The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

Lol who would have thought that Brock would submit him. Brock doing a submission? Since when? :D

Carwin was destroying him at first, but it was right not to call it. Those huge arms are pretty good protection for covering the head.

The Leben vs Akiyama fight was awesome too.

• Upvote 1

Lol who would have thought that Brock would submit him. Brock doing a submission? Since when? :D

Carwin was destroying him at first, but it was right not to call it. Those huge arms are pretty good protection for covering the head.

The Leben vs Akiyama fight was awesome too.

Agreed. I'll definitely be watching that fight again. :bigblush:

Quote from Shane Carwin

"The game plan last night was to be patient and let the fight come to you. When I had him in trouble the ref keep saying he was going to stop it and then towards the end of the 1st my body began to seize up. In between rounds I could not move my legs and had what felt like a whole body cramp. My cardio was fine but my body was not. What can you do? You have to stand up and face your opponent."

I was watching the post fight conference and apparently Josh Rosenthal came to Lesnar before the fight and said that if one you is in a bad situation, you have to show me something that tells me your still alive and able to defend yourself; otherwise I'm gonna have to stop the fight.

Rosenthal told Brock (and prolly Carwin) exactly what he needed and obviously Brock did what he had too. So stop B****in bout it.

Also Carwin wasn't at the post fight conference, he was at the hospital because he was hyperventilating blink.gif

I though this guy trained at altitude??

Also Carwin wasn't at the post fight conference, he was at the hospital because he was hyperventilating blink.gif

I though this guy trained at altitude??

He said it wasn't his cardio that was a problem, but his body. Carwin didn't elaborate on what that means, however I'll take a guess that he had to cut too much weight to make 265. He probably started cramping up more than actually being gassed, though cardio may well still have been a factor. In his first fight Carwin was 255, so I think he should try to keep leaner for his next fight to avoid the water loss and dehydration of weight cutting.

Fight could of been easily called, gimme a break. I've seen fights called for less, we all have. That being said, it's a championship fight and Rosenthal made the right decision but it still could of easily been called. You'd be a fool to say otherwise. Brock was being beaten down, you could even make a case for 2 stoppages. Carwin should of gone for a submission on the ground but then again coulda woulda shoulda. I'm looking forward to the rematch, whenever it does happen.

Dana must be on cloud 9 right now. Fedor loses, Brock comes back and wins after being down. It can't get better for him.

The fight could have been called, but in my opinion that would have been a mistake. Fights get called when a fighter is no longer able to protect himself, and in this case Brock was protecting himself. While Carwin was beating on him and Brock really couldn't escape or generate much offense, he was still able to block most of the shots with his arms, and a couple times he was able to kick Carwin to knock him back a little bit.

I don't know if there will be a rematch for a while as it looks like Brock's next two opponents will be Velasquez and Dos Santos, and I would still like to see a Lesnar/Mir 3, but I wouldn't be against a Lesnar/Carwin rematch at all.

The fight could have been called, but in my opinion that would have been a mistake. Fights get called when a fighter is no longer able to protect himself, and in this case Brock was protecting himself. While Carwin was beating on him and Brock really couldn't escape or generate much offense, he was still able to block most of the shots with his arms, and a couple times he was able to kick Carwin to knock him back a little bit.

I don't know if there will be a rematch for a while as it looks like Brock's next two opponents will be Velasquez and Dos Santos, and I would still like to see a Lesnar/Mir 3, but I wouldn't be against a Lesnar/Carwin rematch at all.

I'm a big Dos Santos fan, but would it not be hilarious if Roy Nelson beat Junior and faced Brock? Hahaha.

Seeing them up head to head...a huge jacked guy vs a short fat guy.

I'm a big Dos Santos fan, but would it not be hilarious if Roy Nelson beat Junior and faced Brock? Hahaha.

Seeing them up head to head...a huge jacked guy vs a short fat guy.

Yeah I'm pretty much assuming that Dos Santos is going to take care of Nelson. Junior just has so much talent and when I look at a guy like Roy Nelson I just can't take him seriously as a legitimate contender. Perhaps he'll prove me wrong, but I just don't see it.

Yeah I'm pretty much assuming that Dos Santos is going to take care of Nelson. Junior just has so much talent and when I look at a guy like Roy Nelson I just can't take him seriously as a legitimate contender. Perhaps he'll prove me wrong, but I just don't see it.

