working to kill middle class jobs.

Fixed before inbreds jump all over you.
Posted Image

#10 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,103 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:29 PM

My wife is a sorter. There are no full time sorters anymore so they are only guaranteed 20 hours a week at $23.95/hr. 20x23.95x52 = $24908/hr. So you are a liar who is actively working to kill middle class jobs.

They may not hire full time anymore, but there are plenty of people working there full time.

Those people also get priority for overtime, which is based on seniority. The same employees also make upwards of forty an hour. Factor in a few hours a week of double time and a half and 100k comes pretty quickly.

I have two clients who were mail sorters. I saw both of their tax returns and employment files. They were making 85 to 110k per year. Ridiculous amounts of vacation. Full pension. They sorted mail.

Edited by taxi, 11 February 2014 - 04:30 PM.

#11 Jimayo

Jimayo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 04:56 PM

They may not hire full time anymore, but there are plenty of people working there full time.

Those people also get priority for overtime, which is based on seniority. The same employees also make upwards of forty an hour. Factor in a few hours a week of double time and a half and 100k comes pretty quickly.

I have two clients who were mail sorters. I saw both of their tax returns and employment files. They were making 85 to 110k per year. Ridiculous amounts of vacation. Full pension. They sorted mail.

I'm still gonna call you a liar. Double time and a half? No. Double time is the highest and requires more than 10 hours work in 1 day. And 40/hr? Like I said, my wife works there, it's $23.95/hr.
QUOTE("stuckinontario")
QUOTE("Rommsey")

QUOTE("captainkirk")
QUOTE(Wings_Imagery")

#12 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,103 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:18 PM

I'm still gonna call you a liar. Double time and a half? No. Double time is the highest and requires more than 10 hours work in 1 day. And 40/hr? Like I said, my wife works there, it's $23.95/hr.

You honestly expect us to believe that people don't get raises there ever. ... It's a union.

#13 drummer4now

drummer4now

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 682 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:21 PM

You honestly expect us to believe that people don't get raises there ever. ... It's a union.

Lets just end this conversation by saying you were assuming everyone got paid that salary while maybe less than 10 percent do? Time to move along...

Edited by drummer4now, 11 February 2014 - 05:22 PM.

#14 DonLever

DonLever

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 05:57 PM

Lets just end this conversation by saying you were assuming everyone got paid that salary while maybe less than 10 percent do? Time to move along...

That guy say who said NO ONE makes $100,000 must be wrong if SOME make $100,000. He was calling the other guy a liar which is a very strong statement.

#15 prana16

prana16

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:43 PM

Canada Post can't even be relied upon to deliver my mail without losing it. No way in holy hell am I letting them anywhere near my money.

BS

#16 prana16

prana16

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:47 PM

This is such a colossal load of crap.. my parents both worked at the post office full time.. my mother from the time she was 18 until she retired a couple years ago.. she made barely over $20 an hour at retirement and was one of the top for seniority.

I've hired green labourers on construction sites with no experience for the same wage.

After 35 years of work they were getting like 6 weeks of holidays which is hardly extravagant for that much time put in .. you are a liar.

Edited by prana16, 11 February 2014 - 06:49 PM.

#17 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,765 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:37 PM

It's always someone working in the industry that defends the workers.

A while ago, teachers were on strike and the methodology of the strike takes kids as pawns. Of course, teachers had to insist that the strike (which means no teaching and kids don't learn anything either) was for their benefit.

I believe the teachers - but i also feel that some teachers are mouthpieces for the unions.

The concept of having a union is good, but it's about a sheep mentality. Anyone who strays away from the union's interests will be bullied.

I can remember when Jinny Sims' was in charge of the BCTF (She possibly still is)... wow... she was ruthless.
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#18 prana16

prana16

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 07:58 PM

It's always someone working in the industry that defends the workers.

A while ago, teachers were on strike and the methodology of the strike takes kids as pawns. Of course, teachers had to insist that the strike (which means no teaching and kids don't learn anything either) was for their benefit.

I believe the teachers - but i also feel that some teachers are mouthpieces for the unions.

The concept of having a union is good, but it's about a sheep mentality. Anyone who strays away from the union's interests will be bullied.

I can remember when Jinny Sims' was in charge of the BCTF (She possibly still is)... wow... she was ruthless.

I don't work in the industry.. but people saying postal workers make 100k + per year are full of sh#t.

Its always people out of the industry that have political slants making up wild stories that have ZERO basis in fact and zero evidence.

#19 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:06 PM

BS

Before the invention of online billing, I had to have bills resent multiple times because some blockhead at Canada Post lost my mail. Considering the amount of money they make, you would expect them to at least be competent at their job.

o08j21.jpg

#20 prana16

prana16

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:25 PM

Before the invention of online billing, I had to have bills resent multiple times because some blockhead at Canada Post lost my mail. Considering the amount of money they make, you would expect them to at least be competent at their job.

