The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The North Dakota Standing Rock Movement

PhillipBlunt

23 minutes ago, chon derry said:

14225633_4264038952415_6365315881225130324_n.jpg

Sadly this much shared image is from Woodstock taken by CKNW choppers on the 2nd day of the festival.

The only thing more sad than the misinformation is the childish responses of people who reply to them.  See below

15 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

Wow!!!  They are dancing in the streets of Riyadh!  lol  The lack of coverage is amazing.  Americans media has got its priorities.  This is American oil we are talking about.....not the easy target like keystone.  It will be interesting. 

19 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Sadly this much shared image is from Woodstock taken by CKNW choppers on the 2nd day of the festival.

The only thing more sad than the misinformation is the childish responses of people who reply to them.  See below

your right my, bad this ones apparently real.   why would they put the other one up on the same site?

14368693_299722563717786_1227847768732964580_n.jpg

7 hours ago, Warhippy said:

There most certainly would be dancing in Riyadh if the American frackers were facing that kind of opposition.  Don't ya think ?  If the protesters are concerned about the land they should be campaigning to stop the flow of oil from the numerous pipelines that already crisscross the river.

7 hours ago, chon derry said:

your right my, bad this ones apparently real.   why would they put the other one up on the same site?

14368693_299722563717786_1227847768732964580_n.jpg

Honestly, because people are bored.  The internet is a terrible place.  And people like Clam are sad and lonely individuals with nothing better to do than try to troll people via emotional jabs due to poor parenting while they were younger.

It doesn't detract from the fact that over 3 camps there are thousands of people protesting this issue though

14 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

There most certainly would be dancing in Riyadh if the American frackers were facing that kind of opposition.  Don't ya think ?  If the protesters are concerned about the land they should be campaigning to stop the flow of oil from the numerous pipelines that already crisscross the river.

In 3 short bumbling sentences you show how little you actually know about this issue

Go away, go get a hug from someone.  you need one

9 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

In 3 short bumbling sentences you show how little you actually know about this issue

Go away, go get a hug from someone.  you need one

The pipeline transports fracked oil, not having it will increase costs making this oil less competitive with foreign oil.  This river has many pipelines crossing it.  If you know otherwise....let us know.

So I checked into your theory, clam linguine. And it's not feasible. Your "statement" that over 180 different Aboriginal nations have united to protest this pipeline is somehow coordinated or funded by Saudi Arabia is both laughable and erroneous. 

Not everything has a seedy underbelly. 

30 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

The pipeline transports fracked oil, not having it will increase costs making this oil less competitive with foreign oil.  This river has many pipelines crossing it.  If you know otherwise....let us know.

If you would be so kind as to provide a map with crossings on it along with flow direction and the loction of this First Nation on it, I would be greatful to you. I also feel it may help to illustrate the validity (or lack there of) water concerns.

7 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

So I checked into your theory, clam linguine. And it's not feasible. Your "statement" that over 180 different Aboriginal nations have united to protest this pipeline is somehow coordinated or funded by Saudi Arabia is both laughable and erroneous. 

Not everything has a seedy underbelly. 

I don't think the Saudis are funding the protest.  These protests have taken on a life of their own (the unanticipated dividends I mentioned).  I think foreign money has historically fueled the protests against Canadian and now American oil, and still has influence at the root of groups like the Sierra club.

3 minutes ago, otherwise said:

If you would be so kind as to provide a map with crossings on it along with flow direction and the loction of this First Nation on it, I would be greatful to you. I also feel it may help to illustrate the validity (or lack there of) water concerns.

Sorry....things to do at the moment, maybe later.  If someone else wants to...go for it.

10 hours ago, clam linguine said:

Well thanks for the invitation...I believe I will go on...a bit.  The first paragraph is plainly boring and true so I will not elaborate.

Pipeline protests are the brilliant tactic of foreign oil regimes 

As I recollect...

Twenty years ago or so ago the Sierra Club decided they were more interested in the Canadian oil sands than in mountain environs.  Back then we needed oil (prefracking) to break free from OPEC clutches...so it was inexplicable.  It turned out the Club was getting substantial new funds for this fight  from a mysterious source in ......the United Kingdom?!  So I spent many years wondering why the Brits would double cross us. 

