The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Stan Mikita passes away at age 78

Rate this topic

On 8/8/2018 at 1:08 PM, Ghostsof1915 said:

All Star Wrestling at BCTV?

Where I grew up we got our TV feed from AB, so we had the pleasure of "Stampede Wrestling".  Abdullah the Butcher, I named one of our roosters after him, seemed to have a similar personality.  When I was still young enough not to understand how fake it was, I used up some of my calf sale money to buy tickets for my Dad and I when the traveling Stampede Wrestling show came to  town.  I was terrified when they came out of the ring and started throwing the front row chairs at each other.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-08-07 at 7:56 PM, sonoman said:

RIP Stan.  You were always entertaining to watch on the little 12”? Black and white TV in the rumpus room growing up in the 60’s

13AC0968-C44F-4E52-BC63-BDD79C248115.jpeg

Did you get two or three channels, one (CBC) came in pretty good, like a bad VCR tape that constantly needed tuning, the other half snow but decent volume, the third all snow but some volume with added tinfoil and your little brother (or sister) holding it just right the entire time?   Ours was 20inch but add ten years (late seventies when we got it, didn't have one when very young) and colour on one channel.   At least Intellevision  worked crystal clear, all 200pixels of it. 

My kids had to "suffer" through some tube TVs (but still gigantic by those standards) watching Dora when younger, now as teenagers get exactly what you said...and everyone gets  a phone because everyone in their class had one by the time they were in grade five (we are so mean to make them wait until they are/we're fourteen right?).   We grew up with 7-9 of us with a single line wall mounted rotary phone, it was just fine too.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Did you get two or three channels, one (CBC) came in pretty good, like a bad VCR tape that constantly needed tuning, the other half snow but decent volume, the third all snow but some volume with added tinfoil and your little brother (or sister) holding it just right the entire time?   Ours was 20inch but add ten years (late seventies when we got it, didn't have one when very young) and colour on one channel.   At least Intellevision  worked crystal clear, all 200pixels of it. 

My kids had to "suffer" through some tube TVs (but still gigantic by those standards) watching Dora when younger, now as teenagers get exactly what you said...and everyone gets  a phone because everyone in their class had one by the time they were in grade five (we are so mean to make them wait until they are/we're fourteen right?).   We grew up with 7-9 of us with a single line wall mounted rotary phone, it was just fine too.

Growing up in Saanich, we actually got about 6-7 channels.  CHEK, CBUT(CBC), CHAN precursor to BCTV, couple out of Bellingham KVOS and KSTW?.  You could also pick up Seattle stations for the most part.  Cable came to Victoria in early 60’s but we didn’t get cable until 1968 or 69.  This was with a roof antenna.  What do kids know though :o? We thought it was pretty good at the time :).  I was probably underestimating size of tv screen though, probably more like 19”, have memories of Orr and all the other greats from the original 6 

Edited by sonoman
Additional
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, sonoman said:

Growing up in Saanich, we actually got about 6-7 channels.  CHEK, CBUT(CBC), CHAN precursor to BCTV, couple out of Bellingham KVOS and KSTW?.  You could also pick up Seattle stations for the most part.  Cable came to Victoria in early 60’s but we didn’t get cable until 1968 or 69.  This was with a roof antenna.  What do kids know though :o? We thought it was pretty good at the time :).  I was probably underestimating size of tv screen though, probably more like 19”, have memories of Orr and all the other greats from the original 6 

I moved to Victoria at five from the Kootenays (both east and west) and grew up next to the 18th hole by the Cedar Hill golf course in Saanich too.  We never had cable but did have two channels, one from the states so we could watch A-Team, night rider etc and Mom some soaps, the other CBC..and of course Saturday morning cartoons.  Twenty inch screen which seemed ok at the time.   Spent the summers at grand parents in Castlegar where I'm from (and went to high school later) and they had the one tone furniture full colour TV with cable which was always a treat (although screen time was maybe an hour and not every day which seemed fine too).   Times have sure changed, but hockey with HD and a big screen is definitely great!

