The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Proposal) Moving out valuable vets for elite prospects (long read)

If we are far out of a playoff spot come the trade deadline, I would like to see the following trades happening.

Trade 1:

To Carolina: Mccann and the Canucks' 2016 2nd round pick

To Vancouver: Haydn Fleury

Fleury took a step back last year while Mccann took a step foward. Carolina are loaded with young talent on their defense but doesn't have lots of good forward prospects to replace the Staals. Mccann can be a 1/2nd line center if he reaches his full potential. We add our second rounder since Fleury is still worth more and has the potential to be a top pairing defensemen, which are more rare and more valuable then potential 1st line centers.

Trade 2:

To any team: Brandon Prust

To Vancouver: 2016 third round pick

Even though Prust is usualy considered a "goon", he brings tremendous leadership qualities to any team in the NHL. If a contending team is trying to get over the hump, then Prust is the perfect bottom 6 grinder who could kill penalties, stand up for his teams and also be an emotional leader in the locker room.

Trade 3:

To Detroit: Alex Edler and the Canucks' 2016 third round pick

To Vancouver: Detroits 2016 1st and Anthony Mantha

This trade totally depends on how the Red Wings are doing and if Mantha keeps struggling in the AHL. As of this moment, it looks like Detroit will once again be a playoff team, but not a contender. This means that they will probably be picking in the 15-20 range. Edler is still a top pairing defensemen and would be a perfect #2 beside Kronwall. Edler would be more then happy to go to Detroit and play alongside Datsyuk, Zetterberg and Kronwall. The reason I want to trade him is because he will turn 30 next year and has two years at most as a top pairing defensemen. I know that this will make our already abysmal defense even worst, but if we don't trade Edler now, then we won't be getting his full value in return.

Trade 4:

To a contender he waives to: Chris Higgins

To Vancouver: 2016 2nd round pick

Higgins is a perfect 3rd line winger that could score 15 goals and put up 35 points while playing consistent defense. A contending team looking for more forward depth would be glad to give up a late 2nd rounder for Higgins.

Trade 5:

To Washington: Dan Hamhuis a 2016 third round pick (Prust)

To Vancouver: Madison Bowey

We trade Hamhuis and an early 3rd rounder for Bowey. I think Hamhuis would waive his NTC to go to Washington because it's a great city and it gives him the opportunity to play beside the likes of Ovechkin, Backstrom and Carlson while being coaches by Trotz. The Caps are in a win now mode and with Oshie and Williams now on their team I think they could be legit contenders for the cup. Hamhuis shores up their defence while also getting an early 3rd rounder in a deep draft. Hamhuis is still a good #3 defensemen (especially in the less competitive Eastern Conference). I think this trade only works if Hamhuis and the Caps work out a deal before the trade happens (like Bieksa and the Ducks). This would instantly make Washington a legit cup contender in the East while Ovechkin and Backstrom are still in their prime.

Trade 6:

To Anaheim: Detroit's 2016 first round pick and a 2016 2nd rounder (Higgins)

To Vancouver: Shea Theodore

Anaheim has four young PMD in Fowler, Vatanen, Lindholm and Depres. I just don't see how Theodore fits into their future. We give Anaheim a mid first rounder and a high 3rd rounder in a very deep draft for a guy that could become a top pairing Dman in the near future.

Trade 7:

To NYI: Radim Vrbata and Hunter Shinkaruk

To Vancouver: Micheal Dal Colle

Vrbata would waive his NTC to have the opportunity to play alongside Tavares and a young contending team. With the rumours about Kyle Okposo leaving New York, Garth Snow would be more then happy to get Radim Vrbata to play alongside Tavares or on their second line. This deal only works if Vrbata signs a new contract before getting traded like Bieksa (and Hamhuis in the previous trade). We add Shinkaruk as a part of the deal because Vrbata only has 2-3 left as a good top 6 forward before entering the twilight of his career, so we add a player who could become a future top 6 player in Shinkaruk while receiving a potential 1st line winger.

With these trades, we are left with only our own 1st round pick. I'm fine with that since we've used up the other picks to get proven prospects that are 2-3 into their development. We would probably get a top ten pick next year, and I would like to use that pick on a potential #1 center. Some options could be Logan Brown, Sam Steel and Dmitri Sokolov.