Yeah, I'm almost 100% that Dos Santos will break Roy Nelson, but it would be funny if Nelson got to fight Lesnar. In any situation really. Maybe Velasquez will beat Lesnar, then Dos Santos beating Nelson, making it Velaquez vs Dos Santos/ Lesnar vs Nelson.

Yeah, I'm almost 100% that Dos Santos will break Roy Nelson, but it would be funny if Nelson got to fight Lesnar. In any situation really. Maybe Velasquez will beat Lesnar, then Dos Santos beating Nelson, making it Velaquez vs Dos Santos/ Lesnar vs Nelson.

Really, I think Velasquez and Dos Santos should fight eachother to determine who the real number one contender is. But that'll never happen because there's no way the UFC is going to matchup two of their youngest and brightest stars together before they get a shot at the title. But that fight would be very entertaining. Moreso than a Lesnar/Nelson fight which I can't see going well for Nelson at all.

Despite his loss to Werdum, I would still like to see an eventual Brock vs. Fedor fight assuming Fedor doesn't lose anymore in the meantime and Brock continues his winning streak. There's always going to be that 'fantasy match' in the minds of a lot of MMA fans and much debate over who would win. Another potentially good bout that may or may not ever happen is Brock vs. Alistair Overeem. Or maybe it's just my general lack of knowledge of Strikeforce and the quality of their fighters...

Don't know if anyone's noticed a few headlines and announced matchups in the UFC for upcoming cards....

UFC 119

Main event: Big Nog vs Frank Mir 2

Co-Main Event: Lil' Nog vs Ryan Bader

UFC 121 (in Anaheim.... hmmmm)

Main event: Brick Lesnar vs Cain Velasquez (HW Title)

Don't know if anyone's noticed a few headlines and announced matchups in the UFC for upcoming cards....

UFC 119

Main event: Big Nog vs Frank Mir 2

Co-Main Event: Lil' Nog vs Ryan Bader

UFC 121 (in Anaheim.... hmmmm)

Main event: Brick Lesnar vs Cain Velasquez (HW Title)

Those are going to be some gooood fiiights. That's Big Nog's chance to show how much better he can be against Mir without being injured.

I think people underestimate Nelson though. While I believe Junior is better, Roy Nelson has knocked out people, plus his ground game is better than his stand-up..will be interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know a place with good food and big screens to watch ufc 117?

Having a hard time finding a place and I don't think those chain restaurants would turn on the sound for the tvs.

Edited by loluongo

121 looks like it's gonna be the card of the year:

* Heavyweight Championship bout: Brock Lesnar vs Cain Velasquez

* Light Heavyweight bout: Tito Ortiz vs Matt Hamill

* Welterweight bout: Jake Shields vs. Martin Kampmann

* Lightweight bout: Paul Taylor vs. Sam Stout

* Middleweight bout: Court McGee vs. Ryan Jensen

* Welterweight bout: Diego Sanchez vs. Paulo Thiago

* Middleweight bout: Patrick Côté vs. Tom Lawlor

* Heavyweight bout: Brendan Schaub vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

I thought they would of made it a weaker card since Brock is headlining. Jake Sheilds makes his UFC debut against Kampmann and Ortiz looks for his first win in 4 years against Hamill. I'm also looking forward to seeing how Schaub does against Gonzaga and Patrick Cote is fighting as well as Sam Stout. What a card.

Anyone know a place with good food and big screens to watch ufc 117?

Having a hard time finding a place and I don't think those chain restaurants would turn on the sound for the tvs.

Off the top of my head, try Sharks, BP, or Shanks.

Edited by Innovative

121 looks like it's gonna be the card of the year:

* Heavyweight Championship bout: Brock Lesnar vs Cain Velasquez

* Light Heavyweight bout: Tito Ortiz vs Matt Hamill

* Welterweight bout: Jake Shields vs. Martin Kampmann

* Lightweight bout: Paul Taylor vs. Sam Stout

* Middleweight bout: Court McGee vs. Ryan Jensen

* Welterweight bout: Diego Sanchez vs. Paulo Thiago

* Middleweight bout: Patrick Côté vs. Tom Lawlor

* Heavyweight bout: Brendan Schaub vs. Gabriel Gonzaga

I thought they would of made it a weaker card since Brock is headlining. Jake Sheilds makes his UFC debut against Kampmann and Ortiz looks for his first win in 4 years against Hamill. I'm also looking forward to seeing how Schaub does against Gonzaga and Patrick Cote is fighting as well as Sam Stout. What a card.

Wow that is a nice card. Tito gets to face the student he treasured so much too :P

• 2 weeks later...