The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

We HAVE TO draft this kid at the 2015 draft

Konecny is going to be one of those guys who goes 15-20 and turns into a superstar. Every now and then there seems to be a guy who is inexplicably rated lower than he should be. Konecny is that guy this year. Eberle and Giroux are good examples.

Guest Dasein

The definition of BPA, sorry, who it is rather, varies from person to person though. We MUST address our defense no matter what.

BPA is subjective, but we don't need to address defense "no matter what" in the 1st round

It will be a forward if that is the best player left on the board

Contrary to your belief, our list isn't going to look something like:

1. McDavid

2. Eichel

3. Hanafin

4. Provorov

5. Werenski

6. Another D

7. D

8. D

9. D

10. D

11. D

12. D

13. D

31. Dylan Strome

32. Mitchell Marner

Guest Dasein

Too bad we lost our 2nd and 3rd round picks.

Personally, I think JB will pick at least one 2nd/3rd up prior to the draft via trade

BPA is subjective, but we don't need to address defense "no matter what" in the 1st round

1. McDavid

2. Eichel

3. Hanafin

4. Provorov

5. Werenski

6. Another D

7. D

8. D

9. D

10. D

11. D

12. D

13. D

31. Dylan Strome

32. Mitchell Marner

I would throw players into tiers ... if you end up with a forward and defender in the same tier and the forward doesn't jump out take the defender.

1. McDavid

2. Eichel

3. Hanafin

4. Provorov

5. Werenski

6. Another D

7. D

8. D

9. D

10. D

11. D

12. D

13. D

31. Dylan Strome

32. Mitchell Marner

Yes sure, I guess the idea would be to make sure the 'list' is correct. Because the Schroeder is BPA crap needs to END.

Meanwhile, did Carolina firmly believe that Haydn Fleury was BPA? No, probably not. But they also felt, as I do, that the forwards selected beyond him weren't worth switching up the plan to acquire defense for.

Looking at our prospect pool, it's quite plainly light on top-notch D. Last year is was also light on top-notch RWer, and now that's not a concern. Now we should definitely focus on D.

Also, come undone, bottom rung, cheers unsung for Jakob Chychrun. ;)

Konecny is going to be one of those guys who goes 15-20 and turns into a superstar. Every now and then there seems to be a guy who is inexplicably rated lower than he should be. Konecny is that guy this year. Eberle and Giroux are good examples.

These are risk reward picks.

Its impossible to tell how these dynamic little spunks will be able to deal with NHL size ice, D men and forwards on the boards. Some guys have the absolute sheer compete level where their size does not matter, their heart does & their agility makes waves. Forget Patrick Kane > see Brendan Gallagher or Johnny Hockey.

But for every Johnny Hockey there are many guys like Hunter Shinkaruk or Jordan Schroeder. Hey, JS is back in the NHL and I have not written off Hunter. However, many of these guys struggle to figure out how to manipulate their game around the overwhelming big bodies and punishment that is to be had.

In some cases its just training? In Shinkaruk's case, I do not think his upper body strength is / was sufficient for him to be involved in the trenches on the boards. Check out the fore-arms and biceps, never mind the hulking shoulders below. Which was set back further by shoulder issues. Hopefully a dose of pro reality, and he will be hard at work in the gym to catch up this summer.

http://2.cdn.nhle.com/canucks/images/upload/gallery/2013/08/BasementHunter_slide.jpg

http://2.cdn.nhle.com/canucks/images/upload/2013/07/July913_prospects2_biggy.jpg

I would prefer to draft someone whose size and athleticism are at NHL standards already in the mid to high first round. Hey, I could be making a mistake bundling Konecny in with pics of Shinkaruk and his shoulders. He is Horvat's cousin, lol. But I would be paying awfully close attention pre-draft fitness scores.

And take ''risks'' on guys in later rounds. Noting also where Gaudreau and Gallagher were drafted to absolve such risk!

I always get a laugh a bit when people chime in bpa, always take the bpa. Obviously the NHL GM's don't operate that way so I don't know why people think that. It's a great guideline but there is a reason teams have long discussions amongst themselves before going up to the podium.

These are risk reward picks.

Its impossible to tell how these dynamic little spunks will be able to deal with NHL size ice, D men and forwards on the boards. Some guys have the absolute sheer compete level where their size does not matter, their heart does & their agility makes waves. Forget Patrick Kane > see Brendan Gallagher or Johnny Hockey.