This team would be able to compete in 3 years and hopefully win a cup sometime in the next 10 years.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If everything pans out, this team will be legit contender in 3 years and could win a cup in 2022 when everyone hits their prime.

Canucks Lineup in 7 years:

Dal Colle(26)-2016 draft(24)-Mantha(28)

Baertschi(29)Horvat(27)-Virtanen(26)

Gaunce(28)-Cassels(27)-Boeser(25)

Kenins(31)-Grenier(31)-Jensen(29)

Theodore(27)-Bowey(27)

Fleury(26)-Corrado(29)

Pedan(28)-Tanev(32)

Demko(26)

Markstrom(32)

Thoughts?

IMO I think all but the Higgins deal is terrible, sorry. I don't see too much good in moving out our top prospects for other top prospects. The Dal Colle trade is huge overpayment as he hasn't exactly excelled since being drafted, yes he has potential but so does Boeser. I don't really see too much good in these.

I don't see why you're sending Shinkaruk, McCann, and Boeser away. Basically swapping prospects for prospects. I honestly can't see the lineup also making an impact in the NHL. IMO Fox will never see the NHL as a regular.

If we are far out of a playoff spot come the trade deadline, I would like to see the following trades happening.

Trade 1:

To Carolina: Mccann and the Canucks' 2016 2nd round pick

To Vancouver: Haydn Fleury

Fleury took a step back last year while Mccann took a step foward. Carolina are loaded with young talent on their defense but doesn't have lots of good forward prospects to replace the Staals. Mccann can be a 1/2nd line center if he reaches his full potential. We add our second rounder since Fleury is still worth more and has the potential to be a top pairing defensemen, which are more rare and more valuable then potential 1st line centers.

Trade 2:

To Detroit: Alex Edler and Anaheim's 2016 2nd round pick

To Vancouver: Detroits 2016 1st and Anthony Mantha

This trade totally depends on how the Red Wings are doing and if Mantha keeps struggling in the AHL. As of this moment, it looks like Detroit will once again be a playoff team, but not a contender. This means that they will probably be picking in the 15-20 range. Edler is still a top pairing defensemen and would be a perfect #2 beside Kronwall. The reason I want to trade Edler is because he will turn 30 next year and has two years at most as a top pairing defensemen. I know that this will make our already abysmal defense even worst, but if we don't trade Edler now, then we won't be getting his full value in return.

Trade 3:

To a contender he waives to: Chris Higgins

To Vancouver: 2016 2nd round pick

Higgins is a perfect 3rd line winger that could score 15 goals and put up 35 points while playing consistent defense. A contending team looking for more forward depth would be glad to give up a late 2nd rounder for Higgins.

Trade 4:

To Washington: Dan Hamhuis and a 2016 2nd rounder (Higgins)

To Vancouver: Madison Bowey

We trade Hamhuis and a late second rounder for Bowey. The Caps are in a win now mode and with Oshie and Williams now on their team I think they could be legit contenders for the cup. Hamhuis shores up their defence while also getting a late second rounder in a deep draft. Hamhuis is still a good #3 defensemen (especially in the less competitive Eastern Conference). I think this trade only works if Hamhuis and the Caps work out a deal before the trade happens (like Bieksa and the Ducks). This would instantly make Washington a legit cup contender in the East while Ovechkin and Backstrom are still in their prime.

Trade 5:

To Anaheim: Detroit's 2016 first round pick and Hunter Shinkaruk

To Vancouver: Shea Theodore

Anaheim has four young PMD in Fowler, Vatanen, Lindholm and Depres. I just don't see how Theodore fits into their future. We give Anaheim a mid first rounder in a very deep draft and a prospect that has the potential to be a future top 6 forward for a guy that could become a top pairing Dman in the near future.

Trade 6:

To NYI: Radim Vrbata and Brock Boeser

To Vancouver: Micheal Dal Colle

With the rumours about Kyle Okposo leaving New York, Garth Snow would be more then happy to get Radim Vrbata to play alongside Tavares or on their second line. This deal only works if Vrbata signs a new contract before getting traded like Bieksa (and Hamhuis in the previous trade). We add Boeser as a part of the deal because Vrbata only has 2-3 left as a good top 6 forward before entering the twilight of his career, so we add a player who could become a future top 6 player in Boeser while receiving a potential 1st line winger.

