The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

TRADE TIME?

Lots out there available. Maybe some GM or Coach had one of our younger players play for them in junior at sometime. Just like WD & Vey or T.Green & Sven. etc. 

Maybe it's Hunter or Gaunce or Jensen? Maybe JB can find someone like that who would be willing to part with a D of some sort.

I think Byfuglien would be a great addition to our team. 

Keep Vrbata for a deadline trade.

But trade Hamhuis and Higgins now before they hurt the Canucks more. The team has moved on from those two. We saw it at the start of the season. Now because they are veterans they need to be played but frankly, I would rather have Baertschi and Kracknell in the lineup than Higgins. The Canucks probably need another defenseman although the return of Sbisa should actually calm things down as everyone goes back into their first positions.

Do not trade Prust. Look at the lack of presence this team has. He gives just that one extra edge what makes the opposition soil their jocks. He helps to keep it honest. That head shot on McCann, if Prust is there... That's if that hit is made in the first place.

Higgins brings nothing the Canucks already have. Do not be fooled by the two goals in three games. He'll end up on the second line and dry up like a rose in the desert sun. Not  a bad player, but not what the Canucks need. Everything Higgins does defensively can be covered by anyone on the team.

Hamhuis lost something when he tried to cartwheel one of the biggest player in the league and broke his ribs in the process to a Cup loss. Since then, it's been extremely few errors, but those errors glare into the light at the wrongest time. But because he's Hamhuis, everyone forgets because he's Hamhuis. Not that the Canucks would have fared much better against San Jose, but he's the one that blew a tire for the last goal of the series. Tonight was a weak penalty call, but if Hamhuis, who knows the rules inside and out, even tries a little to get out of the way, there is no penalty on the play and the game ends maybe differently.

Not impressed.

When Prust and Sbisa are back, the Canucks would be better served trading Hamhuis and Higgins out.

Keep Vrbata for a deadline trade.

But trade Hamhuis and Higgins now before they hurt the Canucks more. The team has moved on from those two. We saw it at the start of the season. Now because they are veterans they need to be played but frankly, I would rather have Baertschi and Kracknell in the lineup than Higgins. The Canucks probably need another defenseman although the return of Sbisa should actually calm things down as everyone goes back into their first positions.

Do not trade Prust. Look at the lack of presence this team has. He gives just that one extra edge what makes the opposition soil their jocks. He helps to keep it honest. That head shot on McCann, if Prust is there... That's if that hit is made in the first place.

Higgins brings nothing the Canucks already have. Do not be fooled by the two goals in three games. He'll end up on the second line and dry up like a rose in the desert sun. Not  a bad player, but not what the Canucks need. Everything Higgins does defensively can be covered by anyone on the team.

Hamhuis lost something when he tried to cartwheel one of the biggest player in the league and broke his ribs in the process to a Cup loss. Since then, it's been extremely few errors, but those errors glare into the light at the wrongest time. But because he's Hamhuis, everyone forgets because he's Hamhuis. Not that the Canucks would have fared much better against San Jose, but he's the one that blew a tire for the last goal of the series. Tonight was a weak penalty call, but if Hamhuis, who knows the rules inside and out, even tries a little to get out of the way, there is no penalty on the play and the game ends maybe differently.

Not impressed.

When Prust and Sbisa are back, the Canucks would be better served trading Hamhuis and Higgins out.

what can we get for them, or does it matter the return - addition by subtraction?

what can we get for them, or does it matter the return - addition by subtraction?

Addition by subtraction.

I believe that Hutton is more than capable of replacing Hamhuis on the depth chart. The kid is a superstar T1D in the making. He has played 14 games in the NHL and has looked like a superstar every game save for a handful of shifts. He's on pace for 35pts. He's the real deal. The Canucks are a faster team without Hamhuis. I would even send him to Edmonton if he wanted to stay near his B.C. home. He hampers the Canucks but he could really help Edmonton. Just a thought of course, only to illustrate my point about Hamhuis. He's a great defenseman. However, the Canucks have moved on.

Higgins is just going to dry up and fade out by playoff time. Why do I say that? Because Higgins fades out by playoff time.

Nothing against either. It's just that time.

