The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Button says Leafs should consider getting Edler

On 12/28/2018 at 12:25 PM, spook007 said:

Hmmm maybe don’t think so, but I think Combover meant, that once Edler has signed he will be the Edler that doesn’t hit or battle as hard as he does now, thus we’re better off getting something for him, while he is hot. 

Am I close?

Yup, that’s it and with a protection of a full nmc again.

your right im sure most guys elevate there game during a contract yeah, but some players are just contract year players others are not. 

Most couldn’t wait for edler s contract to end over the last 4years why would anyone think he’s going to play like this for the next 3 or 4 when he hasn’t since his last contract year.

I’m not and haven’t been an edler hater but it’s  time to move on. Hopefully he’d consider waiving if not then offer a 1 year take it or leave it deal see how bad he really wants to stay in Vancouver. Or good luck thank you and goodbye. 

3 minutes ago, combover said:

Yup, that’s it and with a protection of a full nmc again.

your right im sure most guys elevate there game during a contract yeah, but some players are just contract year players others are not. 

Most couldn’t wait for edler s contract to end over the last 4years why would anyone think he’s going to play like this for the next 3 or 4 when he hasn’t since his last contract year.

I’m not and haven’t been an edler hater but it’s  time to move on. Hopefully he’d consider waiving if not then offer a 1 year take it or leave it deal see how bad he really wants to stay in Vancouver. Or good luck thank you and goodbye. 

You are right in saying 3 years ago there were no love lost towards Edler, and the queue of fans ready to drive him to the airport were long and distinguished, so I totally get, what you are saying.

My only concern in letting Edler go is we don’t get a proper replacement. As much as Hutton has impressed this season, I’m not sure he can replace Edler as our top D man long term. I may be wrong though as Hutton has come leaps and bounds this season. 

I would like to sign Edler for 1-2 year contract, and not really worried about the numbers, as long as he can be let go in max 2 years if his performances drop ( rather 2x6 than 3x4). Doubt he will do that though, time will tell. And then we have the scenario keep longer or let go. 

1 hour ago, spook007 said:

You are right in saying 3 years ago there were no love lost towards Edler, and the queue of fans ready to drive him to the airport were long and distinguished, so I totally get, what you are saying.

My only concern in letting Edler go is we don’t get a proper replacement. As much as Hutton has impressed this season, I’m not sure he can replace Edler as our top D man long term. I may be wrong though as Hutton has come leaps and bounds this season. 

I would like to sign Edler for 1-2 year contract, and not really worried about the numbers, as long as he can be let go in max 2 years if his performances drop ( rather 2x6 than 3x4). Doubt he will do that though, time will tell. And then we have the scenario keep longer or let go. 

I agree. Ideally he's signed for another year or two to insulate Hughes/Juolevi as they adjust to the big show. As much as I'm gunning for Sautner/McEneny/Brisebois to solidify a spot in the top 6, and as much as Hutton has impressed lately, the risks of moving on without Edler outweigh the benefits save for a mind blowing deal he'd waive to (Say Kapanen/johnsson, Lilegren, 1st)

6 hours ago, spook007 said:

True but same was said about the sedins leaving and where are the points going to come from. Sometimes taking the shelter away makes other rise up. 

Archived