We would probably get a top ten pick next year, and I would like to use that pick on a potential #1 center. Some options could be Logan Brown, Sam Steel and Dmitri Sokolov.

This team would be able to compete in 3 years and hopefully win a cup sometime in the next 10 years.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If everything pans out, this team will be legit contender in 3 years and could win a cup in 2022 when everyone hits their prime.

Canucks Lineup in 7 years:

Dal Colle(26)-2016 draft(24)-Mantha(28)

Baertschi(29)Horvat(27)-Virtanen(26)

Gaunce(28)-Cassels(27)-Jensen(29)

Kenins(31)-Grenier(31)-Fox(29)

Theodore(27)-Bowey(27)

Fleury(26)-Corrado(29)

Pedan(28)-Tanev(32)

Demko(26)

Markstrom(32)

Thoughts?

The only trade I don't agree with is the one sending Shinkaruk AND a 1st for Theodore. It just seems like too much of an overpayment. Honestly I think by the time our team would look like that having Tanev on the third pairing seems like a waste. so maybe keep shink and the 1st then when the time comes trade Tanev for a D-man that plays left side and move Fleury up. Then if we still need that NO.1 C trade up in the draft with the 1st round picks acquired and get a top center (Hopefully Matthews).

So McCann improved while Fleury got worse yet we still throw in a 2nd rounder? They weren't as far apart as their draft position suggests to begin with, but it's much closer now. I didn't really read the detail on the rest as they seemed like overpayments in large part as well.

So McCann improved while Fleury got worse yet we still throw in a 2nd rounder? They weren't as far apart as their draft position suggests to begin with, but it's much closer now. I didn't really read the detail on the rest as they seemed like overpayments in large part as well.

I agree, McCann was projected to be around 10th OA while Flery was picked at 7th. While McCann has show he has a decent chance to be a top 6 player (maybe even 1C) while Fleury has regressed in his draft +1 season. I would say they're relatively similar in trade value. So if we were to make a trade like this why give up the extra pick. If we make all the trades listed in the original post (didn't like the Theodore trade) then why would we need another potential top pairing D-man at a price that high. I would be alright if we traded McCann and Subban for Fleury and a 5th rounder. Might not get fleury but imo Fleury isint as good as hes hyped to be and I think he'll just be a good number 3 dman (Edler like).I would rather just keep McCann and the 2nd and use it to draft some decent D-men. if the trades with Theodore and Bowey are gonna happen then we could use McCann as our 1C and Draft some defenseman in the first or second round(Finally). All the other offers you listed I agree with (other than shink and a 1st for Theodore) Good post OP

Trade 1- You are basically weakening one hole trying to fill another. Fleury took a step back, and McCann took one forward. Making a trade for a prospect while also throwing in a 2nd rd pick is kind of risky and may not pan out.

Trade 2- Very do-able. I think Prust will have some value come the trade deadline for a team that will be in the playoffs

Trade 3- Makes no sense. First of all Detroit has no cap space to fit Edler in. Second if you were wanting to add a D prospect this would be the perfect scenario to get Joe Hicketts out of Detroit. Also there is no way we should be giving up pick aswell.

Trade 4- Last I read there was absolutely no trade market value on Higgins, Benning has tried and was unsuccessful. The best we can hope for is a 3rd rounder at the deadline.

Trade 5- Washington has a worse D prospect pool than we do. No way they give up there future in Bowey for 1 playoff push of Hamhuis and a 3rd.

Trade 6- This Trade will no happen for the sole fact we wont have Detroits pick as they have no cap space to get Edler. I think we have a Chance at Theodore as Anaheim has one of the best groups of young NHL Dman as 5 solid up and coming prospects. I would look at a deadline deal around Hamhuis.

Trade 7- Really makes no sense to me again. A playoff push from Vrbata is not enough reason for NYI to give up Dal Colle, even adding Shink will still end in the same result.

Where exactly are the elite prospects in any of these proposals?

Also, first trade in a thread titled Moving out valuable vets for elite prospects involves a prospect and a pick for another prospect.

10/10, would recommend to friends & family. Gold star.

Archived