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

I moved to Victoria at five from the Kootenays (both east and west) and grew up next to the 18th hole by the Cedar Hill golf course in Saanich too.  We never had cable but did have two channels, one from the states so we could watch A-Team, night rider etc and Mom some soaps, the other CBC..and of course Saturday morning cartoons.  Twenty inch screen which seemed ok at the time.   Spent the summers at grand parents in Castlegar where I'm from (and went to high school later) and they had the one tone furniture full colour TV with cable which was always a treat (although screen time was maybe an hour and not every day which seemed fine too).   Times have sure changed, but hockey with HD and a big screen is definitely great!

Surprised you couldn’t get CHEK or BCTV at the very least.  Fond memories of golfing Cedar Hill.  Good friend from school I think was the pro there for some time, David Gerard.  My brother worked as a greens keeper at Mt Doug for a while in the late 70’s.  Lived up high Quadra area where Beckwith park is now.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, sonoman said:

Surprised you couldn’t get CHEK or BCTV at the very least.  Fond memories of golfing Cedar Hill.  Good friend from school I think was the pro there for some time, David Gerard.  My brother worked as a greens keeper at Mt Doug for a while in the late 70’s.  Lived up high Quadra area where Beckwith park is now.

Maybe we got those too but we only had two channels that were visible enough to enjoy, a couple half snow with volume which we would watch if desperate.  I believe we got cable when I was older but by then didn't really watch anything but movies from the video store (many years of renting vcr's until we finally got one, which felt like winning the lottery as at the same time we also got a microwave).   Lots of friends went to Mt.Doug, went to Cedar Hill jr high which was a little like dazed and confused, then off to Castlegar which was almost exactly like it....kids these days don't have a clue what it's like without computer and the internet ha ha.  Some fun lost but maybe for the better. 

Golf clubs for twelfth b-day, then countless nights sneaking on to do the bottom nine.  If u remember one year 4 hectares of grass burnt down late August by the rec center, that was me and my brother one friend blowing up  wasp nests and otherwise acting like fools near their equipment shed at hole 17...was black for a couple months.  We used to climb the tennis bubble at night too and bring a ghetto blaster and enjoy the view until the police would come, which we could see a mile off as they were too stupid not to use their flashlights, slide down and make our get away.   Good times for sure! (We called it bubble hopping) and one Saturday we helped a wedding party climb the fence and get up there, bride and groom and all, then disappeared into the crowd when half the Saanich police came to get them down.

• Cheers 1

On ‎2018‎-‎08‎-‎08 at 10:34 AM, redhdlois said:

Or midget wrestling and Ron Morrier...........

Did Juliette follow HNIC ?  Can't remember....

after hnic    here  it was the avengers   "Ms peel were needed"   emma peel :wub::P              NHL sticker book - esso power play stamps I still have my soft cover , couldn't afford the hard copy with story lines.....

3fd7bd2d91bff2196dd5194844697355--avengers-poster-the-avengers.jpg

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, chon derry said:

after hnic    here  it was the avengers   "Ms peel were needed"   emma peel :wub::P              NHL sticker book - esso power play stamps I still have my soft cover , couldn't afford the hard copy with story lines.....

3fd7bd2d91bff2196dd5194844697355--avengers-poster-the-avengers.jpg

My 60’s trifecta Bardot, Deneuve, and Mrs. Peel B) 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 year later...

Stan Mikita’s brain has tested positive for chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) and Lewy Body dementia, Dr. Ann McKee announced.

Mikita was diagnosed with LBD in 2015 and had no memory of his former life until his passing in 2018.

Dr. McKee is the director of the BU CTE Center, VA-BU-CLF Brain Bank, and chief of neuropathology for the VA Boston Healthcare System.

• Thanks 1

On 8/8/2018 at 1:13 PM, redhdlois said:

lol Yes, I remember the tiger tails.....I also seem to recall some sort of 'pull tabs'....maybe that's how you won a tail ?

