The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Johnny Canucks Logo

grabner26

343 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Baggins

This is a hockey team. Its not some all encompassing religious shire that need mystical, historical, ethnic and other worldly affirmations. I think we may be looking far too deeply into it.

The stick in the rink is a simple design. Any woman who has even glanced at a hockey game or grew up seeing floor hockey knows what the stick means . It means hockey. The blue is just the color. I dont think it was meant to have a pacific ocean connection, just like I doubt the Maple Leafs are trying to insinuate Ontario trees discard blue leaves.

Sports fans are not generally interested in the deepest meaning of some insignia being indigenous. They dont look at the jerseys to tell everyone about the Pacific North West or its water loving mammals , nor its Native Art.

The stick in the rink is a hockey logo. Its ours. Nobody else has that. Sure, the Islanders and others have some form of stick in theirs but nobody had ever designed a hockey stick as their NHL logo. Its ours.

On the other hand, the Orca is far more complicated to the point of ignorance to just about anyone who comes into contact with it. Most Canadians know Canuck means 'Canadian' but few outside Canada do.

They see the C and understand its the first letter in Canuck, that much is reasonable. However, the casual observer will be just as inclined to see the Orca as a 'whale' . How many sports fans know the difference between any whale and an Orca? Its not a sophistication thats necessary to be a hockey fan. Especially at the age we start watching the sport.

Our American cousins see the whale and rightly assume 'Canuck' means some kind of Whale. The more ignorant of them will think the whale is a 'fish' and think Canuck means fish.

None of it has anything to do with Hockey. Neither did the flying V. At least the Skate and the Stick in the Rink did.

Regardless, the stick in the rink is our logo and will never go away. In my opinion the Orca is a phase just like the Skate and Flying V were. I am sure Johnny Canuck will be a phase one day as well.

You make a good point!

As well, what is longest serving logo of the Canucks team, whether the logo is a primary or secondary logo? Is it the Orca logo of 17 years? No. Is it the Skate logo of 19 years? No.

It is the Stick in Rink logo, which has been used as a primary & secondary/3rd jersey logo for over 21 years.

Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia about the Vancouver Canucks fanbase's disappointment & discord with the current Orca jerseys:

Little more than halfway through the 200607 season, the Canucks announced that they would be changing their jerseys once again. While a report in February 2007 suggested the new scheme would be revealed on August 1, 2007, the new team jersey was actually unveiled prior to training camp, on August 29, 2007. It featured the same orca design present on their previous jerseys, but the colour scheme was updated to their "retro" colours of royal blue and kelly green. Additionally, the word "Vancouver" was added to the chest area above the orca. This move was seen as a way to connect the NHL Canucks' uniform to that of the WHL team, whose members wore uniforms with the word "Canucks" along the top in a similar arched design. The actual jerseys themselves were changed to the Rbk Edge design, along with all other teams in the NHL. The introduction was largely greeted with disappointment from fans and sports commentators, who criticized the uniforms for looking like a "copy and paste" of those from the past. The Vancouver Sun described the new look as "decidedly unpopular."

It was decidedly unpopular because of the Canucks retaining the orca logo. And still to this day, decidedly unpopular.

Keep the stick or bring back the SKATE. If you keep the stick make the background white like the old one was because the Jersey has way too much blue on it.

If you change back to the skate make the jersey black and the skate silver and that'll look AWESOME!

Keep the stick or bring back the SKATE. If you keep the stick make the background white like the old one was because the Jersey has way too much blue on it.

If you change back to the skate make the jersey black and the skate silver and that'll look AWESOME!

Agreed! Way better than the current orca logo!

Or even better let's just leave everything as it is.

canuck is a slang term for canadian. people will get that. if you spew your canuck rhetoric they will think you are confused and rightly so. our canuck is johnny. he plays ice hockey. it is very simple. you could probably come up with a confusing definition of hockey to try to muddle things further in an attempt to justify your loving orcas.

also if you think teams/fans will be intimidated by viscous gangs of roaming whales you are greatly mislead. it does not work that way. teams have never trembled at the thought of facing the maple leafs, red wings, flyers logo, nickname. the best you could hope to do is confuse them . . . it is a whale, an apex hunter, no a canuck, a sea wolf, they hunt in packs, why not a w instead of a c then? they are mammals, no they are sea otters, they swim in the sea, they are seals, ohhhh, can they balance a ball on their noses, they are free willys, very important; they have no natural predators.

also, to try to portray a canuck as some sadsack sap to justify loving orcas is a disgrace. you should not believe everything you have read about canadians. i am canadian. i step in when i need to step in. i help others when they need it. i stand up to bullys. i don't back down when i know i'm right. i have compassion and am sympathetic. i am canadian and i play hockey. do not disparage canadians.

