The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

World record shootout in women’s hockey game with 54 shots

poetica

World record shootout in women’s hockey game with 54 shots

Germany’s women’s ice hockey league had taken a six-week break before returning to the ice last weekend. The Memmingen Indians and EC Bergkamen needed all of that rest in their first game back on Jan. 23, playing a world-record shootout that lasted 54 shots and 30 minutes.

(Where was the Marek Malik of German women’s hockey?!)

Memmingen’s Julia Seitz ended the drama on the 27th shot for her team, a half hour after the shootout began. "It was after the game a nice feeling to be record holders. This is also good for women's hockey,” she said after the game, a 4-3 win for the Indians.

According to the IIHF, the previous shootout record – which also happened to be in a German hockey game, in its men’s league – was set in Nov. 2010 when the Straubing Tigers defeated EHC Munchen 5-4 after 42 shots.

Memmingen had to rally with two goals in the last five minutes of regulation to force the overtime, including a goal by Canadian-born Kaitlyn Keon with 50 seconds left.

It went to the shootout, and then they shot … and they shot … and they shot … and they, well, you know, shot. Until Seitz ended it.

“We started to become impatient on the players’ bench because we desperately wanted to win the game. Once I was on the ice I thought I have to make it so that the game would have an end. I blanked out my original plan on how to shoot and decided spontaneously,” Seitz told Eishockey News, via the IIHF.

Epic!!

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Come on Greg - you could've at least named the goaltenders.

Excellent point!

I found an IIHF article that included the goalies' names:

As thrilling as the third period ended, as thrilling was the shootout to decide the game. The goaltenders Franziska Albl for Memmingen and Jule Flotgen for Bergkamen were in great shape and forced 27 rounds of penalty shots. Before the last round only three shooters on each side had netted the puck but each time the Indians got the lead, Bergkamen tied it in the same round.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Thanks.  Three times that both teams scored in the same shootout round as well.    Hopefully there's video of that somewhere.  Those goalies must have been spent after that marathon.

I know, right?!

If you do find a video please share it. I'll do likewise.

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

Come on Greg - you could've at least named the goaltenders.

I guess that'd depend on if they were stopping most of the attempts. If both teams kept scoring then it wouldn't break the deadlock either.

Sounds like they did though.

Archived