I also remember the NHL sticker book.

Awwww....the good  ole days !

Still have unopened full sets of the stickers, coins, medallions, etc.  My dream was always to set my son up with a super cool "sports cave" with all the memorabilia I've collected and stashed away for him.  Or even, he could start his own Collector's Den shop (my brother was a card collector who did it as a side business).  But it's still here, packed away in 4-5 suitcases.

Every once in awhile when I get nostalgic, I pull a suitcase down and rummage through...usually get lost for hours.   Some very cool stuff/memories.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Stan Mikita’s brain has tested positive for chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) and Lewy Body dementia, Dr. Ann McKee announced.

Mikita was diagnosed with LBD in 2015 and had no memory of his former life until his passing in 2018.

Dr. McKee is the director of the BU CTE Center, VA-BU-CLF Brain Bank, and chief of neuropathology for the VA Boston Healthcare System.

That's so absolutely tragic and sad.   :(    

I'm glad that sports teams recognize the health issues related to head trauma and, at least slowly, are starting to address them.  

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Still have unopened full sets of the stickers, coins, medallions, etc.  My dream was always to set my son up with a super cool "sports cave" with all the memorabilia I've collected and stashed away for him.  Or even, he could start his own Collector's Den shop (my brother was a card collector who did it as a side business).  But it's still here, packed away in 4-5 suitcases.

Every once in awhile when I get nostalgic, I pull a suitcase down and rummage through...usually get lost for hours.   Some very cool stuff/memories.

Very cool!  If only I kept some things from back then....I’d be rich today! Lol

I kept several Canuck programs from the 70’s.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, redhdlois said:

Very cool!  If only I kept some things from back then....I’d be rich today! Lol

I kept several Canuck programs from the 70’s.

One day I'll photograph/share some.  I always get lost in it, so it's usually a matter of a rainy day with nothing else going on.

I treasure it - when my son was young some of our memories are tied into the excitement of acquiring this stuff together.  Tied to the heartstrings.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

One day I'll photograph/share some.  I always get lost in it, so it's usually a matter of a rainy day with nothing else going on.

I treasure it - when my son was young some of our memories are tied into the excitement of acquiring this stuff together.  Tied to the heartstrings.

Just mentioning all this makes me want to haul stuff out and reminisce.

My friend and I used to go to games (both Canuck and Blazer) games together on the ‘hockey bus’....we reminisce regularly about those days....I love it.  

• Like 1

Me too, Lois.  Mom's birthday just passed and the tennis, hockey, everything right now reminds me of her.

Some of the stuff in those suitcases she gave us.  It's really a trip down memory lane and connections to our past.  This hockey deal's huge, isn't it???  ;)

• Like 1

On 8/7/2018 at 1:27 PM, Rick Blight said:

In his early days he was one of the dirtiest players in the NHL as he established his place in the league......you would not, in your wildest imagination, ever predict that he would go on to win 2 Lady Byng trophies. 

Yeah he was the original Brad Marchand.  But he reformed.  I think he's the only guy with a Lady Byng trophy AND a 100+ PIM season (obviously not in the same year lol) on his resume.

RIP Legend.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1

On 8/7/2018 at 5:13 PM, johngould21 said:

He had to because of his size, I think. However, I do recall him saying, you can't produce in the penalty box.

He stopped playing that way because of his daughter asking him why uncle  Bobby would go back to be with his teammates and he’d have to go sit by himself (in the penalty box).   It’s kind of legendary lore - why he stopped playing like Lindsay or mean.   He was good enough to stop playing with a mean streak and dominate the league (against some pretty stiff competition that are also in the HHOF).  It had nothing to do wth his size - that’s just how he played - and everything to do with that one comment.  It completely changed how he played and he had his best years after that.  Yes he was a mean sob before - but he was so good he could play it either way.

RIP - a total legend - not that far from Richard and Howe.  And taken from us way too young ...

Edited by IBatch