The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GM's are paid to GM

J.I.A.H.N

Well, I really don't get it? GM Mike Gillis is paid to make the tough decisions and though I understand Tort's drive to win, Mike Gillis's decision is to be able to establish what the reality is and to make adjustments accordingly.

Case in point, with 5 games left in the season, Mike asks himself and his staff, do we really have a realistic chance to make the playoffs. If the answer is yes, then full steam ahead. If however, the answer is an honest no, then the question is, what is best for the club?

Now, last night LA and many other playoff clubs started resting players with nagging injuries, this happens every year, throughout the league. The win is not important, the message is "If we win good! But don't get injured!". I have heard it said on many NHL panels, and I would argue with anyone that says different. It is a reality!

The Canucks on the other hand, (or rather Gillis) should be making different decisions, asking different questions. Specifically, do we want to throw away draft position by winning enough to take us out of the best draft position possible?

Now, I am not saying don't try, I am saying this is the time to evaluate your farm system. Not on mass, but a few each game, and somewhat like those teams that are making the playoffs, If we win,so be it, but don't get bent out of shape if we play the Shroeders, Sauves, Archibalds, Mallets etc. a few more minutes than we normally do.That should be the message to Tort's.

I not saying play them Kesler minutes, but maybe rotate 4 lines and see what they got! As Gillis should know, this season didn't work out as planned, but we start fresh next season, and we will know more if we evaluate, than if we don't, and a 6th place draft position is a much better position to be sitting in, if a top 5 pick drops.

My opinion is, always try to control your own destiny, and adjust accordingly! Anyone agree with me?

Well, I really don't get it? GM Mike Gillis is paid to make the tough decisions and though I understand Tort's drive to win, Mike Gillis's decision is to be able to establish what the reality is and to make adjustments accordingly.

Case in point, with 5 games left in the season, Mike asks himself and his staff, do we really have a realistic chance to make the playoffs. If the answer is yes, then full steam ahead. If however, the answer is an honest no, then the question is, what is best for the club?

Now, last night LA and many other playoff clubs started resting players with nagging injuries, this happens every year, throughout the league. The win is not important, the message is "If we win good! But don't get injured!". I have heard it said on many NHL panels, and I would argue with anyone that says different. It is a reality!

The Canucks on the other hand, (or rather Gillis) should be making different decisions, asking different questions. Specifically, do we want to throw away draft position by winning enough to take us out of the best draft position possible?

Now, I am not saying don't try, I am saying this is the time to evaluate your farm system. Not on mass, but a few each game, and somewhat like those teams that are making the playoffs, If we win,so be it, but don't get bent out of shape if we play the Shroeders, Sauves, Archibalds, Mallets etc. a few more minutes than we normally do.That should be the message to Tort's.

I not saying play them Kesler minutes, but maybe rotate 4 lines and see what they got! As Gillis should know, this season didn't work out as planned, but we start fresh next season, and we will know more if we evaluate, than if we don't, and a 6th place draft position is a much better position to be sitting in, if a top 5 pick drops.

My opinion is, always try to control your own destiny, and adjust accordingly! Anyone agree with me?

When you start trying to lose, Karma comes back to bite you.

Just look at Edmonton.

Yes I converted let's tank!!

Not saying lets just tank, lets be constructive and tank. LOL......Just a point here, but maybe Torts can learn something here too......take a look at the minutes distribution last night.....aside from Kes, sedins and the dmen...it was pretty evenly shared! That didn';t happen much this year.

Ask the players this. Would you purposely loose so the fans can run you out of town and have the possibility of losing your roster spot to a young up and coming player?

No one said purposly lose......work your farm team. Evaluate!........And by the way, to respond to your comment......young players replacing you are a hockey players reality. Happens every year! Check out how many lost their jobs that way after the last strike.

Any player who loses on purpose is not a pro.

Any boss that wants you to fail is not good at what they do.

