The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2018 NHL Entry Draft

Zfetch

11 minutes ago, tas said:

this is what I've been saying since benning's first year, when the media and fans were constantly screeching about benning trading 2nd rounders for projects or "throwing in" late round picks in trades. the guy has draft swagger. he genuinely believes he can afford to "waste" picks in that fashion because he KNOWS he's going to hit on a higher percentage of his picks than virtually anyone else. 

He knows the value of any given draft pick and is able to evaluate with some accuracy the potential of any given player. This gives him the confidence to trade draft picks for players.

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Fun to watch. Shows clearly how happy the team was with this draft. With Hughes, they’re positively giddy (as was I). And Woo is pretty clearly their guy from the opening of day two (really sounds like he was a clear first rounder on their list).

Madden they’re also obviously quite high on and had targeted on their lists well ahead of the spot he’s drafted. Sounds like they were considering Skarek with that pick and probably had him as the top goalie in the draft (as did I). I really like the bit where Judd says he sees Madden replacing “our guy” (Gaudette) in his role with Northeastern. Should be fun to watch if TM has a similar development path to AG. 

Then there’s Manukyan, who again, they all seem really excited about at the table.

As for Utunen and Thiessen, they’re less animated about them in the clips, but both were solid picks and from post draft comments it seems like they were happy getting both in the spots they were picked. I also like the bit where Judd basically says CHL goalies in the late rounds rarely ever pan out. Definitely a smarter move to go with the NCAA bound netminder in the 7th.

Brackett always impresses me in these videos. Probably the best drafting decision Benning’s made since coming to Vancouver was promoting Judd to director of scouting and just letting Brackett basically run the draft table for these last couple years. Jim clearly still has the final say on everything but it’s interesting to watch how much everyone looks to Judd to make the call on most of the draft day decisions, even including the trades. This is what you want from a scouting department and its director and it seems like the Canucks are finally in a really good place with their draft table. It’s taken decades and several GMs for us to get here, so credit to Benning for finally putting a draft system and personnel in place in Vancouver that seems to be working well and likely should pay dividends for years to come.

I wholly agree. Benning deserves a lot of credit. Weisbrod deserves some credit as well.

On 7/19/2018 at 10:01 AM, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Get an inside look at the Canucks 2018 NHL Draft as Jim Benning, John Weisbrod and Judd Brackett continue to build for the future of the team.

Possibly the greatest mystery of the Canucks Organization: How has Ron Delorme kept his job through 6 GM changes and 3 owner changes?

he sits beside the big boys (GM, President, AGM) but no one ever looks at him... he was a terrible head scout

i thought maybe he had pictures on someone- but is possibly the longest serving member of the organization and no one has ever said a good thing about his drafting

does anyone have any answers?

9 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

Possibly the greatest mystery of the Canucks Organization: How has Ron Delorme kept his job through 6 GM changes and 3 owner changes?

he sits beside the big boys (GM, President, AGM) but no one ever looks at him... he was a terrible head scout

i thought maybe he had pictures on someone- but is possibly the longest serving member of the organization and no one has ever said a good thing about his drafting

does anyone have any answers?

Because he's an awesome scout.  Just a bad administrator. 

Can't remember where I heard that.  An insider (a real one, not a talking head)

On 7/22/2018 at 8:16 PM, Crabcakes said:

Because he's an awesome scout.  Just a bad administrator. 

Can't remember where I heard that.  An insider (a real one, not a talking head)

I heard it as an awesome scout, but the powers that be went against the scouting department's recommendations more often than not.

Benning, on the other hand, has huge respect with his scouting staff and results have shown that in the last couple of years.

Archived