The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Signing Tanev and Markstrom to 1 year contracts (discussion)

markstrom is in the driver seat. he wants a contract that protects him against not being exposed in the seattle draft but also gives him security to stay in one place. 

there is the dilemma. do you trade demko or risk losing him for nothing. seems like the canucks are between a rock and hard place. 

will the nhl, still allow side deals with seattle to not take one of our goalies? 

Edited by smithers joe

On 1/21/2020 at 6:41 PM, janisahockeynut said:

This discussion might get shut down quickly, but I am wondering if the Canucks can sign Chris Tanev and Jacob Markstrom to team friendly 1 year contracts, then during the Seattle Expansion draft, they would be deemed UFA's and technically not eligible for the Expansion draft, while the Canucks and any other team could negotiate with them.

Now, there is risk with this suggestion, and Tanev and Markstrom could sign with anyone, but if both Tanev and Marky want to play here, this protects Demko, and allows us to resign Markstrom later in the summer, as well as protecting 1 more defenseman if needed.

Yes, it is circumvention, but was there any contracts done like this during the Vegas expansion draft?

I think, because the Canucks run the risk of loosing both for nothing, the NHL can not rule against them...……...

Yes, I am always scheming...…..but does this fly?

Neither player will sign a one year deal Jan.   Neither has to prove anything at NHL level to secure a long-term deal as both deals may be respective last deals (and more than certainly last major deals) in their careers.  Absolutely nothing in it for them or security for their families.   Sorry, this one is a swing and a miss.  tenor.gif?itemid=16054443

Edited by Rob_Zepp
Marchand kept moving for photo op
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Neither player will sign a one year deal Jan.   Neither has to prove anything at NHL level to secure a long-term deal as both deals may be respective last deals (and more than certainly last major deals) in their careers.  Absolutely nothing in it for them or security for their families.   Sorry, this one is a swing and a miss.  tenor.gif?itemid=16054443

Oh, I knew that before I posted it....just wanted to start a discussion

Probably should not have, but wanted to see what came out of it

More less a day dream....it would solve somethings though

LOL

:picard: I hang my head in shame

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Oh, I knew that before I posted it....just wanted to start a discussion

Probably should not have, but wanted to see what came out of it

More less a day dream....it would solve somethings though

LOL

:picard: I hang my head in shame

No head hanging Jan.....how else would have I had the chance to post my Marchand tape?

• Haha 1

On 1/21/2020 at 6:41 PM, janisahockeynut said:

This discussion might get shut down quickly, but I am wondering if the Canucks can sign Chris Tanev and Jacob Markstrom to team friendly 1 year contracts, then during the Seattle Expansion draft, they would be deemed UFA's and technically not eligible for the Expansion draft, while the Canucks and any other team could negotiate with them.

Now, there is risk with this suggestion, and Tanev and Markstrom could sign with anyone, but if both Tanev and Marky want to play here, this protects Demko, and allows us to resign Markstrom later in the summer, as well as protecting 1 more defenseman if needed.

Yes, it is circumvention, but was there any contracts done like this during the Vegas expansion draft?

I think, because the Canucks run the risk of loosing both for nothing, the NHL can not rule against them...……...

Yes, I am always scheming...…..but does this fly?

It’s a dumb and unrealistic idea that suits neither the players nor the team.   The Canucks will want to sign both guys so that they can focus on Pettersson and Hughes. 

If you look closely at the Canucks’ cap structure and cap hits, management has 2021-2022 circled as the year where they expect to go deep.   

The Canucks will do whatever they can to get both Tanev and Markstrom at low cap hits even if it means surrendering some term.    I wouldn’t be surprised at all if Tanev got 3-4 years, while Markstrom got 6-7.   The Canucks will place a huge emphasis on low AAV’s even if it means giving out an unfavorable term.

On 1/23/2020 at 2:05 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Making fun of Marchand isn’t going to help erase the memory of 2011 unfortunately.