Hi, not trying to disrespect you on this, but many many many teams have done this through NHL history........recently (Last 20 years), Pitts, Edmonton,Chicago......2 out of those 3 became dynasties......dont even want to try and think of them all.......PS.....Ive played for a very long time at all different levels, and you are right, players won't tank and I would tell any of my coaches to go..themselves if they asked.......but that's not what I said......I said Gillis has steer the ship.....he makes the decisions....bring up a few rookies...see what happens.......roll all 4 lines......that's all..........NOT SIT KESLER OR HANK.......just roll 4 lines, with a couple of rookies in the line up. Evaluate!

The reality of the situation is beyond this board. I would say most of the members here understand the fragility of this team. If we tank I for one see the upside and as stated you might as well. However, this type of in depth thinking and involvement with the team is not general knowledge within Vancouver. Most people just assume we are terrible right now and even more, a lot of them don't even understand how the draft could benefit us.

You can't forget that majority of Vancouver see the Canucks losing and as a result believe the team is bad. So if the team and MG decide they want to tank then the reality of the situation involves a loss of fanbase, which going forward has a negative impact on revenues. So tanking does not necessarily translate into a positive outcome and to add to this the players we draft probably won't make a real impact until 3+ seasons later. So as we continue to lose, more revenue will be lost, and more fans will be lost and in the long-run they may never return.

Further, the Vancouver Canucks are an organization and as an organization they seek to maximize profits. That is the reality. And if the majority of their fanbase follows when winning then they will try to win. If the only fanbase was CDC then maybe he would tank...but we're not so he'll continue to do as he must as manager and maximize profits.

The reality of the situation is beyond this board. I would say most of the members here understand the fragility of this team. If we tank I for one see the upside and as stated you might as well. However, this type of in depth thinking and involvement with the team is not general knowledge within Vancouver. Most people just assume we are terrible right now and even more, a lot of them don't even understand how the draft could benefit us.

You can't forget that majority of Vancouver see the Canucks losing and as a result believe the team is bad. So if the team and MG decide they want to tank then the reality of the situation involves a loss of fanbase, which going forward has a negative impact on revenues. So tanking does not necessarily translate into a positive outcome and to add to this the players we draft probably won't make a real impact until 3+ seasons later. So as we continue to lose, more revenue will be lost, and more fans will be lost and in the long-run they may never return.

Further, the Vancouver Canucks are an organization and as an organization they seek to maximize profits. That is the reality. And if the majority of their fanbase follows when winning then they will try to win. If the only fanbase was CDC then maybe he would tank...but we're not so he'll continue to do as he must as manager and maximize profits.

Totally agree with your post, except for 2 things. #1. We will not make the playoffs this year, even if we win all our remaining games. #2. I believe this year is somewhat of a anomally(sp)....I think the Canucks are still talented to make the playoffs....aka Dec. this year, where we played pretty good. I think we will have a lower (12 to 16 pick ) next year.Injuries killed us this year. Burrows goals alone would have put us in the playoffs...never mind the rest of the injuries. # 3. Wrong system for the players we have ( I believe) #4 If what I said is true....then this years draft pick should be as good as we can get, within the guise of fairplay and effort. Maybe I am wrong.....I was wrong on the number of points I made...lol..........Really good post! Just thinking about the otherside of the coin.

Hi, not trying to disrespect you on this, but many many many teams have done this through NHL history........recently (Last 20 years), Pitts, Edmonton,Chicago......2 out of those 3 became dynasties......dont even want to try and think of them all.......PS.....Ive played for a very long time at all different levels, and you are right, players won't tank and I would tell any of my coaches to go..themselves if they asked.......but that's not what I said......I said Gillis has steer the ship.....he makes the decisions....bring up a few rookies...see what happens.......roll all 4 lines......that's all..........NOT SIT KESLER OR HANK.......just roll 4 lines, with a couple of rookies in the line up. Evaluate!

why do guys like you that think because you played junior B it somehow makes you a hockey expert

Archived