The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Canucks and NYR

On 11/23/2019 at 6:51 AM, Baer. said:

Why would anybody trade for a player who is constantly injured? Juolevi has next to no trade value right now.

It’s called a second chance and new place to start over and lots of other teams trade for prospects that have been oft injured or stuck behind other high end prospects. 

On 11/24/2019 at 4:46 PM, coastal.view said:

i thought rangers spent a bundle on panarin during the off season

and you want them to tank and trade off talent for a veteran and some not yet ready talent

they have a real shot at the playoffs presently

i doubt that would be the case if this trade were adopted

anytime anyone proposes nucks get 1 player

but ship off multiples

please give your head a shake

and explain in much greater detail why the rangers (or the other team) does a trade of this sort

and make your explanation much longer then why this trade would work for the canucks

example

nucks get jt miller from tampa

in exchamge for 2 draft picks

cuz

tampa is against the cap and have to move someone

they preferred to move someone else

but would not get a 1st rounder in return

so they settled for the nucks offer

because their priority really was to get point resigned

nucks do the deal cuz they need that quality of player now

so the picks are expendable.

if you cannot follow this simple formula

then just say that you are a homer in all trades

and of course nucks are gonna always hose the other team

cuz all other gms are just stupid

Kreider has been dangled by the Rangers for last 2 trade deadlines and this year would be no different as the Rangers aren’t going to make the playoffs. I really don’t care about your formula because Canucks should not be trading draft picks left and right as you can see by Benning and his scouts know what they are doing in the draft and should instead be trading prospects that they have a glut in certain positions or college player that are not going to sign with the Canucks. The Canucks need to make some room in Utica for Jett Woo and the other prospects coming next year.

Are you serious about the Homer talk? 
This is a Canucks forum for armchair GMing for Canuck fans, so everyone is a homer on here,  even you are otherwise why would you be on a Canucks forum for Canucks fans?

On 11/23/2019 at 7:09 AM, qwijibo said:

So you take every decent prospect off the table and expect to get a top 6 NHL’er in return? 

That’s not even close to every decent prospect, just the ones the Canuck brass are high on and ones they need for the future. The Canucks have a lot of prospects playing in Utica and they need to make room for more coming next year 

23 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

He’s not a bust yet, just injured all the time so he gets an incomplete grade.

Maybe not a bust. But with all the injuries he’s venturing into that territory.  He’s hurt again and not with Utica. And not even team officials know what’s going on with him. 

An update on Juolevi

Just over a week ago, the Canucks announced that Olli Juolevi was leaving Utica and would fly to Vancouver to get checked out by the Canucks’ doctors about a lower body injury.

There’s still no word on what’s wrong.

“I was hoping to get details last week, but it is taking a little longer,” said his agent, Markus Lehto. “We hope to find out in the next few days.”

The Canucks have done a good job of respecting Juolevi’s privacy. Whether it’s a hockey injury or a non-hockey-related problem, the focus should be on Juolevi’s wellbeing.

Edited by qwijibo

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

Maybe not a bust. But with all the injuries he’s venturing into that territory.  He’s hurt again DVD not with Utica. And not even team officials know what’s going on with him. 

An update on Juolevi

Just over a week ago, the Canucks announced that Olli Juolevi was leaving Utica and would fly to Vancouver to get checked out by the Canucks’ doctors about a lower body injury.

There’s still no word on what’s wrong.

“I was hoping to get details last week, but it is taking a little longer,” said his agent, Markus Lehto. “We hope to find out in the next few days.”

The Canucks have done a good job of respecting Juolevi’s privacy. Whether it’s a hockey injury or a non-hockey-related problem, the focus should be on Juolevi’s wellbeing.

So this means the Canucks need to trade him, they probably should have traded him at the draft. There are lots of teams that would take a flyer on a top 5 pick defenceman that has been injured often but when he has played in Utica has shown why he was taken 5th overall so unless it’s a career ending injury I can’t see that many teams saying no. 