What a lot of BS.

I didn't portray JC as anything I copied and pasted known facts. I was sarcastically taking a rise out of you "over thinkers" who have spent the equivalent of re-writing War and Peace on a logo.

I just dip in now and again to show my friends so we can have a laugh.

It's damned funny.

Baggins is the only sensible one amongst you, the rest of you are just scratching each others balls.

What a lot of BS.

I didn't portray JC as anything I copied and pasted known facts. I was sarcastically taking a rise out of you "over thinkers" who have spent the equivalent of re-writing War and Peace on a logo.

It's damned funny.

Baggins is the only sensible one amongst you, the rest of you are just scratching each others balls.

The huge problem with 'Johnny Canuck' is the fact that he's from a political cartoon. People are complaining that the Orca logo is too "corporate" makes me wonder if people will start to complain that 'johnny' is too "political." Do we really wanna have a logo that is the same thing as Uncle Sam?

1st186.jpg

What a lot of BS.

It's damned funny.

You & the minority of Canuck fans who like the current primary logo have no sense of justified logic & reason whatsoever.

Keep on making invalid & twisted excuses for the Canucks being represented through a cartoony whale. The more you lie to yourself & to others, the more you will believe it is the truth.

Unfortunately for you, Alfstinker, the majority of sensible Canuck fans know what the is the truth. The truth is that a Canuck is not an orca and an orca is not a Canuck.

Have yourself a love in with your Orcan buddies around the campfire singing kumbaya & roasting your nuts!

BTW are you going "laptopping" on your brother's boat? Lol! Wow that sounds like an exciting life experience!

You & the minority of Canuck fans who like the current primary logo have no sense of justified logic & reason whatsoever.

Keep on making invalid & twisted excuses for the Canucks being represented through a cartoony whale. The more you lie to yourself & to others, the more you will believe it is the truth.

Unfortunately for you, Alfstinker, the majority of sensible Canuck fans know what the is the truth. The truth is that a Canuck is not an orca and an orca is not a Canuck.

Have yourself a love in with your Orcan buddies around the campfire singing kumbaya & roasting your nuts!

BTW are you going "laptopping" on your brother's boat? Lol! Wow that sounds like an exciting life experience!

You are weird dude, but passable funny.

PJ, again you are 110% correct. However, we NEED to STOP making our Canuck logo debate PERSONAL. It is frustrating when others don't agree with us and don't see where we're coming from. Even when we get scolded by others for our views and opinions, don't feed into their emotions. It only cancels out our fair argument.

Actually, I was finally able to convince an Orca logo supporter on the message board of a well-known sports logo and uniform website to see how good Johnny Canuck would look on a Canucks jersey. Don't get me wrong. He and I went back and forth about the Orca and JC. However, we both agreed on the Stick 'n Rink. Bottom line is, we both debated in a civilized way. This poster is almost half my age which explains why he favours the current jerseys just like when I favoured our '94 Skate uniforms at the time. We both agreed to disagree and then one day, the Skating JC suddenly grew on him. He replaced the Orca with the Skating Johnny in his avatar(the picture identity of the poster).

Now on with our wonderful and insightful debate! ::D

Here is a Canucks video that explains the Canucks' true heritage and history. Pay attention at the :39 second mark.

Only in your closed mind have I proven the Orca a poor choice.

My question to the person quoted was "What makes a good logo"? He specifically said "the Orca isn't a good HOCKEY logo". To which I responded what does a Bluejay have to do with baseball.

Now you've proven my point with your comment about Nashville. I'm fully aware why they made their choice. The sabre tooth remains were actually found within the city at a construction site. You say the Orca is no good because it's found around the world. Is Nashville the only place sabre tooth remains have been found? Nope. Absolute uniqueness to the location isn't a requirement.

You are so incredibly stuck on the Orca itself as not being "Canuck" when it forms a "C" to represent Canuck. The image that forms that 'C' is to rep where the team plays. There is no simpler way than the "C" to rep the word as it can literally refer to any Canadian. I prefer the Orca C to the Stick in Rink C because it's by far more interesting, aggressive looking, and has the Pacific Northwest element completely lacking in the the Rink C.

