The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we take Liljegren?

Hortankin

Liljegren  

118 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

21 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Absolutely, I think we should.  Great skater, was discussed as top pick in draft last year but Mono dropped his stock.  Perfect complement to OJ.  D takes longer to develop.  

Impossible to get top flight puck moving, PP running D-man.  They don't come to market, rarely traded, no one gives them up.  Benning seems to think he is the next Karlsson.

I will take the top tear of Defence over the second tear of centre.  That being said we really need a centre.  To me though when the 3-7 centre are essentially equivalent and much less regarded than 1-2 we are probably better taking the D.

This team has never had a great #1 D man and if this guy has a chance than I would absolutely take him.  Having OJ and him to build around is great and we will be picking high again next year.

Won't be upset if we get centre though but worry about some of the second group.

Do we really need a center? Bo is already proven to be a future #1, and we have Sutter as a long term solid #3. Then there are so many options for #2 C...

Granlund

Dahlen

Gaudette

---------------

Zhukenov

I think Gaudette is the man for the #2 and the other 2 will be wingers that can play C when needed. If I'm Benning I'm going all out on D in this draft. Our goaltending is set for the future, and so is our offence IMO. I think we need to try and hit as many Homers on D as we can. While we do that keep in contact with Tryamkin and let him know we want him back.

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Not entirely sure that true. 

Well when there are a dozen new defensmen available then it does in one way or another. Teams can get a good defenseman at a way cheaper price from LV, not saying they are nearly as good as Tanev but it's a business and if they can get a cheaper vet D then they will. 

Honestly if Jim keeps Tanev I won't be upset, it just means the trade wasn't there. 

44 minutes ago, cyoung said:

Well when there are a dozen new defensmen available then it does in one way or another. Teams can get a good defenseman at a way cheaper price from LV, not saying they are nearly as good as Tanev but it's a business and if they can get a cheaper vet D then they will. 

Honestly if Jim keeps Tanev I won't be upset, it just means the trade wasn't there. 

Yup. 

14 hours ago, Hortankin said:

Do we really need a center? Bo is already proven to be a future #1, and we have Sutter as a long term solid #3. Then there are so many options for #2 C...

Granlund

Dahlen

Gaudette

---------------

Zhukenov

I think Gaudette is the man for the #2 and the other 2 will be wingers that can play C when needed. If I'm Benning I'm going all out on D in this draft. Our goaltending is set for the future, and so is our offence IMO. I think we need to try and hit as many Homers on D as we can. While we do that keep in contact with Tryamkin and let him know we want him back.

That may be enough to turn into a first round playoff team but that is not good enough at centre to win.   Don't forget we are going to be matched up against the McJesus Oilers for the next decade so we are going to need to beat a centre platoon that includes McDavid, Draisaitl, RNH and Strome at this point.  Add on some quality wingers.  Bo and Gaudette don't compete with that.

I love Bo, good player, great guy and very nice family.  He struggled to score when he became the focus of the defensive schemes and if anything has shown that he will likely be a good 2nd line centre.

Much as I like the guys listed there is a reason that they Granlund and Dahlen were available for relatively cheap, they are serviceable players.  Gaudette and Zhukenov may turn into professional hockey players but may not.  

Our goaltending has one really good prospect, which is not the same thing as set.  

I disagree with the assessment of Sutter as solid #3, he is an overpaid utility player that is a possession anchor and inconsistent scorer.

23 hours ago, Hortankin said:

Granlund

Dahlen

Gaudette

---------------

Zhukenov

Not arguing that we should draft a D and think Lilljegren should probably be the guy, in fact that was my original point.

Think we do need a number one C though, no mystery there.  Just not sure the second tier guys available tonight fit that bill.  Could be good players but I want an elite centre, as much like an elite D we have never had one (other than Henrik and over the hill guys in Messier and Sundin).

Archived