The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

3 hours ago, Hobble said:

I am a graduate student, that has a peaking interesting in financial investments.

I currently have some money in an account with a financial advisor, which I plan to develop, but I am considering to play around with a couple grand on my own for mid-long term investments.

Does anyone recommend a good online trader resource? Or do those all require a large initial deposit?

It depends on many factors. What do you plan to invest in? Just stocks? Canadian or US? Anything else such as Futures, commodities, options etc?

This link is from 2015 but it should send you in the right direction. Account minimums are listed.  http://www.moneysense.ca/canadian-discount-brokerages-at-a-glance/

IMO the best all around broker is Interactive Brokers.

• Upvote 1

On 15/02/2017 at 10:06 PM, nuckin_futz said:

It depends on many factors. What do you plan to invest in? Just stocks? Canadian or US? Anything else such as Futures, commodities, options etc?

This link is from 2015 but it should send you in the right direction. Account minimums are listed.  http://www.moneysense.ca/canadian-discount-brokerages-at-a-glance/

IMO the best all around broker is Interactive Brokers.

I'm just introducing myself in the subject, so I'm still learning. Meeting with a financial advisor next week to go over all my options.

I believe that I am young enough that taking a little risk is worthwhile, but I am looking into more long-term investments. Not looking to actively trade too much with high frequency.

But I've signed up for a free trial on questtrade, and I get to play around a bit with virtually money to learn the trade. Its quite fun when there is zero risk!

2 hours ago, Hobble said:

I'm just introducing myself in the subject, so I'm still learning. Meeting with a financial advisor next week to go over all my options.

I believe that I am young enough that taking a little risk is worthwhile, but I am looking into more long-term investments. Not looking to actively trade too much with high frequency.

But I've signed up for a free trial on questtrade, and I get to play around a bit with virtually money to learn the trade. Its quite fun when there is zero risk!

Just keep in mind that financial advisors need to make a living too.  Not saying they're out to scam you and to steal your money, but they just might not putting their fiduciary duty on top of their list.  

Maybe they insist you sign up to some in-house mutual funds, maybe shares in their own company/bank, or some life insurance policy, etc.  Chances are they are not bad ideas... but perhaps not really the best ideas.  

A few little tidbits that may be helpful for your investment journey:

Rule of 72.... 72 divide by whatever is the expected rate of return and that will be how many years it take for it to double.  72/10% interest = 7 years for it to double in value.

100 minus age:  stocks/fixed income ratio....  if you're age 30, then you have should have a 70/30 ration where 70% of your portfolio should be with equities/stocks... and the 30 percent to be with fixed income (preferred shares, trusts, bonds, GIC, etc).  

4 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Just keep in mind that financial advisors need to make a living too.  Not saying they're out to scam you and to steal your money, but they just might not putting their fiduciary duty on top of their list.  

Maybe they insist you sign up to some in-house mutual funds, maybe shares in their own company/bank, or some life insurance policy, etc.  Chances are they are not bad ideas... but perhaps not really the best ideas.  

A few little tidbits that may be helpful for your investment journey:

Rule of 72.... 72 divide by whatever is the expected rate of return and that will be how many years it take for it to double.  72/10% interest = 7 years for it to double in value.

100 minus age:  stocks/fixed income ratio....  if you're age 30, then you have should have a 70/30 ration where 70% of your portfolio should be with equities/stocks... and the 30 percent to be with fixed income (preferred shares, trusts, bonds, GIC, etc).  

Thank you, I will take that to heart!

I still have to learn all the terms and conditions of how stocks can be evaluated and identifying "good buys".

But I do have a reasonable degree of trust in this advisor, as he has assisted my parents for decades. And if it weren't for his investment help, things would have been a lot rougher over the last decade or so due to health complications and early retirements.

Eventually, as my knowledge and appreciation for evaluation increases, I hope to play around a bit on my own with equities.

But if anyone has a good stock tip, I'm all ears ;). For long-term investing ideas after some quick brainstorming, I've been looking into marijuana industry, renewable energies and some technology (ex. companies involved with fabricating driverless cars or related parts).

45 minutes ago, Hobble said:

Thank you, I will take that to heart!

I still have to learn all the terms and conditions of how stocks can be evaluated and identifying "good buys".

But I do have a reasonable degree of trust in this advisor, as he has assisted my parents for decades. And if it weren't for his investment help, things would have been a lot rougher over the last decade or so due to health complications and early retirements.

Eventually, as my knowledge and appreciation for evaluation increases, I hope to play around a bit on my own with equities.

But if anyone has a good stock tip, I'm all ears ;). For long-term investing ideas after some quick brainstorming, I've been looking into marijuana industry, renewable energies and some technology (ex. companies involved with fabricating driverless cars or related parts).

It's good that you have a IA that's been around.  Lots of "financial advisors" at the banks are just glorified sales staff that offers almost no insight and knows very little.  Some are like, "ETF?  Oh, I've heard of them...."  :picard:

Usually they have high turnover, so yeah.  If possible, get someone who is like a CPF, PFP, and rarely CFA.  