• Haha 1

Just now, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

So this means the Canucks need to trade him, they probably should have traded him at the draft. There are lots of teams that would take a flyer on a top 5 pick defenceman that has been injured often but when he has played in Utica has shown why he was taken 5th overall so unless it’s a career ending injury I can’t see that many teams saying no. 

No one is going to give anything of value for him.  He’s a reclamation project at best right now. And until he gets a clean bill of health he has negative value 

6 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

If you read my post you would understand that there is only 500k difference in cap hit between Kreider and Sutter  

I read it   we need to keep developing prospect in Utica, not trade them away  ,  we have other problem to deal with  ie loui and baer before we even think about doing  that kinda of trade 

33 minutes ago, the grinder said:

I read it   we need to keep developing prospect in Utica, not trade them away  ,  we have other problem to deal with  ie loui and baer before we even think about doing  that kinda of trade 

We have lots of prospects and a few high end prospects as TSN just ranked the Canucks 4th overall in players under 24 in their system. They need to make room for Woo, Hoglander and Focht and that’s not including Rathbone, Lockwood or Madden so the Canucks have a lot of prospects even too many and need to use some as trade assets. Canucks highest priority is to get a 2nd line scoring winger to get into the playoffs because Leivo, Pearson, Virtanen are all 3rd line players and who knows when Ferland is coming back. Ericksson, Baertschi and Goldobin are untradeable during the season so there is no point trying to sell these ketchup popsicles to any ladies wearing white gloves. 

A1D46F1C-D82E-43DA-848C-29879821E6D9.jpeg

I agree that the Canucks need to target Krieder, however they're going to want Stecher and Pearson. I'm Ok with that because we get a legit power forward who will get 20-25 goals and be a physical presence. Just the type of player we need for the playoffs. It does leave a whole on the right side of our defence.

new look lines.

Kreider- Petersson- Boeser

Miller- Horvat- Virtanen

Ferland- Sutter- Gaudette

Rouselle- Beagle- Leivo

Edler- Myers

Hughes- Tanev

Benn- Fantanberg

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, captaincowbasher said:

I agree that the Canucks need to target Krieder, however they're going to want Stecher and Pearson. I'm Ok with that because we get a legit power forward who will get 20-25 goals and be a physical presence. Just the type of player we need for the playoffs. It does leave a whole on the right side of our defence.

new look lines.

Kreider- Petersson- Boeser

Miller- Horvat- Virtanen

Ferland- Sutter- Gaudette

Rouselle- Beagle- Leivo

Edler- Myers

Hughes- Tanev

Benn- Fantanberg

I don’t know if the NYR would want Pearson, I think in reality they would want Madden so he could play with Lemieux for the next 5-10 years and have a young,tough checking line that could score. They would probably take Focht or Lind with Stetcher but I would rather see if they could trade Sutter and make Gaudette the full time 3rd line centre. Seriously Canucks have so many prospects that can challenge to play in the NHL in the next 2-3 years that they should trade a few to make room for next years prospects. 

18 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:
17 hours ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

We have lots of prospects and a few high end prospects as TSN just ranked the Canucks 4th overall in players under 24 in their system. They need to make room for Woo, Hoglander and Focht and that’s not including Rathbone, Lockwood or Madden so the Canucks have a lot of prospects even too many and need to use some as trade assets. Canucks highest priority is to get a 2nd line scoring winger to get into the playoffs because Leivo, Pearson, Virtanen are all 3rd line players and who knows when Ferland is coming back. Ericksson, Baertschi and Goldobin are untradeable during the season so there is no point trying to sell these ketchup popsicles to any ladies wearing white gloves. 

