The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Penguins re-sign F Matt Cullen [1 year x $1M]

Never a question that the Pens would want him back. The only decision was if he'd be willing to sign for what they could afford.

I guess not moving and having another very real shot at the cup were worth a good chunk of change. 

52 minutes ago, drummerboy said:

Maybe 5 years ago with young Henrik and Kesler.   

Now, nope.  

Despite a very poor season by this team, Hank was still top 10 in assists among centers. Lack of a supporting cast has been the biggest problem.

If Henrik and Eriksson can click, Bo can take his game to the next level as a 2nd line center, and Sutter settles into a third line shutdown guy, they'll have a very solid cast of centers. the wing is where I think we have alot more question marks.

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Despite a very poor season by this team, Hank was still top 10 in assists among centers. Lack of a supporting cast has been the biggest problem.

If Henrik and Eriksson can click, Bo can take his game to the next level as a 2nd line center, and Sutter settles into a third line shutdown guy, they'll have a very solid cast of centers. the wing is where I think we have alot more question marks.

"Solid" is one thing.

Comparing them with teams that have guys like Malkin, Pavelski, Kesler and Reinhart as 2nd line centers is another.

16 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

It was in reference to a claim of Canucks being among the best in the league for centre group.  

Without a bunch of big 'if's and 'maybe's,

the canucks aren't close to top 10 let alone top of the league.  

That is no slam on Hank, Bo, or Suter. 

Kopitar, Carter

Getz, Kesler, vermette 

Crosby, Malkin. 

Tampa

Chicago

Dallas

NY

i don't need to keep going. 

3 minutes ago, D-Money said:

"Solid" is one thing.

Comparing them with teams that have guys like Malkin, Pavelski, Kesler and Reinhart as 2nd line centers is another.

Kesler is getting near the end of his prime if he's not already there.

He had 53 points last season. I don't think it's that much of a stretch to think Bo couldn't close that gap after a 40 point campaign. I said "if" he can take his game to another level, which is quite possible.

Hank only had 8 less points than Getzlaf despite having one of our worst offesnive seasons in a decade. Then compare Sutter to Vermette or whoever they have in that position and it's not like we can't compete with them.

1 minute ago, drummerboy said:

It was in reference to a claim of Canucks being among the best in the league for centre group.  

Without a bunch of big 'if's and 'maybe's,

the canucks aren't close to top 10 let alone top of the league.  

That is no slam on Hank, Bo, or Suter. 

Kopitar, Carter

Getz, Kesler, vermette 

Crosby, Malkin. 

Tampa

Chicago

Dallas

NY

i don't need to keep going. 

I'm not saying they're better than those teams, but they're hardly near the bottom.

I would put them just outside the top 10.

40 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Kesler is getting near the end of his prime if he's not already there.

He had 53 points last season. I don't think it's that much of a stretch to think Bo couldn't close that gap after a 40 point campaign. I said "if" he can take his game to another level, which is quite possible.

Hank only had 8 less points than Getzlaf despite having one of our worst offesnive seasons in a decade. Then compare Sutter to Vermette or whoever they have in that position and it's not like we can't compete with them.

Ducks had a horrible first half offensively. Expect Kesler to be well above 60 next season.

And it's not just points. Kesler is able to shut down other top scoring lines while contributing his offense. Horvat's +/- suggests the opposition is feasting on him.

22 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Ducks had a horrible first half offensively. Expect Kesler to be well above 60 next season.

And it's not just points. Kesler is able to shut down other top scoring lines while contributing his offense. Horvat's +/- suggests the opposition is feasting on him.

Well the Canucks didn't exactly have a great season offensively either.

Horvat is also 20 and was consistently playing with rookies. Not a very fair indicator of his ability.

39 minutes ago, D-Money said:

Just about to write this.  

+1

Just now, drummerboy said:

You aren't suggesting that Bo is at Keslers level are you?

I'm suggesting Kesler isn't even at Kesler's level anymore.

Saying he's going to have well over 60 when he hasn't had that since 10-11 is a bit of a stretch IMO.

Not saying he's at his level, but their careers are heading in different directions.

Just now, DeNiro said:

I'm suggesting Kesler isn't even at Kesler's level anymore.

Saying he's going to have well over 60 when he hasn't had that since 10-11 is a bit of a stretch IMO.

Not saying he's at his level, but their careers are heading in different directions.

Obviously they are going in different directions. One is 20.   Another is a extremely battled tested veteran.  

I dont think he will hit 60 this year.  

50s sure.  But Kesler is one of the best defensive forwards in the game.  And I bet for years to come he gets better in that aspect to make up for his falling offence. 

Im a huge Bo fan. Love the kid. He is awesome.  

BUT 

If im in the cup finals today, I'm picking Kesler. 

Just now, drummerboy said:

Obviously they are going in different directions. One is 20.   Another is a extremely battled tested veteran.  

I dont think he will hit 60 this year.  

50s sure.  But Kesler is one of the best defensive forwards in the game.  And I bet for years to come he gets better in that aspect to make up for his falling offence. 

Im a huge Bo fan. Love the kid. He is awesome.  

BUT 

If im in the cup finals today, I'm picking Kesler. 

Oh of course you choose Kesler now, I wasn't trying to make that argument.

My point is Bo is improving season by season, and that gap will likely get smaller next season.

Archived