Addition by subtraction.

I believe that Hutton is more than capable of replacing Hamhuis on the depth chart. The kid is a superstar T1D in the making. He has played 14 games in the NHL and has looked like a superstar every game save for a handful of shifts. He's on pace for 35pts. He's the real deal. The Canucks are a faster team without Hamhuis. I would even send him to Edmonton if he wanted to stay near his B.C. home. He hampers the Canucks but he could really help Edmonton. Just a thought of course, only to illustrate my point about Hamhuis. He's a great defenseman. However, the Canucks have moved on.

Higgins is just going to dry up and fade out by playoff time. Why do I say that? Because Higgins fades out by playoff time.

Nothing against either. It's just that time.

are you saying just get what we can then, and just move on with the younger guys?

Canucks, I believe are two trades away from legitimacy in Cup contention.

I have stated that somehow, Vrbata is one forward who should be traded. Shown to be defensively unreliable and his line isn't doing much - Sedins probably need a new linemate.

Canucks need to get a first-rate defenseman to solve their woes. Somehow, their biggest weakness is being able to retain leads and guard games late - although they are good at coming back late in the game. I proposed Edler + Vrbata to Winnipeg for Myers, any other ideas?

I have stated that somehow, Vrbata is one forward who should be traded. Shown to be defensively unreliable and his line isn't doing much - Sedins probably need a new linemate.

Canucks need to get a first-rate defenseman to solve their woes. Somehow, their biggest weakness is being able to retain leads and guard games late - although they are good at coming back late in the game. I proposed Edler + Vrbata to Winnipeg for Myers, any other ideas?

yes that would be great!  How about the same two to Nashville for Seth Jones?  Could we add in a young guy too, Shink?

yes that would be great!  How about the same two to Nashville for Seth Jones?  Could we add in a young guy too, Shink?

If Winnipeg wants to trade Myers, it will take something else than Edler. Every time he appears to have been asked if he wants to move, the quick, subsequent news was that Edler doesn't want to move. Hamhuis could be going the other way as part of a package. Hopefully with Higgins.

And in terms of business, probably a mid to high ranked prospect. A sacrifice piece to up the package for Myers that makes a Myers acquisition a winner for Benning. Clendening, Forsling type player. Kenins comes to mind and so do Jensen who are getting stuck behind others that have now and by far surpassed them; a small price to pay.

VAN
Myers
Pick (?) 2016

WPG
Hamhuis
Higgins
Forsling/ Jensen

Vrbata does have to go but he can keep away from the injury bug until trade deadline. Hamhuis can't. That makes me nervous. Although, as Alflives says above:

VAN
Jones
Pick (?) 2016

NSH
Hamhuis
Vrbata
Shinkaruk

Sounds interesting... would one give up Hutton for a similar package? Jones is 21 years old.

are you saying just get what we can then, and just move on with the younger guys?

I don't think it's a "get what we can" type of situation but I would say once Sbisa is good to go, the light is green on a Hamhuis trade. And Higgins.

Taking out Prust and Sbisa makes the Canucks very soft. No one is hitting anymore. That might have to be addressed because that cannot happen.

If Winnipeg wants to trade Myers, it will take something else than Edler. Every time he appears to have been asked if he wants to move, the quick, subsequent news was that Edler doesn't want to move. Hamhuis could be going the other way as part of a package. Hopefully with Higgins.

And in terms of business, probably a mid to high ranked prospect. A sacrifice piece to up the package for Myers that makes a Myers acquisition a winner for Benning. Clendening, Forsling type player. Kenins comes to mind and so do Jensen who are getting stuck behind others that have now and by far surpassed them; a small price to pay.

VAN
Myers
Pick (?) 2016

WPG
Hamhuis
Higgins
Forsling/ Jensen

Vrbata does have to go but he can keep away from the injury bug until trade deadline. Hamhuis can't. That makes me nervous. Although, as Alflives says above:

VAN
Jones
Pick (?) 2016

NSH
Hamhuis
Vrbata
Shinkaruk

Sounds interesting... would one give up Hutton for a similar package? Jones is 21 years old.

I don't think we should trade Hutton.  I think he is a great dman.  I like your two proposals though.

