The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eastside Hockey Manager 2015/Early Access Edition

Rick Grimes

7 hours ago, westvandude said:

This to me looks like a broken game.. no way in a salary cap system can a team win so many back to back stanley cups! There needs to be a proper rebuild-contend cycle, and even in your contending years, you shouldn't be able to win so many cups... where are the other contending teams?! There are 30 teams, so on average you should be winning 1 in 30 seasons.. and with good strategic decisions, you could maybe increase that to 2 or 3 every 10-15 years given 5-7 year rebuild/contend cycles.

I don't get people who like to play games like this... the unrealisim and lack of challenge would bore me very quickly.

this is the only save where I have won this many cups. In other saves my best was 7 cups by 2040. The game undervalues draft picks and that is the only reason you can build dynasties. And I usually play on saves that I make realistic by not trading players teams don't want and by not stacking up draft picks. That's when the game becomes really fun

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, -Stammer- said:

this is the only save where I have won this many cups. In other saves my best was 7 cups by 2040. The game undervalues draft picks and that is the only reason you can build dynasties. And I usually play on saves that I make realistic by not trading players teams don't want and by not stacking up draft picks. That's when the game becomes really fun

This is one of the reasons I actually prefer games that aren't trying to be so realistic and simulating every little aspect of the real life, that the game becomes so complicated it's nearly impossible to have a good AI. And a bad AI is a quick way to ruin the whole experience, specially from the realism aspect. The other reason I can't get into these overly complicated sim games is the time it takes to learn the mechanics of the game. I own both this and the Franchise Hockey Manager 3 games and have tried some of the Football Manager games that have come out every year. One main problem: I can never commit the time necessary to learn the mechanism enough to not feel like things are happening randomly. As a busy person, it's hard to commit 20+ hours just to learn the game, and many more just to play a few seasons.

I would love to see simpler management type games that focus on the key aspects of a good sim (like focus on 6-10 skills for each player instead of the 20+ and their happiness and royalty and their suddenly random ask to go to a different team...) Not only this makes the game much quicker to learn and play (so more people can play it) but also you can have a much better AI that would almost feel human, simply because the rules are simple enough for our current technology to be able to do the proper analysis and calculations.

In that sense, board games are a great example, due to technological limitations and also time limitations and need for simplicity so new people can get into it easily, create a situation where these games have to focus on a few important gameplay elements as opposed to trying to handle a ton of different details. Now if you could apply that principle to an computer game where you don't have the technological limitations (aside from the AI limitations as mentioned above), then you can have a game that not only a lot more people can get into, but the game itself would be much better with things like AI that can be perfected much easier.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, BananaMash said:

It's significantly better than the Franchise Hockey series in my opinion. Better AI, more intuitive.

Ive not even gotten as far as playing a game on FHM4 yet, it's taken me 4 hours to get through the Expansion Draft and set up my lines.

EHM is definitely the more user-friendly of the two.

AI is so strange in FHM4. Here are some trades that went through, me being Vegas through the Expansion Draft and out the other side:

To VAN: Vadim Shipachyov + 2019 2nd

To VGK: Bo Horvat + Olli Juolevi

To ANA: 2020 4th

To VGK: Maxime Comtois

To NYR: Michael Grabner + Luca Sbisa

To VGK: Mats Zuccarello + Brady Skjei

To STL: Bobby Ryan + Teemu Pulkkinen

To VGK: Vladimir Tarasenko

To BOS: Mikhail Grigorenko + 2020 1st

To VGK: Brad Marchand

And then these wouldn't go through, despite the feedback saying it was an overpayment and they'd definitely accept it:

To EDM: Bo Horvat + Nick Suzuki + Cody Glass + 2018 1st + 2019 1st

To VGK: Connor McDavid

To NYI: Sami Vatanen + Petr Mrazek

To VGK: Calvin de Haan + Josh Ho-Sang

To DET: Matt Dumba + Anton Lander + 2018 3rd

To VGK: Mike Green

Overall, the game is so fiddly, and you have to select so many options on the strategy screen that it's been a huge chore to play thus far. Not at all fun like EHM.

• 4 months later...
On 3/5/2018 at 4:20 AM, -Stammer- said:

Henrik just retired as a scout :(

Henrik.JPG

"Likes to roll all his lines" - someone clearly learned from Willie D :lol:

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, -Stammer- said:

yeah, Brock is a beast, v10.1 is on the steam workshop

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=567307051

Where the hell do you get all the club logo images and player photos? I blew away the old install path and redownloaded the game because I was using an older database for 1998, but everything is missing.

Nevermind. Guess you have to manually download from their site and install? Doing that now..

Edited by Tortorella's Rant

• 3 weeks later...

So I just looked back at the Hall of Fame on my game...pretty much every goalie playing today is in there, if they have 300 wins or more. I count 27 goalies currently active in the NHL.

Then you get people like...Slava Voynov. Matt Carle. Dennis Wideman. MDZ. Matt Niskanen. Jason Pomonville. Mike Ribeiro. Cam Atkinson. James Neal.

It's why I constantly get drawn back to the game, for the chaos of each game being different.

Would anyone recommend the new roster updates?

• 1 month later...
On 2018-04-17 at 12:05 PM, Captain Azzy said:

So I just looked back at the Hall of Fame on my game...pretty much every goalie playing today is in there, if they have 300 wins or more. I count 27 goalies currently active in the NHL.

Then you get people like...Slava Voynov. Matt Carle. Dennis Wideman. MDZ. Matt Niskanen. Jason Pomonville. Mike Ribeiro. Cam Atkinson. James Neal.

It's why I constantly get drawn back to the game, for the chaos of each game being different.

I always try the new updates. I'd like game overall to be updated, but oh well. It's fun trying out new stuff, new rosters etc.. 

On 2018-04-17 at 1:05 PM, Captain Azzy said:

Hall of fame is pointless in a video game anyway.