The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Development Camp 2017 - Updated with roster, schedule

1 hour ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

I was fond of Ryan Johnson as a player, and the more and more I see him speak as a Player Development Coach/Advisor, the more I am fond of him.

I wouldn't be surprised if he made his way up the ladder soon.  Sounds like an articulate, intelligent guy, and has an eye for the game.

On 7/8/2017 at 7:47 PM, appleboy said:

They are not about to pay him 6 mil a year. Do you think they will? If he plays well he will be a UFA and will garner a ridiculous price on the open market. If they were serious about him don't you think they would have tried to sign him longer so he didn't become a UFA? Three four years maybe.

I think he will be trade bait. That is all I am trying to get across. They will not want to lose him for nothing.

Seeing that you are only speculating here & have no facts to back your view. Here is my look on it & most likely closer to reality of the situation.

JB & Gub have come to a mutual agreement on a show me deal this year. If Gub plays average he will get an average extension ($3.5 - $4 per yr.)  If he plays above average than he will get an above average extension. ($4 - $5 per yr.)  No Team is going to offer $6 unless he starts QB'ing the PP as well. (not)  

He's worth $3 - $5 mill per yr. & that will be figured out shortly here. This is not going to be as difficult as you seem to think but if it does we have the option to trade him at some point this season as well. I'm sure we could do better than a McCann in return.

Gub has said himself that he wants to be here & JB has said that he wants Gub here. 

So both parties want to be here & that means the Canucks have the upper hand on any other team at this moment. 

No need to get yourself all worked up over a player that is staying in Vancouver cause he wants to & WE need a player like him.

20 minutes ago, CoolCanucklehead said:

Seeing that you are only speculating here & have no facts to back your view. Here is my look on it & most likely closer to reality of the situation.

JB & Gub have come to a mutual agreement on a show me deal this year. If Gub plays average he will get an average extension ($3.5 - $4 per yr.)  If he plays above average than he will get an above average extension. ($4 - $5 per yr.)  No Team is going to offer $6 unless he starts QB'ing the PP as well. (not)  

He's worth $3 - $5 mill per yr. & that will be figured out shortly here. This is not going to be as difficult as you seem to think but if it does we have the option to trade him at some point this season as well. I'm sure we could do better than a McCann in return.

Gub has said himself that he wants to be here & JB has said that he wants Gub here. 

So both parties want to be here & that means the Canucks have the upper hand on any other team at this moment. 

No need to get yourself all worked up over a player that is staying in Vancouver cause he wants to & WE need a player like him.

This could very well be but we are also seeing a bit of a change of direction in the clubs approach. Analytics' seems to be playing a bigger picture in decisions. First we need to see how he plays this year and then we will see their true intentions latter on.

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

This could very well be but we are also seeing a bit of a change of direction in the clubs approach. Analytics' seems to be playing a bigger picture in decisions. First we need to see how he plays this year and then we will see their true intentions latter on.

They've used analytics all along, admitting that it was in place before they got here.  Don't see any particular change; they use it as a supplemental tool, not a driver.

9 hours ago, the_impersonator13 said:

Haha. Yeah all in good fun of course. But some of the in game management/ deployments and roster choices was simply mind boggling! 

I'm afraid it depends whose mind we are talking about. 

Megna for instance was good at everything bar finishing. He was fast, a hard worker and could fit on most lines. (even the Sedins saw the logic of having him on their line and said so.) Vey was the same, he was in the team because he could PLAY and he could help others play around him and we had no one better at the time.

I'm not going to go over all the same ground again of - Tryamkin was not in condition to play immediately, that is why they tried to send him to Utica (he admitted that) or Stecher was not subject to waivers and Larsen was that is why Larsen was favoured, or that Willie seemed upset when Stillie was signed over Ruutu, or that the only reason Jake was sent down was he was playing like a bloated whale, or Pedan played the game like he had walked in off the street or that Willie was blamed for not icing a cripple (Rodin) and only due to NHL rules did he have to have him dressed and on the bench (look at the damage it could have done to the boy if Willie had sent him out as he needed a further operation and is still not totally fit.

The amount of ignorant, uninformed cr-ppola that was written by idiots on here about these things could have filled a library.

These are all conveniently forgotten facts which have been used to disrespect a very good coach who was used as a scapegoat in the end for poor signings, poor forward planning (regarding UFA signings) muddled thinking regarding a "rebuild" "retool" or "clusterf--k" and horrendous injuries. What WD did well was virtually the only thing he could do in the circumstances and that was to improve every young player who played for him and that was no small achievement imo.

Archived