The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Benning interviewed by Bob McKenzie

Goat James

James M. Banning (June 11, 1865 – October 14, 1952) was a catcher in Major League Baseball in the 19th century. He played for the Washington Nationals of the National League. He appeared in one game in 1888 and two games in 1889 for the Nationals. Banning's minor league career included stints with the Fargo, ND teams of the Red River Valley League in both the 1887 and 1897 seasons. He also appeared in a 25-inning contest for Fargo against Grand Forks, ND in 1891.[1]

Jim Banning.jpg

Sounds like they expect Dahlen within a few weeks, hope thats not wishful thinking and he can get most of a year in. 

The one other interesting thing is it sounds like a lot of the younger guys are going to get a chance to play the exhibition games here while more vets will be over in China, so they can get a chance to stand out. 

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Sounds like they expect Dahlen within a few weeks, hope thats not wishful thinking and he can get most of a year in. 

The one other interesting thing is it sounds like a lot of the younger guys are going to get a chance to play the exhibition games here while more vets will be over in China, so they can get a chance to stand out. 

Speaking of Dahlen, at least he will be under close watch this week as he's going to be coming to Vancouver to be treated. 

43 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Pretty long winded interview...I don't think there's much of anything new in the interview,that most Canuck fans don't already know.

Feel like the only interviews that matter are end of the season, pre-draft, and pre-Free Agency interviews. Even then most of it is "we'll see after we meet with our pro scouts".

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Reading between the lines I am less sure Boeser is going to start the season here (barring injury).

Also Gagner being the first one to be tried with the Sedins is a surprise.  I kind of thought iBoeser would go there and Gagner on 3rd line wth Sutter.

Gagner with the Twins caught me off guard as well.  But not that they might start Boeser lower in the line up. Some are even guessing he might start in Utica?

And but, but? Gagner is a talented guy. He should have the skills to play their game. The reason it surprised me was, in the past, albeit with coaches like AV, a guy who would do the dirty work, such as Burrows, was often the best solution.  Fly in on the fore-check. Retrieve the puck. Bang in front of the net and wait for tips and rebounds? I believe Gagner is more skilled than Burrows. Will the line have enough of the other stuff?

A lot of people also penciled in Granlund. Me more than once. But the Twins also had a lousy year last year. And Grnalund looked, perhaps the best. But it never amounted to good results. I, however, wrote that off to Willie's deployment. They also started more shifts, without any stout defensive guy on their line, taking defensive draws. Maybe it was just that that was never going to go anywhere...   

Gagner will be good if they go back to, AV style, a deployment where they are propped up into all the key offensive opportunities. Then the question becomes, how do they craft defensive assignments between Bo & Sutter's lines???

30 minutes ago, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Speaking of Dahlen, at least he will be under close watch this week as he's going to be coming to Vancouver to be treated. 

interesting... maybe there's an antiviral treatment for mono now? it must not be that bad for him right now anyway if he's flying. I'm sure the people on his flight are trilled :lol:

10 minutes ago, Provost said:

Reading between the lines I am less sure Boeser is going to start the season here (barring injury).

Also Gagner being the first one to be tried with the Sedins is a surprise.  I kind of thought iBoeser would go there and Gagner on 3rd line wth Sutter.

Either Vanek, Gagne or even L.E. should be the guys to play with the Sedins.  Boeser with Horvat hopefully.  I can see why Vanek would be better suited for the third line, less minutes plus first pp time lines up better with his recent play time. 

I get what your saying though, I think that Rodin might play before Boeser gets his turn, and the other of the two spots Bennings reffering to is on the fourth line or even the seventh defenseman.

16 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Either Vanek, Gagne or even L.E. should be the guys to play with the Sedins.  Boeser with Horvat hopefully.  I can see why Vanek would be better suited for the third line, less minutes plus first pp time lines up better with his recent play time. 

I get what your saying though, I think that Rodin might play before Boeser gets his turn, and the other of the two spots Bennings reffering to is on the fourth line or even the seventh defenseman.

To me, more than who plays with the Twins (Isn't that such old news now)?

How do we craft a match up line?  I am guessing Bo is going to be the 2knd line center hands down. And i mean that in that his line will probably the second line, not first, thrown into both offensive & defensive situations. But that will also add up to the most minutes.  Bo is not up to Kesler's defensive& combative level yet. As much as he is ahead of where we hoped offensively. He is behind defensively.  So Sutter, IMO will bear the weight of defensive assignments untill Bo is ready.  And we dont have well honed defensive wingers like Burrows or Hansen anymore. So who is our 3rd and defensive match up line?

Granlund Sutter Eriksson?

I know we need to score more. And that may look better this year. But up front we dont look very stout defensively either.

edit, breakdown (?);

Danny Hank Gagner

Baer Bo Vanek

Granlund Sutter Eriksson

Rodin Burmistrov Dorsett

White 

15 minutes ago, IBatch said:

FWIW i pulled out a comparison chart of Gagne and Hansen and one of Gagne and Granlund from the 'own the puck' site. Based on these numbers anyway its not that nutty an idea. I wouldn't read too much into these but certainly they all seem to be around the same level in terms of 1st assists and shot suppression, and Gagne's shot generation number is encouraging. 

Story 1.png

Story 2.png

Archived