The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

UH oh UFC in Montreal might just not happen.

The UFC's second trip to Montreal Quebec may not go down as expected like the first time they arrived last year in April.

According to a report by Corus Sports.com, Canadian officials have said that the UFC is not welcome for an April return trip to the Bell Centre in Montreal with the organization's current rules and policies.

Réjean Thériault, the communications director for the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux, which governs alcohol, racing, gambling and combat sports in Quebec, told Corus Sports the UFC's use of elbows and knees to the head do not currently fall in line with commission's policies.

The commission's current policies only apply to boxing, kickboxing and mixed boxing and do not provide regulations on the use of a cage. Thériault told Corus Sports that if the UFC was unable to adapt its own policies to the commission's regulations the company would not be welcome for the April 18 event.

"I don't have enough information right now," Ratner said. "I just know what I've been told, and we're working on it."

Ratner said the UFC was working diligently to ensure the event went on as planned.

"I just know peripherally, and we're getting all the information," Ratner said. "We've got to make it work."

Thursday's revelation was particularly curious considering the UFC held the highest-attended event in company history, "UFC 83: Serra vs. St. Pierre 2." According to the report, the commission was unaware of the UFC's 2008 event -- attended by over 21,000 people and generating $5.1 million in ticket sales -- until just a few days ago.

Thériault went on to state that there was simply not adequate time to make the necessary regulatory changes in order for the UFC to hold an event in Montreal under the Unified Rules of MMA.

According to an additional report by the Canadian-based Sportsnet.ca, the commission is re-evaluating the rules it uses to govern mixed martial arts after confusion over implemented policies for the Feb. 6 debut show of Stephen Patry's Strikebox. While the event was conducted under standard MMA rules, a supposed "gentleman's agreement" to keep the fights standing was agreed upon by the fighters involved. When main-event competitor James Thompson did not adhere to the alleged agreement, angry fans began peltng the combatants with beer cans and other objects.

The report goes on to state that sources have indicated the commission bay be looking to require "a much smaller cage than the UFC's patented Octagon, prohibiting elbow and knee strikes and requiring that the referee halt a bout should a fighter get knocked down from a strike in order to ensure the downed fighter is okay to continue."

MMACanada.net - Your #1 Source for Mixed Martial Arts Media

where the heck is the Pfizer I haven't seen him around lately.

Edited by Harbinger

:mellow:

UH oh UFC in Montreal might just not happen.

MMACanada.net - Your #1 Source for Mixed Martial Arts Media

where the heck is the Pfizer I haven't seen him around lately.

That would suck, it's a pretty good card. I still think it'll happen.

http://www.bjpenn.com/

BJ penn now claiming Florian sent his camp a text saying GSP roids and greases and got the info while training with GSP

Sorest loser ever

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/mma/...ction=si_latest

While the Ultimate Fighting Championship's Canadian debut last year was the most highly attended event in the promotion's history, it appears that the UFC's return trip to Montreal may not be as welcome.

The promotion on Wednesday launched ticket sales for its April 18 event at the Bell Centre in Montreal. UFC 97 is scheduled to feature a middleweight championship bout between Anderson Silva and Thales Leites.

Evidently, due to recent events that fall under the Quebec Athletic Commission's jurisdiction -- specifically former TKO promoter Stephane Patry's new Strikebox event -- the commission is considering revising the rules that have governed mixed martial arts for years in Quebec, according to a report from Sportsnet.ca.

Sources apparently informed Sportsnet.ca that the QAC is considering changes such as disallowing elbow and knee strikes, requiring the use of a smaller cage than the UFC Octagon, and possibly forcing the referee to stop the bout if a fighter is knocked down from standing due to a strike in order to check and see if the fighter is able to continue.

Representatives of the QAC told Sportsnet.ca the UFC would have to follow the commissions rules in order to operate an even in Montreal.

The UFC has always been adamant that it acts under the governance of the sanctioning body in place in the territory that its events are held. Such rules changes would have a rather drastic effect on the in-ring action, the likes of which the promotion hasn't had to face in many years. Although no comment is yet forthcoming from the UFC on what it would do if such changes were implemented, it wouldn't seem to follow the promotion's track record to accept changes of such magnitude.

The Sportsnet.ca report went on to say that "Marc Ratner, the UFC's vice president of government and regulatory affairs, is fully aware of the new situation and is hopeful that ongoing discussions with the commission will prove that this will not jeopardize the UFC's return to the province."

these are the rules they want to institute

1 disallowing elbow and knee strikes,

2 requiring the use of a smaller cage than the UFC Octagon,

3 forcing the referee to stop the bout if a fighter is knocked down from standing due to a strike in order to check and see if the fighter is able to continue.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/124093-...ian-retribution

UFC 97: A Case of Canadian Retribution?