VAN
Myers
Pick (?) 2016

WPG
Hamhuis
Higgins
Forsling/ Jensen

VAN
Jones
Pick (?) 2016

NSH
Hamhuis
Vrbata
Shinkaruk

When did the Canucks re-acquire Gustav Forsling? 

If I'm JB, the d-men I would target - Ryan Ellis, Kevin Shattenkirk, Dustin Byfuglien and Jason Demers.  I'd use Vrbata, Hamhuis, Higgins, Hansen, Burrows, Sbisa, Bartkowski, Weber, Subban, Jensen, one of Baertschi or Shinkaruk as pieces in some combination to acquire anyone of the above mentioned d-men.   Not sure if we have the pieces anyone would want.

We'll probably see more of trades like the ones that got the Canucks Pedan and Clendening than anything of a higher magnitude.

VAN
Myers
Pick (?) 2016

WPG
Hamhuis
Higgins
Forsling/ Jensen

VAN
Jones
Pick (?) 2016

NSH
Hamhuis
Vrbata
Shinkaruk

If I were Winnipeg, I would actually be intrigued by Edler and Vrbata - no, actually I'd probably offer Byfuglien instead of Myers (who also could be a fit here, if he weren't a pending UFA). Edler, I feel, just might rebound in Winnipeg playing for Maurice and alongside a well-stocked blueline. Even if he fails, there is still Morressey coming up the ranks.

Far as Nashville goes, I would sooner try and trade Eder and Vrbata for Weber - I'm being a hypocrite here suggesting Nashville would rather part with their long-time blueliner over the up and coming star. But really, there are no Jones among our young defenders - with the exception of Tanev, I doubt any young defender will be as valuable as Hamhuis is, even if he is a shadow of his former self, because he is a valuable team leader. Jones will be a superstar for Nashville in Weber's shoes.

If I were Winnipeg, I would actually be intrigued by Edler and Vrbata - no, actually I'd probably offer Byfuglien instead of Myers (who also could be a fit here, if he weren't a pending UFA). Edler, I feel, just might rebound in Winnipeg playing for Maurice and alongside a well-stocked blueline. Even if he fails, there is still Morressey coming up the ranks.

Far as Nashville goes, I would sooner try and trade Eder and Vrbata for Weber - I'm being a hypocrite here suggesting Nashville would rather part with their long-time blueliner over the up and coming star. But really, there are no Jones among our young defenders - with the exception of Tanev, I doubt any young defender will be as valuable as Hamhuis is, even if he is a shadow of his former self, because he is a valuable team leader. Jones will be a superstar for Nashville in Weber's shoes.

Twenty nine teams would be interested in an Edler-Vrbata combination. The question is, however, does Edler have an interest in moving. With his NTC, Edler has final say on any deal involving Edler. So far, Edler is rumored to have refused movement under two regimes; Gillis and Benning. Nothing suggests Edler would consider a move to Winnipeg or any other place.

A Hamhuis-Vrbata combination could perhaps also be of interest.

When did the Canucks re-acquire Gustav Forsling? 

If I'm JB, the d-men I would target - Ryan Ellis, Kevin Shattenkirk, Dustin Byfuglien and Jason Demers.  I'd use Vrbata, Hamhuis, Higgins, Hansen, Burrows, Sbisa, Bartkowski, Weber, Subban, Jensen, one of Baertschi or Shinkaruk as pieces in some combination to acquire anyone of the above mentioned d-men.   Not sure if we have the pieces anyone would want.

We'll probably see more of trades like the ones that got the Canucks Pedan and Clendening than anything of a higher magnitude.

maybe we need to throw in a Gaunce?

VAN
Myers
Pick (?) 2016

WPG
Hamhuis
Higgins
Forsling/ Jensen

VAN
Jones
Pick (?) 2016

NSH
Hamhuis
Vrbata
Shinkaruk

You are not going to get Myers for Hamhuis and Higgins, Winnipeg's management loves Myers it would start at Horvat or Virtanen+. As for Hutton you keep and develop him he has all the tools to become a great 1st line d-man to take over from Edler, maybe the best we have had in years.

Archived