The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The DumbBrexit / #Wexit thread

JM_

58 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yes, Canada is really fortunate to have such strong leadership with JT as our PM. 

I wonder if he we win 4 elections in a row like his dad did ( Pierre was top CDN PM of all time ) . 

PET did not win 4 in a row.

You call JT such a strong leader but reality tells a different story. Also your biggest issue was TMX which Trudeau approved so basically you find him so attractive that he can go against your major issues and you still vote for him.lol

16 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

PET did not win 4 in a row.

You call JT such a strong leader but reality tells a different story. Also your biggest issue was TMX which Trudeau approved so basically you find him so attractive that he can go against your major issues and you still vote for him.lol

its sweet that you're counting Joe Clark. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'd like to see her take over, she's a smart capable person. Trudeau has his heart in the right place, but I don't think anyone really ever saw him as anything other than a populist choice to get rid of Harper, and no one thinks he's generating policy. Freehand on the other hand took on Lightheizer and came away with a good deal for Canada. 

She got what the Americans were willing to give. GM shutters another plant and Ontario craps their pants. You have to know that 2400 lost jobs in Ontario is far worse than 140,000 lost in AB. But I digress. While I cannot agree with government taking a bigger share of GDP each year I think I have to give some cred to the Liebels for funding some of these innovation centers. I say think because I don't know the details. I was reading about Equisheres Inc and Zinc 8 Energy Solutions who have both received seed money from the feds. Battery storage and 3 D metal printer tech. 

How does Canada chart an independent industrial strategy away from the USA? It is a national security issue and the failure to date makes me label Canada as a banana monarchy. It is why I consider the export of AB energy a national security issue. The income from that energy could fund a more independent approach. IMHO Harper was headed in that direction and was snuffed. Resources are finite and that wealth has to be used to secure the country's future if Canada wants to stay independent.

3 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

its sweet that you're counting Joe Clark. 

Sweet or not it wasn't 4 straight wins plus one was a minority. In 1980 he won 2 seats west of Ontario and no seats west of Manitoba. Hardly as popular as kos makes him out to be but he uses a specific article to justify the claim. I can find you countless articles saying how terrible he was, but it's easier to blame Mulroney amirite?

Edited by Ryan Strome

2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

She got what the Americans were willing to give. GM shutters another plant and Ontario craps their pants. You have to know that 2400 lost jobs in Ontario is far worse than 140,000 lost in AB. But I digress. While I cannot agree with government taking a bigger share of GDP each year I think I have to give some cred to the Liebels for funding some of these innovation centers. I say think because I don't know the details. I was reading about Equisheres Inc and Zinc 8 Energy Solutions who have both received seed money from the feds. Battery storage and 3 D metal printer tech. 

How does Canada chart an independent industrial strategy away from the USA? It is a national security issue and the failure to date makes me label Canada as a banana monarchy. It is why I consider the export of AB energy a national security issue. The income from that energy could fund a more independent approach. IMHO Harper was headed in that direction and was snuffed. Resources are finite and that wealth has to be used to secure the country's future if Canada wants to stay independent.

I don't think you're giving the Canadian trade team much credit B, they did a hell of a good job campaigning directly with governors, senators and congress directly impacted by trade with Canada. Freeland led that charge and dealt with Lightheizer 1 on 1 many times. Credit where its due man.

We can never be independent of the US, that ship sailed many years ago. Best we can do is diversity our resources to smaller emerging economies and other middle powers in the EU, which should be possible. 

1 hour ago, Ryan Strome said:

Sweet or not it was 4 straight wins plus one was a minority. In 1980 he won 2 seats west of Ontario and no seats west of Manitoba. Hardly as popular as kos makes him out to be but he uses a specific article to justify the claim. I can find you countless articles saying how terrible he was, but it's easier to blame Mulroney amirite?

hands off Bri. 

Edited by Jimmy McGill
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

Sweet or not it wasn't 4 straight wins plus one was a minority. In 1980 he won 2 seats west of Ontario and no seats west of Manitoba. Hardly as popular as kos makes him out to be but he uses a specific article to justify the claim. I can find you countless articles saying how terrible he was, but it's easier to blame Mulroney amirite?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_prime_ministers_of_Canada

Pierre rated #4 All time top Canadian Prime ministers...

