The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Investing in the stock market - Discussion

AV's Coin

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty much got killed in recent weeks.  Investments probably dropped a good 20%..... a couple of directional bear ETF helped out a bit.... but man, it's brutal out there.

Fortunately, 25% of my portfolio was in cash... so still a good opportunity to drop back in once the market bottoms out. 

My predictions with the markets... it will be very unpredictable, lol.

What happens to oil prices once Iranian supplies start reaching the markets?  Or when storage facilities are maxed?  How long will the Saudi keep manipulating the markets?

Is this the end of China's rise?  I mean.... we've seen the same thing happened to Japan during the 90's and into the 2000's after the bubble burst.  Their population demographics are eerie similar... so no next "boomer" generation will force the GDP to grow.  The difference between Japan and China... Japan is a 1st world, democratic and open economy with a high standard of living.  China is still developing, authoritarian and the ruling party will do whatever it takes to maintain control..... not gonna be pretty.

How will the "Brexit" referendum impact the European Union?  The rise of nationalism, the influx of refugees.... perhaps the European Project will start failing.

For Canada... where are all those people complaining about high oil prices and how it's creating the Dutch Disease? 

Anyways.... good luck everyone.... because we'll all need it. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Lancaster said:

What happens to oil prices once Iranian supplies start reaching the markets?  Or when storage facilities are maxed?  How long will the Saudi keep manipulating the markets?

Apparently the Saudis have been highly unimpressed by the resilience of US shale suppliers. OPEC is infighting as their their strategy is particularly hurting poorer members like Angola and Nigeria and an emergency meeting is going to happen sometime in February. 

Still in OPEC it takes a unanimous vote to change strategy and they are a house deeply divided.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Pretty much got killed in recent weeks.  Investments probably dropped a good 20%..... a couple of directional bear ETF helped out a bit.... but man, it's brutal out there.

Fortunately, 25% of my portfolio was in cash... so still a good opportunity to drop back in once the market bottoms out. 

My predictions with the markets... it will be very unpredictable, lol.

Is this the end of China's rise?  I mean.... we've seen the same thing happened to Japan during the 90's and into the 2000's after the bubble burst.  Their population demographics are eerie similar... so no next "boomer" generation will force the GDP to grow.  The difference between Japan and China... Japan is a 1st world, democratic and open economy with a high standard of living.  China is still developing, authoritarian and the ruling party will do whatever it takes to maintain control..... not gonna be pretty.

How will the "Brexit" referendum impact the European Union?  The rise of nationalism, the influx of refugees.... perhaps the European Project will start failing.

For Canada... where are all those people complaining about high oil prices and how it's creating the Dutch Disease? 

Anyways.... good luck everyone.... because we'll all need it. 

Are you into options?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 10/11/2015 at 3:22 AM, CanuckGAME said:

So. Has anyone become rich from this thread yet?

For real though. I'll be the guinea pig. I'll throw 1000 bucks into some stocks just for fun and I'll do a play by play of how it ends up. Only 1000 bucks though because I don't trust you guys LOL.

I'm serious. Let's see what CDC can turn my $1000 into. If I lose it oh well, if you turn it into some real money cool! I'll donate 10% of all profits to canucks place.

Come on CDC make me a millionaire.

And the time of that post a single bitcoin was trading for $322 CAD, and 1000 loonies that day would have netted 3.105590062 BTC.

As of this posting...

btcprice.png

Edited by CanadianLoonie

I have 2 tips. 

1. Never take trade tips from anyone. Come to your own decisions. Would you give your ideas to strangers for free?

2. Learn about high frequency trading and algos. When stocks move against fundamentals it's usually due to HFTs. Even as a small retail investor, if you ignore this factor you may end up on the wrong side even if all signs say you're on the right side.

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/wall-street-code/

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/quants-alchemists-wall-street/

Edited by Canada Hockey Place
  • Upvote 2

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, Vanisleryan said:

Anyone else getting into Canada's pot stocks? Some major catalysts coming up. The sector is really starting to take off. Ive been seeing great returns lately. 

I bought into organi-gram (ogi) back at .62/share. Also have been kind of looking at canopy growth...

11 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

I bought into organi-gram (ogi) back at .62/share. Also have been kind of looking at canopy growth...

Nice .62 is just about a 3 bagger now. Keep an eye for a good spot to buy CGC if thats the plan....On August 24th is the deadline for the government to make changes to the MMPR as ordered by the judge back in February for the Allard case. Major changes are expected regarding the distribution of medical marijuana. Wide speculation is possibly pharmacies. Also they will most likely set limits and regulations for any patients wanting to home grow small amounts. Canopy just did a bought deal today at 3.65 so I doubt it goes lower than that. GL