But for every Johnny Hockey there are many guys like Hunter Shinkaruk or Jordan Schroeder. Hey, JS is back in the NHL and I have not written off Hunter. However, many of these guys struggle to figure out how to manipulate their game around the overwhelming big bodies and punishment that is to be had.

In some cases its just training? In Shinkaruk's case, I do not think his upper body strength is / was sufficient for him to be involved in the trenches on the boards. Check out the fore-arms and biceps, never mind the hulking shoulders below. Which was set back further by shoulder issues. Hopefully a dose of pro reality, and he will be hard at work in the gym to catch up this summer.

http://2.cdn.nhle.com/canucks/images/upload/gallery/2013/08/BasementHunter_slide.jpg

http://2.cdn.nhle.com/canucks/images/upload/2013/07/July913_prospects2_biggy.jpg

I would prefer to draft someone whose size and athleticism are at NHL standards already in the mid to high first round. Hey, I could be making a mistake bundling Konecny in with pics of Shinkaruk and his shoulders. He is Horvat's cousin, lol. But I would be paying awfully close attention pre-draft fitness scores.

And take ''risks'' on guys in later rounds. Noting also where Gaudreau and Gallagher were drafted to absolve such risk!

Gaudreau's season proved a couple things. That 150lb soaking wet boys can have a place in the NHL. And that you can potentially find them late in drafts.

Not sure if his success this season sets an ongoing trend, but it surely benefits an offense-starved league that wants to expand pretty quick here. I for one would prefer my star players to be a bit more, I dunno, legit?

Nope

BPA

If that's a defenceman, sure

In the last 10 years we have drafted 11 forwards in the first round. Currently we have Horvat and Kassian in our line up to show for it. Its not like drafting forwards is the so much more reliable bet.

BPA? Sure.

Problem number one is, we have been picking hype, not BPA in following the forward party line. Bottom line is forwards get hyped more and that jades the truth about who the BPA is. We overlooked significant flaws in some of the forwards we selected. Thats not BPA!

Problem #2 is, we cannot completely ignore one category of the draft, defence. Statistically, if we wanted a good NHL D core, our proportion of D selected in each round should at least be proportionate to the number of defenders on ice versus forwards.

Its absolutely not logical that in the last ten years never has the BPA been a D man when we went up to the podium.

Now that we have a stable of good forward prospects, unless the forward is a Bloody obvious BPA we should start accumulating some D talent!

Add Rasmus Andersson.

He's rated waaay lower isnt he?

50th or so last time I looked. Not exactly the can't miss stud. (just looked at another list; 84th http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/article/53-ohl-players-in-nhl-cs-midterm-rankings )

I just argued we should take a D man. But if we're investing a first rounder, it had better be on the best of fundamentals!

Gaudreau's season proved a couple things. That 150lb soaking wet boys can have a place in the NHL. And that you can potentially find them late in drafts.

Not sure if his success this season sets an ongoing trend, but it surely benefits an offense-starved league that wants to expand pretty quick here. I for one would prefer my star players to be a bit more, I dunno, legit?

I'm not sure we disagree.

My point was it is just hard to predict which of these small guys actually has the jam? More fail than succeed, and in some cases the reason they fail (or succeed) is predictable.

I do agree more will make it as the league expands, and looks for offense. And when built into a team, and line that otherwise also has big athletic players, your opportunity to give them a chance to succeed is also better.

In the last 10 years we have drafted 11 forwards in the first round. Currently we have Horvat and Kassian in our line up to show for it. Its not like drafting forwards is the so much more reliable bet.

BPA? Sure.

Problem number one is, we have been picking hype, not BPA in following the forward party line. Bottom line is forwards get hyped more and that jades the truth about who the BPA is. We overlooked significant flaws in some of the forwards we selected. Thats not BPA!

Problem #2 is, we cannot completely ignore one category of the draft, defence. Statistically, if we wanted a good NHL D core, our proportion of D selected in each round should at least be proportionate to the number of defenders on ice versus forwards.

Its absolutely not logical that in the last ten years never has the BPA been a D man when we went up to the podium.

Now that we have a stable of good forward prospects, unless the forward is a Bloody obvious BPA we should start accumulating some D talent!

I don't know if a guy like Zacha or Rantanen will fall to us, but there aren't many other options to ditch a top defenseman for imho.

Then maybe other teams ahead of us will go for skilled forwards instead of skilled defensemen. Does Werenski, Provorov, Kylington fall? Otherwise a guy like Pilon or Andersson could rise like Sanheim did last year.

Meanwhile Vince Dunn just opened the playoffs with a 4-goal night? Impressive.

Archived