A1D46F1C-D82E-43DA-848C-29879821E6D9.jpeg

your thinking now not later  whats wrong with seasoning prospects in Utica  instead of trading them  when we are going to need cheap talent in the next few years  , maybe juolevi will be that d man that we get  on a good value contract for 1.25 million  and contributes to the team  , we finally start building the pool  and you want to drain it  nice list  but 5 guys are already on the team .   I can see virt getting traded before they trade prospects 

57 minutes ago, the grinder said:

your thinking now not later  whats wrong with seasoning prospects in Utica  instead of trading them  when we are going to need cheap talent in the next few years  , maybe juolevi will be that d man that we get  on a good value contract for 1.25 million  and contributes to the team  , we finally start building the pool  and you want to drain it  nice list  but 5 guys are already on the team .   I can see virt getting traded before they trade prospects 

I’m clearly doing both, the Canucks can not get a scoring second line winger for any player on their roster alone that they are willing to trade. So it has to be draft picks or prospects and the Canucks have a lot of prospects and outside of Podkolzn, Rathbone, Madden, DiPietro and Hoglander the other prospects can be replaced in the draft easily and not all their prospects are going to be NHL players so you might as well trade a few while their value is high to get that scoring winger. NYR would want 2 prospects or 2 picks to go along with a player close in salary to Kreider. With the way Benning and his scouts draft players I would keep the mid level picks because those are the value picks that have cheaper rookie contracts then 1st and 2nd rounders. There seems to be a rift between Juolevi and Canucks brass because last year they were telling him to stop playing so much fortnite and now he is or was keeping the Canucks medical staff in the dark about his injury so he’s done with the Canucks as there seems to be a lack of trust between both sides and the Rangers still need to replace Pionk that they traded to the Jets. Trading two prospects is not even close to draining their prospect pool as they have over 10 prospects that will be in Utica next year and you need to make room for Hoglander and Jett Woo. 

15 minutes ago, IjustNEEDaTROYgamble said:

I’m clearly doing both, the Canucks can not get a scoring second line winger for any player on their roster alone that they are willing to trade. So it has to be draft picks or prospects and the Canucks have a lot of prospects and outside of Podkolzn, Rathbone, Madden, DiPietro and Hoglander the other prospects can be replaced in the draft easily and not all their prospects are going to be NHL players so you might as well trade a few while their value is high to get that scoring winger. NYR would want 2 prospects or 2 picks to go along with a player close in salary to Kreider. With the way Benning and his scouts draft players I would keep the mid level picks because those are the value picks that have cheaper rookie contracts then 1st and 2nd rounders. There seems to be a rift between Juolevi and Canucks brass because last year they were telling him to stop playing so much fortnite and now he is or was keeping the Canucks medical staff in the dark about his injury so he’s done with the Canucks as there seems to be a lack of trust between both sides and the Rangers still need to replace Pionk that they traded to the Jets. Trading two prospects is not even close to draining their prospect pool as they have over 10 prospects that will be in Utica next year and you need to make room for Hoglander and Jett Woo. 

That’s the thing. Every organization already has the level of prospects you’re suggesting trading.  The Canucks aren’t getting a top 6 player by giving up a selection of b/c prospects.  As you said. They’re easily replaceable, which means they’re easily obtained and gave zero value.  Juolevi is out again with a mystery ailment. So he has no value either.  

Kreider would be a nice fit in our top 6. Main concerns are cost of assets to acquire him this season and cost of his UFA salary to keep him next season.

Also we would need to send (e.g.) Pearson to NYR in order to clear enough cap space for this season.

Additionally, if we are looking at resigning Markstrom, we need to offload Baer's contract too. I am assuming JB will struggle to offload Eriksson. Maybe something like:

To OTT: Baer, 2020 3rd

To VAN: 2020 4th

2020/21 roster:

Kreider Pettersson Boeser

Miller Horvat Virtanen

Roussel Gaudette Ferland

Motte Beagle Sutter

Eriksson

Edler Myers

Hughes Tanev

Benn Stecher/Tryamkin

Juolevi