The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Additional trophy/revenue stream discussion

Rate this topic

UKNuck96

This is meant as a discussion piece so interested in people’s views/thoughts about this.

Next season (if there is one) and going forward the flat cap will hurt a lot of teams, not just that but owners will be making a fair amount of losses icing a team if the fans are not there. 

So I was thinking there needs to be ways of making additional revenue, to both decrease the losses/gain income.

this also tied into a though I was having about the NHL (And NA sports) in general. 

the Stanley cup is the pinnacle of the NHL, probably the hardest cup in professional sports to win (and even harder since the league continues to grow)

however we will soon have 32 teams where the only measure of real success in winning a single cup. Not just that with only 16 teams making the cut to play for it half the leagues teams won’t be even in the post season, and potentially a quarter of the teams could write off the season full stop. 

this can impact fan attendance and also TV rights and also sponsorships compounding a losing teams issue, piling on to teams that are down. Also this means that it also impacts league wide revenue. 

now I’m not proposing changing up the Stanley cup, but why not introduce something to help with both situations and also provide something for fans to get excited about even if they are a basement dweller. 

So I propose something along the lines of a knockout cup. 

each of the 31(32) teams get drawn randomly against another team in the league to play a single knockout game to progress to the next round. 

each round gets randomly redrawn so it’s not in set brackets with this continuing until the semi finals. The semi finals are then held at a neutral venue and the same for the final (Which could be bid for by teams and maybe even have the final as an outside game?)

(aka similar to the English FA cup)

this would allow extra games and revenue, a reason to keep fans interested as it’s not a long slog beat team wins, but best on the day which means you have to bring your a game and cannot have an off game.

doesnt impact on drafting or the Stanley cup and potentially allows for even more jerseys to be sold /variations for their ‘Knock out trophy’ run.

(Canucks could use the skate ones etc)

thoughts?

5 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

(aka similar to the English FA cup)

I'm not a soccer guy.  Would this be done during the regular season?  Or before, as part of exhibition play?

In some ways, this is the same rationale behind the World Cup.  It's supposed to provide extra revenue to the league and the NHLPA.  But they can't seem to get their act together to run it consistently.

8 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

I'm not a soccer guy.  Would this be done during the regular season?  Or before, as part of exhibition play?

In some ways, this is the same rationale behind the World Cup.  It's supposed to provide extra revenue to the league and the NHLPA.  But they can't seem to get their act together to run it consistently.

Could be done whenever, I envision it taking place during the season with it concluding before TDD

Adding to this potentially could have the cup title sponsored - ie if Molson Coors sponsored it could be the Molson cup etc- and this goes into prize money.

could also use it as a way of testing rules. Ie have the long change on period 1 &3 instead of period 2

maybe allow a team to select the players from the full 50 roster slots with no cap/waiver issues - so if a team wanted to use it to play some youngsters/prospects they can without issue?

1 hour ago, UKNuck96 said:

Could be done whenever, I envision it taking place during the season with it concluding before TDD

Do soccer teams play as often as NHL teams do?  Or as long of a season?

While I like the idea to a point, I think wear and tear becomes an issue.  The NHL season is already too long as it is.  I can't imagine shoe-horning a possible 1 to 5 games (depending on whether the win or not) into the schedule.

1 hour ago, goalie13 said:

Do soccer teams play as often as NHL teams do?  Or as long of a season?

While I like the idea to a point, I think wear and tear becomes an issue.  The NHL season is already too long as it is.  I can't imagine shoe-horning a possible 1 to 5 games (depending on whether the win or not) into the schedule.

English teams play 38 league games, there is also 2 domestic cup competitions as well as champions league and Europa league so the top end teams are playing roughly 60 games. Also factor in that there is only 3 substitutes allowed per game therefore your good players are playing 90 minutes night in and night out creating a much higher level of ware and tare

hahah a ha

of all the things I care about... world peace, climate change, world hunger, another stupid election, whether my socks match

I absolutely do not care about NHL revenue streams

I already do not watch the all star game or outdoor "classics"

I think I would take a pass on this one too.

That said, trying to steal an idea from another league seems very NHL, so you might be onto something here.

8 minutes ago, lmm said:

hahah a ha

of all the things I care about... world peace, climate change, world hunger, another stupid election, whether my socks match

I absolutely do not care about NHL revenue streams

I already do not watch the all star game or outdoor "classics"

I think I would take a pass on this one too.

That said, trying to steal an idea from another league seems very NHL, so you might be onto something here.

The all star game or World Cup of hockey to me seem like one off gimmicks, I do think a knockout cup competition because it features the actual teams rather than some random blended roster from across the league would have more support and meaning, as it’s something their team can win.