Someone said they didn't get their bill... so of course it was lost in the mail.. sure thing.

And taking home around 35000 a year sure is living the highlife... 35000 is the new 100k haven't you heard.

Edited by prana16, 11 February 2014 - 08:41 PM.

#21 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:30 PM

Someone said they didn't get their bill... so of course it was lost in the mail.. sure thing.

And taking home around 35000 a year sure is living the highlife... 35000 is the 100k haven't you heard.

Well considering it happened multiple times, from different senders, and it didn't show up, the logical assumption is Canada Post received it and failed to deliver it.

o08j21.jpg

#22 gmen81

gmen81

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,217 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:34 PM

I am a letter carrier for Canada Post and this is not true at all. We do get time and a half for OT, not double time and a half. We get double time if we work on Sunday's, which is only offered during the Christmas season.

No way do we make anywhere close to $40/hr, we did a small raise last year after our new CBA, but it wasn't much of one.

Also if you don't want your mail to be lost you obviously need me to be your letter carrier.
Posted Image

#23 prana16

prana16

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:35 PM

Well considering it happened multiple times, from different senders, and it didn't show up, the logical assumption is Canada Post received it and failed to deliver it.

Yep Newman was keeping all your mail in his closet.. its not like its a major crime for postal workers to just mess with your mail or anything.

#24 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • 6,745 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:57 PM

Yep Newman was keeping all your mail in his closet.. its not like its a major crime for postal workers to just mess with your mail or anything.

I never said it was intentional, merely that there was some serious incompetence going on.

o08j21.jpg

#25 Dazzle

Dazzle

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,765 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:02 PM

For what it's worth, I've used Canada Post a lot, especially recently and it's NEVER been lost once. I can understand when mail gets lost but maybe I'm one of those lucky people.
Posted Image --> THANKS EGATTI.

I have to say Dazzle's was the coolest. ROTFLOL

#26 Ghostsof1915

Ghostsof1915

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,503 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:10 PM

Kind of getting away from the topic at hand. 20+ years ago they were discussing this. Doesn't surprise me that it's cropped up again.
I feel, why not? It would provide a revenue stream and competition to the major banks. It means a small town can have a Canada Post and a Bank. If it makes half the revenue of the major banks, that's money than can pay down the debt.

But you know it won't go through because the banks don't want competition, they want their fat profits.
GO CANUCKS GO!
"The Canucks did not lose in 1994. They just ran out of time.." Barry MacDonald Team1040

Posted Image

#27 n00bxQb

n00bxQb

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,914 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 09:34 PM

Major banks have sway

#28 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:19 PM

For what it's worth, I've used Canada Post a lot, especially recently and it's NEVER been lost once. I can understand when mail gets lost but maybe I'm one of those lucky people.

I've stopped using Canada Post to courier mail for me. It's not often that I have to use a courier for personal reasons but every time I did there were issues. 2 Christmases ago I couriered gifts to Ontario using Canada post. The driver marked the packages down as delivered before he made the delivery to save himself some time. The gifts arrived 2 weeks late as I fought with Canada Post, they had no interest in helping me find the package. They had no proof the delivery was made (receiver's signature) yet they wouldn't budge from their stance that the packages were delivered. I found out that the parcels were sitting in the back of a Canada Post truck for 2 weeks. I didn't get an apology or notification that the items were found, the receiving party were the ones who told me the packages finally arrived.

#29 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,103 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:56 PM

I am a letter carrier for Canada Post and this is not true at all. We do get time and a half for OT, not double time and a half. We get double time if we work on Sunday's, which is only offered during the Christmas season.

No way do we make anywhere close to $40/hr, we did a small raise last year after our new CBA, but it wasn't much of one.

Also if you don't want your mail to be lost you obviously need me to be your letter carrier.

How old are you?

You need to start asking around. No one will probably tell you what the people who've been in the union for twenty years are making, but it's more than you think. I've seen the tax returns and employment files.

Many of them are probably doing half the work of you too. If anyone should be mad it's you. You're the one who is going to get the axe, because the system is bloated.

Edited by taxi, 11 February 2014 - 10:58 PM.

#30 taxi

taxi

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,103 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:59 PM

This is such a colossal load of crap.. my parents both worked at the post office full time.. my mother from the time she was 18 until she retired a couple years ago.. she made barely over $20 an hour at retirement and was one of the top for seniority.

I've hired green labourers on construction sites with no experience for the same wage.

After 35 years of work they were getting like 6 weeks of holidays which is hardly extravagant for that much time put in .. you are a liar.

Postal workers top out at $20/hr?

..... right.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.