The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Lateral prospect trades

3 hours ago, mll said:

Why would teams give up one good prospect for two lesser ones.  They have a better chance of getting a player out of one good prospect than two average ones.  It's the same as all those proposals 2 roster players for an upgrade - why would a team bring in two players who cost more combined than the better player they would be giving up. 

Gudbranson isn't a prospect. He could be very useful to a team looking at making the finals.

Some GMs would give up a good prospect for a vet that can help right away. Benning got Dahlen and Goldobin for Burrows and Hansen, so I wouldn't say that deal is unreasonable.

The catch is Canucks cannot retain on Gudbranson or any other contract, so you are right about the salary.

4 hours ago, Canadian Clay said:

Would you be in favour of trading a winger prospect for a D prospect?

I would be willing for sure, but why not have the best of both worlds and just trade Vets and or later picks for D prospects...then we keep our prized prospects and add to them .

I figure our depth of young forwards will grow with the team allowing JB to move guys like Baer, Granny, Sutter (Vanek and Gagner) to contenders who want NHL proven forwards for young, strong Dmen.

Makes way more sense than packaging a bunch of nothing for almost nothing.

The Draft Analyst gave a decent ranking of defensemen for January..........a lot of good names, with great credentials

First 2 Rounds

#1. Ramus Dahlin     LHD

----------------------------------------------------

#5. Ty Smith    LHD

#6. Adam Boqvist    RHD

#10. Quinn Hughes    LHD

#14, Bode Wilde   RHD

#16. Noah Dobson     RHD

#18. Jared McIsaac     LHD

#19. Evan Bouchard   RHD

-----------------------------------------------------

#24. K'andre Miller   LHD

#25. Alex Alexeeyev   LHD

#27. Calen Addison   RHD

==============================

#34. Ryan Merkley   RHD

#40. Mattais Sameulsson LHD

#45. Kevin Bahl    LHD

#46. Xavair Bouchard    RHD

#48. Filip Johansson   RHD

#49. Ramus Sandin    LHD

#51. Ondrej Buchtela    RHD

#52. Jet Woo   RHD

#53. Danlia Galenyuk    LHD

#62. Toni Utunen    LHD

2 Righties in the top 19, would just be fine! Another Dman in the 2nd, and I am fine!

30 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

The Draft Analyst gave a decent ranking of defensemen for January..........a lot of good names, with great credentials

First 2 Rounds

#1. Ramus Dahlin     LHD

#5. Ty Smith    LHD

#6. Adam Boqvist    RHD

#10. Quinn Hughes    LHD

#14, Bode Wilde   RHD

#16. Noah Dobson     RHD

#18. Jared McIsaac     LHD

#19. Evan Bouchard   RHD

-----------------------------------------------------

#24. K'andre Miller   LHD

#25. Alex Alexeeyev   LHD

#27. Calen Addison   RHD

==============================

#34. Ryan Merkley   RHD

#40. Mattais Sameulsson LHD

#45. Kevin Bahl    LHD

#46. Xavair Bouchard    RHD

#48. Filip Johansson   RHD

#49. Ramus Sandin    LHD

#51. Ondrej Buchtela    RHD

#52. Jet Woo   RHD

#53. Danlia Galenyuk    LHD

#62. Toni Utunen    LHD

2 Righties in the top 19, would just be fine! Another Dman in the 2nd, and I am fine!

Given our lottery success I suspect we end up drafting Boqvist. Never know, might pick up Merkley in the 2ND and 

JET WOO in the 3rd. That is an awesome name.

I bet he skates as fast as he punches and we'll all be like "Woo-hoo"!

1 hour ago, canuckmen84 said:

I would be willing for sure, but why not have the best of both worlds and just trade Vets and or later picks for D prospects...then we keep our prized prospects and add to them .

Yeah this would be ideal. But my thought is, if a Vet (say Gudbransen for example) gets you a 2nd round pick and a B prospect, but Gudbransen + Lind gets you a 2nd round pick and an A prospect, maybe it’s worth going for the A prospect. 

It'll happen but not yet. More likely when the players are in the NHL and both teams know exactly what they have and what both teams are trading for. 

If we have too many forwards and not enough D we will trade a young forward for a Dman with similar issues but opposite. 

2 hours ago, luckylager said:

Given our lottery success I suspect we end up drafting Boqvist. Never know, might pick up Merkley in the 2ND and 

JET WOO in the 3rd. That is an awesome name.

I bet he skates as fast as he punches and we'll all be like "Woo-hoo"!

Just to be a Negative Nelly.....................our luck is that Dahlin and Boqvist are both gone by the time we pick

I really like the write ups on Wilde, Dobson and Bouchard as RHD's

Not so keen on Merkley................great offense.............................no defense...................the 3 above all have great offensive abilities and are no defensive liabilities

I have always like Woo........................who ever gets Woo..............I hope he develops, because the cheer will be awesome

If we do not get #1 or #2, would you trade down to say..................NYI's 2 1sts (NYI + Calgarys) 9th OA + 21 OA ?

Or.....................................................................................................Phili's 2 1sts (Phili + StL) 16th OA + 24th OA?

Or.....................................................................................................Tampa's 1st + Cal Foote  (Basically 2017 14th OA + 2018 31st OA)

Just a question???

I agree that we should target one or two d-men.  If any of the GM's would look into those trades then I think we should go for it.

My suggestion on these boards before was Jake Virtanen for Travis Sanheim.  They were both the same draft year, drafted about ten years apart.  Philly has loads of young d-men, and a guy like Virtanen fits the style of play of Philly.  He could also be good alongside Patrick if Virtanen earns a top spot.  Sanheim is a good young big d man who is equal value to Virtanen but at a position that helps us more.

11 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

If we do not get #1 or #2, would you trade down to say..................NYI's 2 1sts (NYI + Calgarys) 9th OA + 21 OA ?

Or.....................................................................................................Phili's 2 1sts (Phili + StL) 16th OA + 24th OA?

Or.....................................................................................................Tampa's 1st + Cal Foote  (Basically 2017 14th OA + 2018 31st OA)

Just a question???

Interesting.  At this point I think we want quality of prospect over quantity of prospect.  Therefore, I'd say probably not. However if there's a drop off in elite talent by the time we pick and the next wave of guys are relatively equally skilled then I think we could go for that.  If we can get a top d-man, that's our top priority

11 minutes ago, underrated said:

Interesting.  At this point I think we want quality of prospect over quantity of prospect.  Therefore, I'd say probably not. However if there's a drop off in elite talent by the time we pick and the next wave of guys are relatively equally skilled then I think we could go for that.  If we can get a top d-man, that's our top priority

2016 draft................................Juolevi (drafted 5th), Mikhail Sergachev (9th), Jake Bean (13th), Charlie McAvoy (14th)

I really like Juolevi, and all 4 of these defensemen will play in the NHL, but if we are going to draft a RHD............"IF"

Then outside of Dahlin., and Boqvist.................there are 3 very good RHD Defencemen between 14 OA and 19 OA.....on that list, which will change by June

Wilde, Dobson, and Bouchard are all Offensive leaders within their leagues..........not saying we don't take someone else or that we should move down, but it is question, with such a large group of Defensemen available.

Just on a different related note.............we could pick a forward with our pick, but unless he is a can't miss, I think we can pick up another set of forwards next draft, as they do not take as long to develop as a rule.....................this draft should be defense focused draft for us

I am not sure the quality different between Boqvist and the next 3 is huge.................I could be wrong, but at 17....that is the risk!...aka Juolevi

It will be interesting to see what Benning does................

Archived