JT is rated #10 all time top Canadand PM's

Such an amazing family.  Do you consider PIerrre the father of modern day Canada ? 

PS - i thought about moving back home to Alberta... but sadly i don't like chewing tobacco so i would probably not fit in. 

Edited by kingofsurrey

6 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Like hands off that bag of money?

I think it was an envelope, but I see your point. 

But.. since you brought it up, I can't help but point out he had the balls to transform the Canadian economy and was the last PM we had with actual international influence. 

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historical_rankings_of_prime_ministers_of_Canada

Pierre rated #4 All time top Canadian Prime ministers...

JT is rated #10 all time top Canadand PM's

Such an amazing family.  Do you consider PIerrre the father of modern day Canada ? 

PS - i thought about moving back home to Alberta... but sadly i don't like chewing tobacco so i would probably not fit in. 

Can't anyone edit a wikipedia page?

You sure are quiet about TMX.. you said it was your biggest issue and still voted JT. You really do like his appearance, hey?

Absolutely not the father of modern day Canada. 

I guess if I gave that title to anyone it would be Lester Pearson but I'm positive he would be furious with all this debt.

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I think it was an envelope, but I see your point. 

But.. since you brought it up, I can't help but point out he had the balls to transform the Canadian economy and was the last PM we had with actual international influence. 

I don't disagree but all people think of is gst. Many think there wasn't a tax before that.:lol:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Ryan Strome said:

Can't anyone edit a wikipedia page?

You sure are quiet about TMX.. you said it was your biggest issue and still voted JT. You really do like his appearance, hey?

Absolutely not the father of modern day Canada. 

I guess if I gave that title to anyone it would be Lester Pearson but I'm positive he would be furious with all this debt.

Wow you are in denial

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/ranking-canadas-best-and-worst-prime-ministers/

Has Pierre again at all time 4th best Canadian PM long term.

Justin - is at # 1 . for short term Canadian PM's.

What an amazing family... I am sure most Canadians would agree that Pierre is the father of modern day Canada.      Justin is following right in Pierre's footsteps and i can easily see Justin serving . 4 terms as PM....

2 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I don't disagree but all people think of is gst. Many think there wasn't a tax before that.:lol:

yeah i know :picard: :sadno: 

But thats exactly why I still hold old Bri in some regard, he was up against that kind of thinking, ran on the right plan, and won. You just don't see that anymore, and we really need it. 

2 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Wow you are in denial

https://www.macleans.ca/politics/ottawa/ranking-canadas-best-and-worst-prime-ministers/

Has Pierre again at all time 4th best Canadian PM long term.

Justin - is at # 1 . for short term Canadian PM's.

What an amazing family... I am sure most Canadians would agree that Pierre is the father of modern day Canada.      Justin is following right in Pierre's footsteps and i can easily see Justin serving . 4 terms as PM....

Lol should I post the articles how terrible they are?

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Lol should I post the articles how terrible they are?

Yes, clearly you are in denial.

No wonder why you want to rip up your Canadian passport / citizenship.   You fail to understand how the majority of Canadians feel about our great country and our great history.  

Have you ever even visited Quebec....    how about rural quebec.... Haver you ever been to Chicoutimi  or the eastern townships ?  Do you feel you have any background to even understand french Quebecers relationship with english canadians.. ????

21 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Yes, clearly you are in denial.

No wonder why you want to rip up your Canadian passport / citizenship.   You fail to understand how the majority of Canadians feel about our great country and our great history.  

Have you ever even visited Quebec....    how about rural quebec.... Haver you ever been to Chicoutimi  or the eastern townships ?  Do you feel you have any background to even understand french Quebecers relationship with english canadians.. ????

you should organize a trip for Albertans to visit Quebec daycares, so they can see where their money is going. 

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you should organize a trip for Albertans to visit Quebec daycares, so they can see where their money is going. 

Investing in quality affordable daycares saves all us money in the long run.   Spending money on our children is the best investment we can make....

Quebec is so far ahead of the rest of Canada in so many areas.....

Just now, kingofsurrey said:

Investing in quality affordable daycares saves all us money in the long run.   Spending money on our children is the best investment we can make....

Quebec is so far ahead of the rest of Canada in so many areas.....

i was making an equalization joke, but yes thats all true.