The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Bettman and Nenshi give Flames owners good reason to sell the team

Mackcanuck

On 12/14/2017 at 9:24 AM, coryberg said:

Yawn!

The NHL wont let the horrible markets of Phoenix (31st at 13,000 av) and Carolina (32nd at 11,700 av) move but they will allow Calgary who sits at #10 with an average attendance of 18,700?

166.gif

And factor in what those markets pay for tickets.....

On 12/26/2017 at 9:23 AM, MikeBossy said:

Herein lies the problem - yes this is an article on the NFL but it happens in all Pro sports:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2013/10/how-the-nfl-fleeces-taxpayers/309448/

Its a bit of a read but fantastic article on how NFL owners have fleeced taxpayers in the US. Same thing is happening in Baseball, Basketball and Hockey. These owners didn't become Billionaires using their own money - they are experts on getting others to pay for their products (In this case a sports team)

In the end I don't see the Flames leaving and I agree with Jimmy McGill - let the taxpayers decided via referendum.

I agree with the people that are tired of these stadium blackmail tactics.  Build a new facility or your team will move....

Such a racket on so many levels, not the least of which is building buildings.

Tickets, concessions, merchandise, parking, broadcast revenues, etc....you never see an integrated accounting of all these cash cows.

The irony for me - is the rhetoric of market 'realism' - against this backdrop of competitive sport industries with their hands out, as if they can't survive on their own, can't build their own buildings.  If that's the case, perhaps their markets shouldn't survive.   Leveraging city against city in this ongoing racket....no wonder people are tired of it.

Archived