Instead of writing screenplays about the "Irish Mafia," perhaps Dana White should have spent more time in Canada trying to discover if they have their own equivalent of a Mafia.

For certain, the insinuations that Dana made on his v-blog at UFC 94 concerning Quebec's own favorite son, Georges St-Pierre, the winner of the 2008 Canadian Athlete of the year by an 85 percent vote, may not have gone unnoticed.

French may be spoken in preference to English, but those living in the province of Quebec are smart enough to know that Dana put a blog on the Web that showed him confronting the stunned David Loiseau and Rashad Evans with the news that their friend and trusted training partner was in trouble for greasing with Vaseline during the fight.

Could it be possible that after Dana started stirring the pot to tar and feather Georges after best buddy Chuck Liddell spread the news that Vaseline was being used inappropriately by Georges' friend Phil Nurse, that Canadians are recalling that their version of the MMA rules were butchered when the UFC last came to Montreal and now they are mad and not going to take Dana's form of "cheating" a second time?

How funny would that be...Dana knocked off the high road and down in "le gutter."

Obviously, I do not speak French, though I am sure that neither Dana nor Chuck parlez vous Francais either; "gutter," I am sure they will understand.

So UFC 97 is in jeopardy for whatever reason, and I sit here laughing because it would be such wonderful poetic justice for Dana to take a direct hit where it hurts the most.

Guessing where that could be?

Wallet, massive ego, effort to market the UFC in other places in Canada?

Be my guest, I don't care as much which one you chose, but the picture of Dana running around f'n this and f'n that just really cracks me up!

I love Canadians and all of the Canadian fighters who were scheduled to fight on the card, but Dana, Liddell and the Penn clan have soured me on anything UFC. I may even burn my UFC t shirts...not the expensive Affliction ones, which I prefer anyway.

Dana just cannot learn to keep a civil tongue in his head, and his attitude was bound to catch up with him someday. Guess it might as well be now.

If Georges had actually broken any rules, I would not feel so bitter.

It seemed like a lot of people, Keith Kizer, Chuck Liddell, Dana and all the Penns' lawyers and all the king's men did not realize that the wording was different in the Las Vegas MMA rules than those used in Chuck's home state of California.

The wording that "no excessive" use to the face and body would seem to clear Phil Nurse of applying a minuscule amount of residual Vaseline to Georges' neck, back, or shoulders; we are certainly not talking dollops here!

Very few fans, even those who were cheering for BJ believe that grease affected the outcome of the fight.

Grease anywhere on Georges did not cause BJ to appear out of shape and gassed at the end of the second round.

BJ had said the fight was to the death, but was unable to answer the call for the fifth round which was very unfortunate, because as Georges ended the fourth round he looked extremely determined to kill Penn and was very pumped up judging from his swing at the fence.

Guess BJ really only meant to say, "until I lose my breath." He did appear closer to death than I have ever seen him appear before, though.

So the Canadians are obviously more aware of their rules and do not want to stand idly by while Dana's event breaks rules about strikes made to downed opponents.

Well, while UFC 97's future is up in the air, it gives a lot of people time to reflect.

Hopefully, innocent bystanders will not be hurt by the resolution to this new mess that Dana has gotten us (the fans) into this time.

I imagine there are a lot of other fans with theories they would love to share with Mr. White right now.

But, as granny likes to say, "If you are spreading sh*t all over, be sure you don't step in the middle of it and then track it in the house.

http://mmajunkie.com/news/14004/report-ufc...save-ufc-97.mma

Report: UFC officials heading to Quebec in effort to save UFC 97

by MMAjunkie.com Staff on Feb 14, 2009 at 2:00 pm ET

After breaking the news on Thursday that Quebec's governing body in charge of regulating combat sports in the province would not sanction the "UFC 97: Redemption" event under the Unified Rules of MMA, French language website Corus Sports.com is reporting that UFC President Dana White will attend meetings in Quebec next week in an attempt to reach a resolution.

The meeting between White and the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux could determine the fate of the nearly sold-out April 18 event, scheduled for the Bell Centre in Montreal.

The same venue played host to UFC 83 in 2008, an event attended by more than 21,000 spectators that generated more than $5.1 million in ticket sales.

The confusion began on Thursday, when Réjean Thériault, the communications director for the Régie des alcools, des courses et des jeux, which governs alcohol, racing, gambling and combat sports in Quebec, told CorusSports the UFC's use of elbows and knees to the head do not currently fall in line with the commission's policies.