I believe someone (maybe Warren Buffett) says that people should invest in what they believe in and what they use/buy.  If you love drinking Coca-Cola... maybe buy some coke stocks.  You, your spouse, your kids and your relatives all drive Toyota cars.... investment in Toyota might not be a bad idea.  Income Trusts like A&W, Rogers Sugar, the Keg.... you don't really need to try to find something very fancy or complex like some next generation graphene battery or some brand new cancer treatment that's in the developmental stage...... each sounds great, but not the best choice for investment for those starting out.  

If you want to actively invest in equities with the whole buying/trading rather than long-term, when do you start getting the feeling to cash in on a stock?

Are their indicators or predictors that suggest a stock may be reaching its maximum profit relative to your investment?

Or do you just think, "Hey, this investment has made me $50 already. Time to cash in and move my money elsewhere!"

6 hours ago, Hobble said:

If you want to actively invest in equities with the whole buying/trading rather than long-term, when do you start getting the feeling to cash in on a stock?

Are their indicators or predictors that suggest a stock may be reaching its maximum profit relative to your investment?

Or do you just think, "Hey, this investment has made me $50 already. Time to cash in and move my money elsewhere!"

Learn how to read candlestick charts. Keep it simple, horizontal lines of support and resistance, volume, trend lines, maybe a simple moving average.

Find some videos on Youtube where BASIC technical analysis is covered. Keep it basic, no garbage like MACD, RSI, Bollinger bands etc.

3 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Learn how to read candlestick charts. Keep it simple, horizontal lines of support and resistance, volume, trend lines, maybe a simple moving average.

Find some videos on Youtube where BASIC technical analysis is covered. Keep it basic, no garbage like MACD, RSI, Bollinger bands etc.

So essentially, look for Doji, hammers and hanging men to suggest changes in the preceding trend, and then buy/sell accordingly?

13 hours ago, Hobble said:

There's many different strategies and philosophies in terms of investing.  First, trading and investing are completely different, since the former is based on capitalization of short-term trends..... the latter more for longer-term strategy.  Try to separate your funds accordingly.  

Trading would be..... you have a feeling that OPEC will be limiting oil supply, thus you're gonna quickly jump in by purchasing oil company stocks, oil ETFs, etc.  

Investing would be..... you think that graphene batteries will be the next big thing within the next 5-15 years, thus you buy stocks in those companies to hold.  Or you still think the Bank 5 banks in Canada are safe bets generating consistent rate of returns and you want to hold them until retirement (some rebalancing along the way).  

Technical analysis may be useful for finding entry and exit points for certain stocks.  For shorter-term.... not an exact science. 

There are also seasonality charts to follow.... eg. gold rises from October until May.

Strategic allocations where you search for growth industries or steady businesses, etc.

There are also completely random stuff you can research that can give insights to the market.  I mean, depending on whether the NFC or AFC wins the Super Bowl, one gives a higher chance for the market to go on a bull run.  Or how if you follow fashion, the shorter the women wear their pants and skirts, etc.... it usually means the economy will be entering a boom cycle.  The more conservative the fashion, it will mean it's a recession or one is coming.  Sounds very weird... but there's some stats to prove some of it.  

23 hours ago, Hobble said:

If you are day trading you should go into every trade with a plan. Buy number and sell number with stop loss/limits on each order. Discipline and mental fortitude is 90% of the battle with trading. Charts with technical analysis (support or resistance key indicators) play a big role in that. 

Edited by RRypien37

Research research and more research.  You should know a company inside and out before you invest in it. Build balance sheet/cash flows models in excel. Get to know how that company makes money and where it goes. Learn it's debt and equities. Try and forecast and use NPV to figure a future stock value 

On 2/20/2017 at 7:50 AM, Hobble said:

So essentially, look for Doji, hammers and hanging men to suggest changes in the preceding trend, and then buy/sell accordingly?

Trying to pick reversals will shred your account. There's plenty of money to be made and way less headache in joining established trends.

Don't try to re-invent the wheel. Do what everyone else is doing.

21 hours ago, RRypien37 said:

If you are day trading you should go into every trade with a plan. Buy number and sell number with stop loss/limits on each order. Discipline and mental fortitude is 90% of the battle with trading. Charts with technical analysis (support or resistance key indicators) play a big role in that. 

In reading that last few pages I see a lot of predictions and expectations. You're the only one who's said anything of risk management. Which is the most important thing to consider.

To the beginners, your #1 objective in investing/trading is not to make money. It's to protect your capital. Never forget that.

Plan the trade, trade the plan. Doing this will save you a ton of headaches and cash.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

In reading that last few pages I see a lot of predictions and expectations. You're the only one who's said anything of risk management. Which is the most important thing to consider.

To the beginners, your #1 objective in investing/trading is not to make money. It's to protect your capital. Never forget that.

Plan the trade, trade the plan. Doing this will save you a ton of headaches and cash.

Yup 100% agreed. If you go in with no plan, emotions take over making the decisions and that turns into a disaster. I had to learn that the hard way in the early times of my trading. 

• Upvote 1