The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Best deals for internet and tv package?

kdub69

I will be moving out and will need internet and tv it doesnt have to be a package im looking for good download and decent upload as well as sone hd channels for sports i will be a new customer and wife is still a student so maybe you guys can post your deals that you have and i might be able to get a similar deal?? Thanks guys!! Go canucks go!!

The cheapest thing to do is have shaw for 6 months, thats how long their new customer promo lasts for, and then have telus for 6 months, for the same reasons as shaw above. So every 6 months you change back and forth and you are a new customer and you get the new customer discount which is 50% off basically for 6 months.

The cheapest thing to do is have shaw for 6 months, thats how long their new customer promo lasts for, and then have telus for 6 months, for the same reasons as shaw above. So every 6 months you change back and forth and you are a new customer and you get the new customer discount which is 50% off basically for 6 months.

Yeah, this is the way to go. I have Bell and really like their hardware/software. You can also look into the free flat screens that Telus gives away if you need one of those.

Yeah, this is the way to go. I have Bell and really like their hardware/software. You can also look into the free flat screens that Telus gives away if you need one of those.

Problem is.. to get a TV he'd be locked into a 2 or 3 year contract where his monthly cost is quite a bit higher.

If he finds the TV worth it then the deferment of TV hardware expenses would be a good idea.

Problem is.. to get a TV he'd be locked into a 2 or 3 year contract where his monthly cost is quite a bit higher.

If he finds the TV worth it then the deferment of TV hardware expenses would be a good idea.

Sadly so. I suggest going for the Shaw package. IMO, I think Shaw has a better deal with T.V's and Telus has a better deal with internet. Shaw would be my go-to for these kinds of situations.

Sadly so. I suggest going for the Shaw package. IMO, I think Shaw has a better deal with T.V's and Telus has a better deal with internet. Shaw would be my go-to for these kinds of situations.

Telus does not have better deals with internet they will not give you internet without having a phone line from them which is minimum $17 dollars a month and thats only if you bitch and get lucky. Their high speed internet is 44 dollars now they recently increased it from 38 and then you need to pay for the phone on top of that so you are paying the exact same for internet with telus which is much slower both upload and download than shaw after the first 6months you will be paying around $60 dollars for both.

If I wasn't so busy with other things to worry about at home I'd do the 6 months on, 6 months off thing just out of principle. :lol:

That's scamming the system hard... Have you actually done that multiple times? Don't they keep track of previous and current subscribers?

Anyway thanks for the tip, I will be notifying the CRTC and RCMP soon.

Jk..

That's scamming the system hard... Have you actually done that multiple times? Don't they keep track of previous and current subscribers?

Jk..

Yea cause telus and shaw considering you a new customer after you've been without their service for 6 months is scamming more like they are completely ripping off idiots who are paying their outrageous prices under contracts. Telus TV costs about 150 dollars a month, probably more now, and requires you to have telus' highspeed internet to use it plus their phone line so you are paying close to 250 dollars a month for telus tv internet and their phone line.

You can get cheaper tv packages yes but the internet price doesn't change nor the phone line so you are paying minimum $100 dollars a month and thats for like 40 channels tops no hd. It's so overpriced its not even funny.

Jk..

Scamming a system that rewards new customers and charges more to existing customers? "Thanks for your loyalty customer you get to pay more than this guy we just met" That "system" is built on BS so scam away.

Yea cause telus and shaw considering you a new customer after you've been without their service for 6 months is scamming more like they are completely ripping off idiots who are paying their outrageous prices under contracts. Telus TV costs about 150 dollars a month, probably more now, and requires you to have telus' highspeed internet to use it plus their phone line so you are paying close to 250 dollars a month for telus tv internet and their phone line.

You can get cheaper tv packages yes but the internet price doesn't change nor the phone line so you are paying minimum $100 dollars a month and thats for like 40 channels tops no hd. It's so overpriced its not even funny.

Are you talking about Optik TV? because here on the Island they only offer Telus satellite TV and its $44.00 dollars a month. That included a free dish, three pvrs, and it doesn't require phone or internet to run it (runs on coaxial cable).

My internet is on Shaw, but the phone is on Telus. I also get 100+ HD channels.

I think it was promotion they were offering a while back..

In total I pay $120 a month for three services...