While the commission's current policies only apply to boxing, kickboxing and mixed boxing -- and do not provide regulations on the use of a cage -- the commission had allowed groups such as promoter Stephen Patry's TKO to operate outside of those boundaries.

Ironically, it may have been Patry's new venture, Strikebox, that caused the commission to reverse its position. While the Feb. 6 event was conducted under standard MMA rules, a supposed "gentleman's agreement" to keep the fights standing was allegedly agreed upon by the fighters involved. When main-event competitor James Thompson did not adhere to the alleged agreement, angry fans began pelting the combatants with beer cans and other objects.

Following the initial reports of an issue, UFC Vice President of Regulatory Affairs Marc Ratner told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) the organization would do everything in its power to make sure the event went on as planned.

"I just know what I've been told, and we're working on it." Ratner said. "We've got to make it work."

According to the report by Corus Sports.com, the meeting will be an attempt "to resolve problems with an open mind."

For continued coverage of "UFC 97: Redemption," stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

Montreal would be stupid not to have it. Its going to pump millions into their economy.

I don't disagree. I myself would rather they loosened the rules much more than that to include head stomps and knees to the head of a downed opponent. But to use the money as your reasoning for keeping something going that they do not agree with is a cop out. There is more than meets the eye to this situation.

http://www.adcombat.com/Article.asp?Article_ID=17585

Karo Parisyan Facing Suspension For Failing Drug Test

Submitted by:Mark Richards

Posted on : 2/12/2009

At UFC 94, on January 31st UFC welterweight contender Karo Parisyan returned to the octagon with a decision victory over Korean Dong Hyun Kim. It was considered a critical victory for the Armenian, who had fought only once in 2008. A back injury and personal issues led him to pull out of a match against Yoshiyuki Yoshida at UFC 88, and his status certainly slipped. Now the Nevada State Athletic Commission is reporting that Parisyan has tested positive for several banned substances. Reports state that they are 'pain killers' and not performance enhancing, however his next bout may be in jeopardy.

Parisyan has been a standout in the UFC for several years, as the Gokor Chivichyan student has displayed a unique style blending judo and aggressiveness that has seen him consistently ranked in the UFC's Top 10 in the welterweight division. His record of 19-5 overall includes 12 fights in the UFC, where he has lost only to the elite of the weight class (George St Pierre, Diego Sanchez and Thiago Alves). At just 26 years of age, it would seem that Parisyan's future is ahead of him, however this positive test clouds his future as a contender.

The NSAC's procedure requires all fighters to list the medication they are taking as part of the licensing process, and Parisyan is on record as stating that he listed all his medications. Parisyan has also suffered from anxiety attacks prior to his bouts and has taken medication for that condition in the past, but this is the first time he has failed a test under commission rules. The back injury he suffered in 2008 and caused him to pull out of a bout also required medical care, but Parisyan appeared ready to resume his career.

A previous positive result by another fighter for the same pain killers resulted in a suspension of 9 months. Parisyan was scheduled to return to the UFC in May against the winner of the upcoming bout between Josh Koschek and Paulo Thiago, but Parisyan now faces a potentially lengthy suspension and another bump in his career.

First off, Kim got screwed over.

The judges really effed up that decision.

Despite the back humping, Kim was clearly the better fighter.

This wouldn't be classified as "karma" but for some strange reason I look at it that way.

~-..

Seriously?

When will UFC fighters learn that taking steroids, HGH, ect. will not provide you with "an advantage"

Sherk took roids.

He got destroy.

Bonnar took roids.

He got destroyed. Then destroyed again.

It's a common theme...

Why do they do it?

All that's really going to do is ruin your career and the career after that.

Wait til you're 50 with half a liver and 3 heart attacks....

First off, Kim got screwed over.

The judges really effed up that decision.

Despite the back humping, Kim was clearly the better fighter.

This wouldn't be classified as "karma" but for some strange reason I look at it that way.

~-..

Seriously?

When will UFC fighters learn that taking steroids, HGH, ect. will not provide you with "an advantage"

Sherk took roids.

He got destroy.

Bonnar took roids.

He got destroyed. Then destroyed again.

It's a common theme...

Why do they do it?

All that's really going to do is ruin your career and the career after that.

Wait til you're 50 with half a liver and 3 heart attacks....

I think it was actually pain meds this time awesome. Percorcets or something.

Harbinger.... we get it. You hate the UFC, GSP, and have a mass boner for Fedor.

Cool.

I don't hate GSP. Not at all. And its not the UFC I hate. It's Dana white. As for Fedor. Well its fedor.

I was going to make a jerky response but I don't really think it was needed.

Edited by Harbinger