Johnny Canuck was portrayed in many professions, not just a lumberjack. Are all lumberjacks Canadian? Are they found in Vancouver only? I somehow doubt it's a major job sector here. Seems to me Paul Bunyan was both a lumberjack and an American. The logo could easily be confused with Paul Bunyan. We're not the Vancouver Johnny Canucks either, so why would we want Johnny Canuck as a logo? We're the Canucks. Canucks is slang for Canadian. How do you portray a Canadian in a logo? We're certainly not a bunch of lumberjacks. Which is why a 'C' is the better choice other than putting the entire word 'Canucks' across the front of the jersey like the Rangers. But going back to the original six, the Rangers uniform was the one I liked the least because of the lack of a crest. I found it rather boring looking in comparison to the other teams.

To me you're clutching at straws to condemn the current logo. It's a C for Canuck, but you can't see past the Orca. My reason for disliking the Johnny logo is simple: The old Johnny logo looks like it should be on the jersey of a peewee team. It's cartoonish and juvenile imo. The stick in rink is boring and generic. It could just as easily be used for Calgary, Chicago, Phoenix, Columbus, Montreal, etc. The V was just too ugly to even consider liking. The only thing I liked about the messy skate was it wasn't the V. When they switched to the Orca I thought they finally came up with a stylish logo that actually applied. Then they got it completely right going back to the original colors.

I totally agree. Will this logo issue ever end (likely not, unfortunately). I was around to see all the logos including the 68-70 WHL Canucks logo which was simple but nice too. I like the current one the best (with the Orca). I don't care if we have "Vancouver" above the crest or not. We could also have "Canucks" above the crest. If anything, I would only tweak the current crest by adding some shiny metallic silver to replace some of the grey trim (for a little extra bling) but that's about it.

You are weird dude, but passable funny.

Lol! You're not bad in the weird department yourself, eventhough we agree to disagree about the logo.

However, one good thing about you, Alf, is that you're a passionate Canuck fan like me!

It could be worse, we could be in Toronto cheering for the Maple Leafs! Lol!

PJ, again you are 110% correct. However, we NEED to STOP making our Canuck logo debate PERSONAL. It is frustrating when others don't agree with us and don't see where we're coming from. Even when we get scolded by others for our views and opinions, don't feed into their emotions. It only cancels out our fair argument.

Actually, I was finally able to convince an Orca logo supporter on the message board of a well-known sports logo and uniform website to see how good Johnny Canuck would look on a Canucks jersey. Don't get me wrong. He and I went back and forth about the Orca and JC. However, we both agreed on the Stick 'n Rink. Bottom line is, we both debated in a civilized way. This poster is almost half my age which explains why he favours the current jerseys just like when I favoured our '94 Skate uniforms at the time. We both agreed to disagree and then one day, the Skating JC suddenly grew on him. He replaced the Orca with the Skating Johnny in his avatar(the picture identity of the poster).

Now on with our wonderful and insightful debate! ::D

Here is a Canucks video that explains the Canucks' true heritage and history. Pay attention at the :39 second mark.

Cheers, Tigerhearted!

You're right & the video is great!

I totally agree. Will this logo issue ever end (likely not, unfortunately). I was around to see all the logos including the 68-70 WHL Canucks logo which was simple but nice too. I like the current one the best (with the Orca). I don't care if we have "Vancouver" above the crest or not. We could also have "Canucks" above the crest. If anything, I would only tweak the current crest by adding some shiny metallic silver to replace some of the grey trim (for a little extra bling) but that's about it.

This logo issue will only end once the Canucks undo the mistakes of the Griffiths family and the Orca Bay ownerships. And that is to go back to their true Canucks roots. The Stick 'n Rink C/Skating Johnny Canuck brand is the only way to go. Either logo can be the primary crest and the other can be the secondary logo and 3rd jersey primary crest.

Primary crest/Secondary logo:

Option 1 - Skating Johnny Canuck/Stick 'n Rink C.

Option 2 - Stick 'n Rink C/Skating Johnny Canuck.

Third Jersey crest:

The secondary logo from the primary set with the primary crest as the secondary logo.

