The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning interviewed by Bob McKenzie

Goat James

7 hours ago, canucksnihilist said:

"make room" means Utica.  All the previous talk about making room and compete means nothing.  The plan is to not loose players to waivers, which makes sense.  How "unfortunate" that there is no place for any of the young players ;)

rebuilding through injury...  canucks moto

Dorsett is a long shot and Gaunce will be a while before he will be reasy to go.

"Dorsett only knows how to play one way" .  I will need to see him take a few big hits before I will believe he is good to go. He should retire. 

9 hours ago, ice orca said:

What happened to Granlund? Boeser would likely make the big squad over that last 3

Well crap, forgot about Granlund :lol:

No, Boeser isn't. He won't be playing in a lower minute, checking role. Far better off in Utica if that's the case. 

14 hours ago, J.R. said:

*Reminded I forgot Granlund, so edited lineup...

I think Boucher is penciled in as 'waivers' unless he's had a hell of a summer. But I think it's likely Rodin/Boeser/Boucher for the 'skilled winger' spot. 

I'm warming up to Burmistrov centering a 3rd, secondary skill line (with say Vanek and Rodin?) as per Benning's comments too (I wanted Gagner for that role but agree he'd also fit well on the twins W and as a secondary, RH'd C). 

Going to be tough for Boeser to crack the lineup though as he's going to have to look noticeably better than one of Rodin or Vanek. I still think he's first call up in Utica. And I'm ok with that. 

Wings (particularly RW) could move up/down but:

Baer, Horvat, Eriksson 

Sedin, Sedin, Gagner

Granlund, Burmistrov, Vanek

_____, Sutter, Dorsett 

Rodin as 13th waiting for injury?

With Gaunce out that leaves a spot available on that line for the likes of Chaput, Virtanen, Molino etc? Don't see Boeser in a checking role. 

Then there's 13th forward (White?) that will almost certainly go to a bubble vet over a kid. 

I think that seems like a pretty reasonable line up.  I agree Brock needs to be put in an offensive role or he should be in the AHL.  That spot might be Jakes chance to show he's ready this year. if not White could be a solid addition. 

You can almost guarantee an injury (or two) to happen in preseason so I think we will for sure see Rodin in the lineup.  But with that said, i expect us to rotate players from game to game and that will change up the line combinations, so what we see Oct 15th will likely look completely different Nov 1st

12 hours ago, GoBoGo53 said:

The only problem with this is that these numbers aren't adjusted for QoC (quality of competition). While it's effects are normally overstated, Gagner was heavily sheltered in a bottom 6 role with Columbus where he dominated bottom pairing dmen. Not saying he can't keep up the results but a drastic change in QoC might have an impact on his production, going from bottom pairing dmen to facing #1 centers and dpairings with the sedins.

thats true, but he did have top 6 minutes with his time in Edmonton so not too concerned about it. He's also a veteran guy who will be able to follow the playbook of being successful with the twins, we'll see if he can though. Nice thing is if this doesn't work out going back to Granlund is a nice fall back position too. 

I like the line combo's this allows. This is the top 9 I'd love to see to start the year. 

Sedin-Sedin-Gagner

Loui-Bo-Boeser

Baer-Sutter-Granlund 

Archived