So years later I noticed the Saudi  influences in the UK  (soccer especially) and it occurred to me that maybe it was the Saudis funneling money through the UK ...duh...that would make sense.  About five years ago I read something that actually attributed the contributions to...the Russians, lol.  Smart guys.

Anyhoo...the Sierra Club has added pipelines and fracking to its hit list, it continues to get mysterious financing, and it does nothing to inhibit the production or importation of foreign oil. The Club has been fighting hard to preserve the Saudi market in Canada.  From the Financial post:

It’s come to this because of pressure of groups such as the Sierra Club, which in a recent statement took credit for rallying Quebec mayors against Energy East. “When the Montreal Urban Community … announced its opposition to TransCanada Corporation’s controversial Energy East pipeline yesterday, nearly two dozen hard-working volunteers with Sierra Club Canada’s Quebec Chapter took a victory lap,” the group said. 

This doesn't prove your silly conspiracy theory. Of course the Sierra Club is going to oppose pipelines. They're an environmental organization.

They likely protest clear cut logging as well, but it doesn't mean that their funding comes form US softwood producers. It comes from people who want to preserve nature.

As far as the Dakota protest goes, the story somewhat glossed over the real pertinent question, in my mind. Is the land being used for the pipeline actually owned by the Dakota tribes, or is it land under claim. In either event, there should always be consultation in such circumstances, but if the land is actually Dakota property, I'd like to know how the government can just use it against their wishes.

Is this some sort of annexation? I'd imagine the legal battles in such a case could drag on for a long time.

32 minutes ago, clam linguine said:

I don't think the Saudis are funding the protest.  These protests have taken on a life of their own (the unanticipated dividends I mentioned).  I think foreign money has historically fueled the protests against Canadian and now American oil, and still has influence at the root of groups like the Sierra club.

The Sierra Club is working with one of the most despotic governments in the world?

Saudi Arabia holds debt with the US, amounting to $117,000,000,000. That's 9 zeros. Why would they purposely try to undermine a debtor?

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

The Sierra Club is working with one of the most despotic governments in the world?

Saudi Arabia holds debt with the US, amounting to $117,000,000,000. That's 9 zeros. Why would they purposely try to undermine a debtor?

I don't think there's much point in injecting any logic into that particular conversation, Phil.

Some people here are talking about a pipeline, while others seem to be using a pipe....

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

This doesn't prove your silly conspiracy theory. Of course the Sierra Club is going to oppose pipelines. They're an environmental organization.

They likely protest clear cut logging as well, but it doesn't mean that their funding comes form US softwood producers. It comes from people who want to preserve nature.

As far as the Dakota protest goes, the story somewhat glossed over the real pertinent question, in my mind. Is the land being used for the pipeline actually owned by the Dakota tribes, or is it land under claim. In either event, there should always be consultation in such circumstances, but if the land is actually Dakota property, I'd like to know how the government can just use it against their wishes.

Is this some sort of annexation? I'd imagine the legal battles in such a case could drag on for a long time.

The land in question is federally owned but crosses a large swath of the Missouri River. The potential for leakage is huge. This is Standing Rock's sole water supply. 

The Department of the Interior, Department of the Army, and Department of Justice understand the issue and want to speak with the people of these nations, as they realize there needs to be a common thread binding us altogether. 

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I don't think there's much point in injecting any logic into that particular conversation, Phil.

Some people here are talking about a pipeline, while others seem to be using a pipe...

Fair enough though. I'm conflicted because I do enjoy vongole.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

The land in question is federally owned but crosses a large swath of the Missouri River. The potential for leakage is huge. This is Standing Rock's sole water supply. 

The Department of the Interior, Department of the Army, and Department of Justice understand the issue and want to speak with the people of these nations, as they realize there needs to be a common thread binding us altogether. 

That is actually scary. If I remember my geography correctly, the Missouri is the longest river in the US (maybe N.A.) It seems to me that a spill could affect a lot more than Standing Rock...

Archived