Umm... I pay Telus $117, have a ton of HD, don't have a phone line and I have great internet that's faster than my previous cable connection.

Not sure where you're getting your "facts" from.

Jk..

How is that a scam?

RAGE RAGE RAGE

:bigblush:

I will agree though that if you can be bothered switching companies every 6 months (or year, or whenever their "introductory rate" expires), that's the way to go. And it is in mo way a scam...it's just a bit of a pain in the arse.

Personally I can't be bothered as you'd have to watch everything you have PVR'd, re-setup your series recordings etc.

I am thinking that next year I'm going to cancel my sports package over the summer to save though. I hardly watch TV period in the summer time.

Also plan on PVR'ing a bunch of kids shows and canceling that package :lol:

Umm... I pay Telus $117, have a ton of HD, don't have a phone line and I have great internet that's faster than my previous cable connection.

Not sure where you're getting your "facts" from.

You cannot get internet or tv without a a telus phone line. You don't even know that you are paying 17 dollars a month for a phone line that you are not even using and on top of that you are paying around 44 dollars a month for internet. You actually tv cost is around 56 dollars a month which is not even going to be half of the channels you can get not including HD.

Unless they've changed recently thats how telus use to be and by use to be i mean within the last year they required you to have all these features and one of the selling points shaw would use is we don't require you to have a phone line. Even if they did change it, it doesn't seem like they changed the pricing much as you're still paying 117 a month. maybe thats why telus increased their internet and tv prices 6 or so months ago so really you're paying pretty much the same.

As for speed differences shaw is light years faster than telus maybe you're just in a bad cable area or maybe you just had their cheapest option but telus internet is not faster than shaw. shaw has like options to get t1 which is like you click on a movie to watch and it pretty much downloads instantly telus would take you 30mins minimum on their fastest speed.

I think that's part of it too why I don't, JR.. I think we have like 35+15 (Treehouse/NickJr) recorded episodes of Bubble Guppies for my daughter, plus like 80 of Umizoomi.

If I could find these episodes online and put them on our NAS drive (only found one season of BG), could just play it on the TV via DLNA without bothering with PVR.

We do pay a pretty penny for Telus Optik, but with deciding to move my mom in from the states, can forget about ever having a Telus bill under $100 again. Already at ~ $130 for 25/something internet and their second lowest Optik TV package (+NFL Redzone and German channels).

You cannot get internet or tv without a a telus phone line. You don't even know that you are paying 17 dollars a month for a phone line that you are not even using and on top of that you are paying around 44 dollars a month for internet. You actually tv cost is around 56 dollars a month which is not even going to be half of the channels you can get not including HD.

Unless they've changed recently thats how telus use to be and by use to be i mean within the last year they required you to have all these features and one of the selling points shaw would use is we don't require you to have a phone line. Even if they did change it, it doesn't seem like they changed the pricing much as you're still paying 117 a month. maybe thats why telus increased their internet and tv prices 6 or so months ago so really you're paying pretty much the same.

As for speed differences shaw is light years faster than telus maybe you're just in a bad cable area or maybe you just had their cheapest option but telus internet is not faster than shaw. shaw has like options to get t1 which is like you click on a movie to watch and it pretty much downloads instantly telus would take you 30mins minimum on their fastest speed.

So you're saying these services come in to our houses via wires eh? :rolleyes: I'd heard it was "tubes".

I never said Shaw doesn't have better (and more expensive) internet options. I'm not comparing apples to oranges. I'm paying less money to Telus for actually faster internet, plenty of HD channels and a far superior (IMO) user experience that I was getting via cable.

My "faster" (and more expensive) cable internet was slower in actual use than my current Telus 25MB service.

FYI, it's $60 regular price (no specials/offers) for their 25MB internet and $29 (again regular price) for their "basic" TV (which includes all the major networks HD channels) for a whopping $89. From there you can add whatever theme packs interest you (that also include HD).

Can anyone guess what Shaw's regular price on their 25MB plan is?

Depends on where you're moving and what your budget is.

If you're a student, there are student plans which are pretty good.

One site I'd recommend checking is:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/hot-deals-f9/?c=5125

That'd be nice, haha.

Shaw used to give me pretty much 50% off my Internet and cable. This year they've switched to only giving a discount on internet. =(

Archived