The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Pettersson and Boeser chemistry, and 2 moves we can make this summer to help us contend next season

On 4/14/2019 at 5:58 AM, iinatcc said:

The rebuild is far from done. I was listening to Botchford and he did make some points how The Canucks need to execute the off season perfectly and he does have a point.

He highlighted that the team around Horvat, Boeser, Hughes, and Petterson are just not good enough and there are too many similar bottom 6 grinders in the team.

I agree. We've got great 1C and 2C now, which is awesome. We've also got some good defense prospects coming up. But as you said, our bottom 6 are basically all grinder plugs. We're going to need a solid 3rd line center, and another elite winger to play with Horvat. We also probably need another top pairing Dman, as I'm not really sold on Juolevi.

We've still got some huge pieces we need to acquire...

2 hours ago, Matt_T83 said:

I agree. We've got great 1C and 2C now, which is awesome. We've also got some good defense prospects coming up. But as you said, our bottom 6 are basically all grinder plugs. We're going to need a solid 3rd line center GAUDETTE, and another elite winger to play with Horvat COULD ALREADY HAVE HIM. We also probably need another top pairing Dman TRYAMKIN, WOO, as I'm not really sold on Juolevi.

We've still got some huge pieces we need to acquire...

Fixed, and Juolevi is like a more offensively gifted Tanev IMO. He's not going to WOW you like Hughes, but he will be a solid top 4 someday

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Pettersson and Boeser chemistry, and 2 moves we can make this summer to help us contend next season
On 4/15/2019 at 6:59 AM, appleboy said:
OSTER

LONG-TERM OUTLOOK

EMBED

TEXT-EMBED

ROSTER SIZE SALARY CAP CAP HIT OVERAGES q2.svg BONUSES CAP SPACE
23 $79,500,000 $76,163,332 $0 $6,000,000 $3,336,668
Left Wing Center Right Wing
VAN
Pearson, Tanner
$3,750,000
LW
UFA - 2
VAN
Horvat, Bo
$5,500,000
C
UFA - 4
VAN
Eriksson, Loui
$6,000,000
LW, RW
NTC
UFA - 3
VAN
Leivo, Josh
$2,200,000
LW
RFA
VAN
Pettersson, Elias
$925,000
C, LW
RFA - 2
VAN
Boeser, Brock
$6,200,000
RW
RFA
VAN
Roussel, Antoine
$3,000,000
LW
NTC
UFA - 3
Nelson, Brock
$4,700,000
C, LW
UFA
VAN
Virtanen, Jake
$1,250,000
RW
RFA - 1
Skinner, Jeff
$6,000,000
LW, RW
UFA
VAN
Beagle, Jay
$3,000,000
C
NTC
UFA - 3
Ferland, Micheal
$3,500,000
LW, RW
UFA

VAN
Gaudette, Adam
$916,666
C
RFA - 1

Left Defense Right Defense Goaltender
VAN
Hughes, Quintin
$916,666
LD
RFA - 2
VAN
Stecher, Troy
$2,325,000
RD
RFA - 1
VAN
Markström, Jacob
$3,666,667
G
UFA - 1
VAN
Hutton, Ben
$3,200,000
LD
RFA
VAN
Rafferty, Brogan
$925,000
RD
RFA
VAN
Demko, Thatcher
$1,200,000
G
RFA
VAN
Edler, Alexander
$5,500,000
LD
UFA
VAN
Schenn, Luke
$1,000,000
RD
UFA

VAN
Juolevi, Olli
$863,333
LD
RFA - 2
Karlsson, Erik
$8,000,000
RD
UFA

So Skinner has a career year and gets a $275,000 AAV raise, Nelson has a career year and gets a $475,000 AAV raise, Karlsson is the top UFA available and gets a $1.5m AAV raise, Ferland has basically the same year he had last season and gets a $1.25M AAV raise...yeah...I guess you REALLY like Ferland or are just joking about signing the other 3 because your #'s are way off...Oh and if Boeser signs for an AAV of $6.2m he needs to fire his agent.

Aggressively go after Brock Nelson (if he makes ufa)- 53 points, plays all three zones with great effectiveness, has plenty of grit and size. At 26, he's a younger ufa.  I see him as a great fit with Bo Horvat, who really needs high-end wingers to work with.

Look to gain a second first rounder in 2020. Having two first rounders in 2020 allows us to go after pending rfa Jacob Trouba (assuming he makes it). Having two first rounders next year affords us the ability to go to the area where Winnipeg may be reluctant to match. Trouba is another gritty player that also excels in all three zones. I see him as a great fit with Quinn Hughes. His high-end defensive play would allow Quinn to work his magic with the puck with the confidence of having Jacob there to cover for mistakes. He's also a willing pugilist if somebody wants to take liberty's with our young stars.

Achieving these two signings would greatly improve our team and puts us in the playoffs next year.

15 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

Aggressively go after Brock Nelson (if he makes ufa)- 53 points, plays all three zones with great effectiveness, has plenty of grit and size. At 26, he's a younger ufa.  I see him as a great fit with Bo Horvat, who really needs high-end wingers to work with.

Look to gain a second first rounder in 2020. Having two first rounders in 2020 allows us to go after pending rfa Jacob Trouba (assuming he makes it). Having two first rounders next year affords us the ability to go to the area where Winnipeg may be reluctant to match. Trouba is another gritty player that also excels in all three zones. I see him as a great fit with Quinn Hughes. His high-end defensive play would allow Quinn to work his magic with the puck with the confidence of having Jacob there to cover for mistakes. He's also a willing pugilist if somebody wants to take liberty's with our young stars.

Achieving these two signings would greatly improve our team and puts us in the playoffs next year.

You don’t need a second 1st round pick to do an offer sheet. If the compensation for the offer sheet is two 1st. They are both Vancouvers own picks in consecutive drafts.  

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

You don’t need a second 1st round pick to do an offer sheet. If the compensation for the offer sheet is two 1st. They are both Vancouvers own picks in consecutive drafts.  

Yes, but the draft is still very important to our team. Having a second first rounder still gives us one for 2020. Therefore, we really only lose one.

Anybody other than Petey, Horvat, Boeser, and Hughes would be available.

I would also table any non-first/second round picks in a deal.

Archived