The Orca brand: Future Vancouver Orcas NBA franchise using the Grizzlies' old colours. Black and white for the Orca, turquoise for the B.C. marine waters, and Canadian red. Take a look:

12-30jerseys%20116-820x720.jpg

Lol! You're not bad in the weird department yourself, eventhough we agree to disagree about the logo.

However, one good thing about you, Alf, is that you're a passionate Canuck fan like me!

It could be worse, we could be in Toronto cheering for the Maple Leafs! Lol!

I did, my cousin's a Leafs fan and I went along to see how MR was doing. (she's a big fan, totally destroyed when he wasn't re-signed) Quite well as it turned out. Anyway it wasn't that bad ;)

The orca whale is not a Canuck and the orca does not represent the city of Vancouver.

To represent the city of Vancouver, then it should be a V logo.

The orca logo simply confuses the identity of a Canuck being a whale.

It's like the Canadiens, who also have a boring logo, deciding to change it to a beaver coming out of their C logo and thus calling it a Canadien.

It should be the stick in rink logo for the Canucks. It is boring to you, but most NHL logos aren't that overly exciting, as well.

The orca logo itself is down right silly.

I did, my cousin's a Leafs fan and I went along to see how MR was doing. (she's a big fan, totally destroyed when he wasn't re-signed) Quite well as it turned out. Anyway it wasn't that bad ;)

Lol! That's hilarious!

Yeah, my gf is a big MR fan, too! I liked him, but I guess it was his time to go. We'll be seeing lots of him, now that he's in Calgary.

I was surprised to see the Canucks let Santorelli go to the Leafs. I thought for sure, they'd resign him. Oh well, I have way more faith in the current Canuck management than before with Gillis. Good hockey people in Linden, Benning, Desjardins, etc... It'll take some time, but hope for competitive success in the very near future.

The orca whale is not a Canuck and the orca does not represent the city of Vancouver.

To represent the city of Vancouver, then it should be a V logo.

The orca logo simply confuses the identity of a Canuck being a whale.

It's like the Canadiens, who also have a boring logo, deciding to change it to a beaver coming out of their C logo and thus calling it a Canadien.

It should be the stick in rink logo for the Canucks. It is boring to you, but most NHL logos aren't that overly exciting, as well.

The orca logo itself is down right silly.

There are so many contradictions here:

Logo can't be Orca because it doesn't represent Vancouver, but JC does?

You want the logo to have a V, but also say it should be stick-in-the-rink, which is a C?

No one thinks a Canuck is a whale (and I really hope your "vast majority" isn't as daft), and it doesn't confuse anyone. In fact, I think most people who see the logo first, and then come to Vancouver are most likely going to "get it". Because they're not going to come here and see a bunch of hipster lumberjacks, they're going to come here and see how prolific First Nations art is.

There are so many contradictions here:

Logo can't be Orca because it doesn't represent Vancouver, but JC does?

You want the logo to have a V, but also say it should be stick-in-the-rink, which is a C?

No one thinks a Canuck is a whale (and I really hope your "vast majority" isn't as daft), and it doesn't confuse anyone. In fact, I think most people who see the logo first, and then come to Vancouver are most likely going to "get it". Because they're not going to come here and see a bunch of hipster lumberjacks, they're going to come here and see how prolific First Nations art is.

Well then stylize a C or V logo with the Native Art without any animals jumping out of it and call it a Canuck logo.

The orca is still not a proper Canuck logo no matter how you interpret it. The orca is incorrectly misinterpreted as being a Canuck. Yes, C stands for the Canucks, but the orca does not.

If it is so necessary to have an animal represent this city, the the Canucks should change their nickname & rebrand according to the animal on the logo. If it's the orca, then call them the Orcas.

It's a big misconception & makes the Canuck brand a mockery to have the orca in the logo.

Case in point, Ed Willes of the Province newspaper a couple of Tuesdays ago referred to the Canucks as the Orcans. Tony Gallagher referred the Canucks many times as the Dorcans. They & many people have proven that this current Orca logo is a farce & that the logo needs to be changed to whatever makes sense to the true identity of the Canucks.

I prefer Johnny Canuck & yes there aren't a bunch of lumberjacks running around Vancouver. And there aren't a bunch of Bruins running through the streets of Boston.

But Vancouver started up from the lumber industry.

Eventhough Johnny Canuck logo is a lumberjack, the team was named in honor of the WWII Canadian Soldiers known as the Canucks who fought & died for this country.

This it's a insult to their memory to have a team named Canucks referred to & thought of as Orcans.

Archived