The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Quantity for quality

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

I can see Goldy on .waivers, but not Ganny.

I think goldy would get picked up on waivers. I think teams took notice of his skill last year and he would get plucked and we would be regretting it. He is the kind of player we need to keep over players like Gagner.

Just now, janisahockeynut said:

We can't just trade players for the sake of it...….there has to be a point to the trade...……..up grade, lateral move, picks

The point is to clear space for young players and move redundant players like Sutter and Gagner while bringing in more skill to our top 6.

16 minutes ago, babalu said:

The point is to clear space for young players and move redundant players like Sutter and Gagner while bringing in more skill to our top 6.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I am all for moving them, but!

We just are not getting a top 6 player....especially not one that will makes us a Stanley cup contender

No doubt you can get lucky in a trade.....but no GM is going to take a 3 for 1 trade, unless he is damaged...aka E. Kane

Now Sutter + may get you a mid/mid high 1st (18 to 25 ish)....but the plus is a very low 2nd as well....that is how you get your 2nd line player

Pick....draft.....develop.....wait......hope!

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I am all for moving them, but!

We just are not getting a top 6 player....especially not one that will makes us a Stanley cup contender

No doubt you can get lucky in a trade.....but no GM is going to take a 3 for 1 trade, unless he is damaged...aka E. Kane

Now Sutter + may get you a mid/mid high 1st (18 to 25 ish)....but the plus is a very low 2nd as well....that is how you get your 2nd line player

Pick....draft.....develop.....wait......hope!

I'm not expecting that a trade will make us a stanley cup contender. I just think we could improve our top six from what it is now. Nobody thought William Karlsson was going to be as good as he was for Vegas when they got him. Perhaps there is another skilled player buried by the depth of another team or a team that is looking to trade a good player for cap reasons.

18 minutes ago, babalu said:

I'm not expecting that a trade will make us a stanley cup contender. I just think we could improve our top six from what it is now. Nobody thought William Karlsson was going to be as good as he was for Vegas when they got him. Perhaps there is another skilled player buried by the depth of another team or a team that is looking to trade a good player for cap reasons.

here is the thing...……...think long term on this

LW  (6)                                                             Center  (6)                                     RW (4)

Baertschi/Pettersson                         Pettersson/Horvat/2019 1st                      Boeser

Baertschi/Goldobin/Dahlen                              Horvat                               2019 1st/Lind/Virtanen

Leipsic/Dahlen/Goldobin/Gadjovich                Gaudette                                    Lind/Virtanen

Gadjovich                                             Motte/MacEwen/Maden                        Lockwood

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roussel                                                          Schaller                                         Beagle...………………………...all 4 years

So if we are looking for an up grade on the second line....who is being replaced? Maybe a 2nd line RW......maybe?????

20 hours ago, babalu said:

MDZ and Gagner will be the most tradeable assets, and probably the ones most of us prefer to see moved anyway, if just to clear roster space for the kids.  Hutton and Pouliot likely have limited value, especially Hutton with his contract even if we retain because he would be costly to qualify next year.

C'mon Bowman -- you know you need these guys to fill out your roster.  If not, we should still be able to find takers out there, retaining if need be.

3 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

here is the thing...……...think long term on this

LW  (6)                                                             Center  (6)                                     RW (4)

Baertschi/Pettersson                         Pettersson/Horvat/2019 1st                      Boeser

Baertschi/Goldobin/Dahlen                              Horvat                               2019 1st/Lind/Virtanen

Leipsic/Dahlen/Goldobin/Gadjovich                Gaudette                                    Lind/Virtanen

Gadjovich                                             Motte/MacEwen/Maden                        Lockwood

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Roussel                                                          Schaller                                         Beagle...………………………...all 4 years

So if we are looking for an up grade on the second line....who is being replaced? Maybe a 2nd line RW......maybe?????

Yeah, I agree. However at this point we don't have a 2nd line centre besides Sutter who is proven on faceoffs. Pettersson was 40% on draws in the SHL last year. Hopefully he can improve on his faceoffs (maybe Malhotra can help him) and be our number one centre for many years to come. Very excited to see him in the NHL next year. His skill is off the charts. Maybe we can bring someone in who can slide to wing when Pettersson is ready? Thinking of a short term stop gap with skill until we have more of our youth movement ready.

This could be a year where management makes deals for picks and maybe picking up the odd bad contract and retaining salary.

The team should target the 2020 draft, that 15/16 year old kid will be there.

Sutter's NTC starts in Sept 2019 so he could be available and get more than just one pick unless it is a #1

Edler might be open to being traded especially if the team works with him to find a destination he likes, maybe allow his agent to shop him for the next contract.

Tanev, well he comes up often and again, maybe get a 2020 #1 pick.

Gudbranson, his name doesn't come up often but there may be a team gearing up for the playoffs, salary retention to improve a draft pick.

Gagner, won't get a lot back, he was out of the league 2 years ago before he signed a tryout with Columbus and they let him go at the end of that season.

There are many mid level players that might get later round picks players like Sven, Granlund, Goldoblin, Leipsic or Motte

Who knows, maybe Roussel or Beagle don't like the "heat" here, they might garner a top pick if packaged and retained.

Then there are the prospects that are aging out or management has decided against retaining, some of them might return surprising picks if packaged.

Archived