The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

What a stupid counter. We pay our taxes because it's our duty but we don't pay more than we have to, especially when it comes to investment selection.

Meaning, if it wasn't for forced taxation (your "duty"), you would not willingly and voluntarily choose to fund "public" services and invest in the government's fiscal decisions.

Everybody who wasnt there or was a kid in 1995 thinks prices have gone up so much on everything. On housing, Yes, in Greater Vancouver especially, pricing has gone through the roof, everything else, not so much. Flights are so much cheaper now. You couldnt go to Expedia back then to get a great rate on a hotel. It didnt exist. None of those sites did. Amazon? Ebay? Craigslist? No no and no. The internet existed but buying anything online was still very new. (Ebay actually did start in Sept 1995 but it was so small it was a side business of 1 man).

Go to Costco and find anything that costs 3X as much now. Christ a lot of basic stuff is cheaper.

P.S. The average price of gas at the pump in Canada right now is $1.04 liter. Exactly 10 years ago it was $1.04 liter . But gas prices have always been tied to Saudia Arabia and OPEC playing politics more than actual free market inflation.

Average new car/truck price in 1995: $19,850 . in 2015: $33,400. So 168%.

Again, 'flights' are not part of the common household monthly budget.

You need to factor in the quality of the basic stuff that is cheaper. How much smaller is a Reece's peanut butter cup today than even 5 years ago? (Hint: its smaller and the quality of chocolate has decreased as well). If the garbage 'every day stuff' from China is more inexpensive, it is because it is cheaper and lower quality.

The average domestic pickup truck from 1995 lasted how long?

The average domestic pickup truck built in 2005 last probably 3-5 years less on average, if not more.

High demand doesnt really help the Canadian oil industry where its costing more to produce the oil than they can sell it for. They need the price to go up and that is controlled globally by Saudi Arabia who are keeping production high to maintain the glut and force companies to close wells and in some cases go bankrupt. They are taking the loses to kill competition and no amount of Canadian Infrastructure works are going to have any effect on the global price of oil as long as they are doing this.

You have 5 - 10% gold in your portfolio?

Normally, my equity mutual funds should have some resource companies in there. Whether they are gold companies or not I don't pay enough attention. But in principle, I don't object to 5% to 10% of a portfolio in gold. But I would never allocate a significant portion of my port into gold for long term unless in extreme circumstances which we seldom find ourselves in fortunately.

Of course not. Nobody would. Tax only works when it is mandatory where everyone knows everyone else is, more or less, paying their fair share.

So it is forced against people's will.

This model of robbery will be broken once the government loses its monopoly control of the monetary system and the issuance of currency.

The government won't be able to take what it cannot control.

• Upvote 2

Reading you guys talk about Oil...

my eyes.  

This is my take on oil. 

I am currently consulting for The Korean National Oil Company on a project south of Grande Prairie harvesting liquid rich montney shale "tight oil" I have consulted for a handful of different companies in the tight oil plays. I have drilled in parts of Texas, ND, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Ohio. They are all basically the same as far as production rates and most importantly, decline rates. 

North American tight oil depletes between 40-80% within 8-18 months of initial production. 

The North American rig count is down +/- 60% from a year ago. The rig count didn't really start to decline until January 2015. If you take the depletion rates and match them with the start of the rig decline we should start to see a steeper decline in production around Jan 2016.

At the height of drilling we saw over 1600 rigs drilling for oil in the USA alone, today there is 595. You cannot maintain production with the depletion rates of tight oil with 595 rigs.

You hear these traders talking about new technologies like more frac sand per ft and drilling pads, with extended reach horizontals making this huge impact that will offset the rig decline, blah blah blah. It's complete garbage, those aren't new technologies and it still doesn't solve the main issue with tight oil and that is the depletion rate. There is no technologies in existence that can allow you to pump more oil longer. Because you are creating porosity artificially through fracturing, your production will only come from your furthest crack, then that's it. 1 year later you need 2 wells to replace the one that died, and increase production. 

Iran is already selling all the Oil they pump, this scare is coming a little premature. They need contracts with big oil to come in and drill then put it online. It's at least 1 year away from the date they remove the sanctions. 

If you can put all this together, you can see what could be on the horizon.

you are going to see some big seasonal builds from now till the week ending before American thanks giving. After that the inventory will draw, once Christmas is done the second wave of seasonal builds will be non existent because of the steep decline in USA oil production picking up steam around January. 

Buy energy before  American thanks giving. 

Edited by LaBamba
  • Upvote 2

Reading you guys talk about Oil...

my eyes.  

This is my take on oil. 

I am currently consulting for The Korean National Oil Company on a project south of Grande Prairie harvesting liquid rich montney shale "tight oil" I have consulted for a handful of different companies in the tight oil plays. I have drilled in parts of Texas, ND, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, and Ohio. They are all basically the same as far as production rates and most importantly, decline rates. 

North American tight oil depletes between 40-80% within 8-18 months of initial production. 

The North American rig count is down +/- 60% from a year ago. The rig count didn't really start to decline until January 2015. If you take the depletion rates and match them with the start of the rig decline we should start to see a steeper decline in production around Jan 2016.

At the height of drilling we saw over 1600 rigs drilling for oil in the USA alone, today there is 595. You cannot maintain production with the depletion rates of tight oil with 595 rigs.

You hear these traders talking about new technologies like more frac sand per ft and drilling pads, with extended reach horizontals making this huge impact that will offset the rig decline, blah blah blah. It's complete garbage, those aren't new technologies and it still doesn't solve the main issue with tight oil and that is the depletion rate. There is no technologies in existence that can allow you to pump more oil longer. Because you are creating porosity artificially through fracturing, your production will only come from your furthest crack, then that's it. 1 year later you need 2 wells to replace the one that died, and increase production. 

Iran is already selling all the Oil they pump, this scare is coming a little premature. They need contracts with big oil to come in and drill then put it online. It's at least 1 year away from the date they remove the sanctions. 

If you can put all this together, you can see what could be on the horizon.

you are going to see some big seasonal builds from now till the week ending before American thanks giving. After that the inventory will draw, once Christmas is done the second wave of seasonal builds will be non existent because of the steep decline in USA oil production picking up steam around January. 

Buy energy before  American thanks giving. 

So what you are saying is oil prices will rise, our dollar will go back up from around US Thanksgiving to Jan 2016?

EDIT: The TSX went up yesterday in reaction to Liberal win.

Edited by Hugor Hill

So what you are saying is oil prices will rise, our dollar will go back up from around US Thanksgiving to Jan 2016?

EDIT: The TSX went up yesterday in reaction to Liberal win.

I'm predicting a stronger bbl of oil and a stronger CAD because of Oil, and because the fed will not be able to raise the interest rate anytime soon some of the strength in the American dollar will disappear. Most of the USD strength is due to the anticipated rate hike that will not happen. 

i have a handful of JR energy companies I short to make money off Volatility. If you can find some with good liquidity it's really easy to make money with these seasonal builds. 

Wed at 10:30 ET the EIA releases its inventory numbers. The next few Weds leading into thanksgiving will be seasonal builds. After a few hours of frantic selling on that Wed you will be able to snap up energy stocks at a down dip. Then on Friday at 3pm EST the Baker Hughes Rig count numbers are released. They will show a decline in drilling rig utilization. Oil will spike from the news and you will be able to sell the stocks you bought on Weds dip 5-10% higher on this peak.

Do do some research look at the carts of some volatile Jr - Midsize oil companies and fill your pockets. You can take your short earnings and buy some long positions. 

Edited by LaBamba
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...