The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Proposal - Van/Tor and Van/Edm

6 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

Not sure how this is relevant. Toronto had a great regular season but lost in the first round of the playoffs mainly because of a porous defence. Tanev’s value is not measured by his offensive production. He would fill a need that the Leafs have to deal with if they want to be a serious Stanley Cup contender.

Not sure they will see Hutton as a solution to their porous defence.  

Tanev can probably help them but it's probably not at the expense of a 52 pts D that can play a full season.  They also have to get into the playoffs.  Games are won on goal differential - what they lose offensively they will need to gain defensively to continue to win games.  Even if Tanev helps them defensively they now have a problem on offence.

They also lost because for the most part they weren't playing their game.  Matthews with limited production is not a true reflection of his abilities - he was not the only one that disappeared.  They need to figure out what is more stage fright and can be improved vs what is a hole in their roster.  

16 hours ago, Schmautzie said:

Yes I do believe RNH is a first line quality centre who would be a great fit with Brock Boeser on his wing. Plus he just turned twenty five. 

It would also allow Bo Horvat to play the second line centre role to which he is more suited.

Fair enough.  I don't entirely agree.

He had a good year riding the wing on the top line I believe, but he's not the hard-nosed guy we need as our 1st line center, imo.  He usually doesn't play a full season either, which is a huge detriment when you'd be relying on him to center your best players.

It isn't as far off as my first impressions, really, but I just don't think the scenario is as ideal as you believe.  Plus with all the trading in the proposal, we end up losing a fair amount. I'd almost be inclined to stop with the first trade and keep Gardiner.  He's in the doghouse out there and he'd be able to bring some much-needed scoring from the blueline.

On 2018-05-16 at 4:45 PM, kloubek said:

What good does a second 2nd line center do for us?  (Or do you believe he is going to improve to be a 1st line center?)

We aren't at the point where we need quantity anymore.  We need quality.

RNH is better than Horvat, so that's an upgrade, plus he plays against best competition when the coach has the last change often which tells you something about his game.   We currently have NOBODY in that role, sure maybe Pettersson will save us but who's Horvat going to play with then?  

But at least we'd have three defensively responsible centers.   Why not just cut out the middle man and trade Tanev straight across...well probably because Tanev isn't worth an RNH, and if and when we do trade Tanev we need a replacement, earlier model that's tough around the edges but has upside, or a mid to late first rounder.   We have nobody aside from Pettersson and Gaudette in the system to fill the hole H.Sedin left, wait until next year, you will understand then why suggesting we pick up RNH would be a good thing.

Just now, IBatch said:

RNH is better than Horvat, so that's an upgrade, plus he plays against best competition when the coach has the last change often which tells you something about his game.   We currently have NOBODY in that role, sure maybe Pettersson will save us but who's Horvat going to play with then?  

But at least we'd have three defensively responsible centers.   Why not just cut out the middle man and trade Tanev straight across...well probably because Tanev isn't worth an RNH, and if and when we do trade Tanev we need a replacement, earlier model that's tough around the edges but has upside, or a mid to late first rounder.   We have nobody aside from Pettersson and Gaudette in the system to fill the hole H.Sedin left, wait until next year, you will understand then why suggesting we pick up RNH would be a good thing.

What?  RNH is one of the softest and easiest players in the league to play against.  He’s way overpaid for what he can offer to a team.  I would be shocked if a smart hockey person, like JB, would have any interest in RNH.  

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

What?  RNH is one of the softest and easiest players in the league to play against.  He’s way overpaid for what he can offer to a team.  I would be shocked if a smart hockey person, like JB, would have any interest in RNH.  

???.  Easiest to play against in the league?  Soft isn't the right word, injury prone is, jusy Salo and Tanev, doesn't mean he isn't a good player.  Nobody on our team has his pedigree, 22 points in 11 games as a Junior, awards for leadership and ability up the Ying, Yang, theres a reason he went first overall.  He's only 25, EDM decided to move him to the wing to get McDavid going, and guess what it worked.  

Or does his NHL record for first hat trick against the Canucks bother you (just kidding).

His cap hit is reasonable, if he ever plays a full year he's a sixty plus point player with no real skill on his line.  If he plays with McDavid an entire year probably more.   Not saying I want him on our team, just saying it's not the worst idea out there, it would improve our team and he's not that old.  He's managed more playing less games than Horvat, with the same cap hit.

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

???.  Easiest to play against in the league?  Soft isn't the right word, injury prone is, jusy Salo and Tanev, doesn't mean he isn't a good player.  Nobody on our team has his pedigree, 22 points in 11 games as a Junior, awards for leadership and ability up the Ying, Yang, theres a reason he went first overall.  He's only 25, EDM decided to move him to the wing to get McDavid going, and guess what it worked.  

Or does his NHL record for first hat trick against the Canucks bother you (just kidding).

His cap hit is reasonable, if he ever plays a full year he's a sixty plus point player with no real skill on his line.  If he plays with McDavid an entire year probably more.   Not saying I want him on our team, just saying it's not the worst idea out there, it would improve our team and he's not that old.  He's managed more playing less games than Horvat, with the same cap hit.

Bo is already a much better player than RNH.  RNH is an east-west player.  His offence doesn’t even come close to compensating for his defensive liabilities.  Sutter is better than RNH.  Why would we go backwards as a team?  

And I like RNH.  Just not on our team.  He would be an ideal third line center on a very good team.  

15 hours ago, IBatch said:

Well waitasec.  RNH is better than Horvat?  1) He's been in the league longer, and 2) He doesn't play as well rounded and physical game as Horvat.  3) He was out some of the year but did have a career ppg year.  Yet, he played with the Oiler's top players like McJesus whereas Horvat had Boeser, but also had the far lesser Baertschi on his other wing.

At this stage in the game, I'd actually rather have Horvat.  

I really think we need a true #1 center.  If Pettersson isn't going to be that guy, then we need to get that guy elsewhere.  This is why I am such a big fan of trying to get Tavares.  He would fill that role immediately, and he plays the kind of game we want to see... not some soft(ish) guy who is often injured.  Then we can have Pettersson on the LW once he is ready and a Pettersson Tavares Boeser line looks as good as any in the league.  AND we retain one of the best defensive defensemen in the league until it is time to move him.  

This proposal as originally presented gives us what I believe to be two 2nd line centers, does nothing to address our lack of grit (in fact, reduces it with the lack of Sutter) and really hurts our defense in the process.

Archived