The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

That's the thing, the fee to use the airport isn't extra at all. It's a stardard fee for the service of having a place for you to get on a plane and for it to have a spot to take off and land from. All airports charge it.

What would you have, the goverment pay to keep the airport running? I am fairly sure the last people that need a subsidy are those riding in a jet plane!!!!!

It is an extra fee. It's an extra I tolerate, but not when I am then charged an extra fee to use something that just got built with the extra fee I already paid!

It only started fairly recently, how did the airport run prior to the fee? On fairy dust?

It is an extra fee. It's an extra I tolerate, but not when I am then charged an extra fee to use something that just got built with the extra fee I already paid!

It only started fairly recently, how did the airport run prior to the fee? On fairy dust?

I don't know, but it has definately funded a lot of capital projects. If they used that money to build a parking garage should they not charge to use it? If they use that fee to build more service spaces, should they not charge rent on them?

Besides, if you use the airport often enough to actually notice then you have more than enough cashflow to not worry about it. An extra four to five dollars to get rapid transit right into the check in area before you get on your thousand dollar flight? Cry me a river.

BTW, I would expect the biggest users to be airport employees, all of whom no doubt will have monthly passes.

I don't know, but it has definately funded a lot of capital projects. If they used that money to build a parking garage should they not charge to use it? If they use that fee to build more service spaces, should they not charge rent on them?

Besides, if you use the airport often enough to actually notice then you have more than enough cashflow to not worry about it. An extra four to five dollars to get rapid transit right into the check in area before you get on your thousand dollar flight? Cry me a river.

BTW, I would expect the biggest users to be airport employees, all of whom no doubt will have monthly passes.

Right well I guess they bank on people like you with apathetic attitude, and apparently they are right in doing so.

2 dollar fee here, 3 dollar surcharge here, 5 dollars here, all the sudden you're talking about a lot of money.

You sound like a real life version of that ad for that bank where they jokingly comment on how they love bank fees. Only you're not joking.

Edited by inane

Right well I guess they bank on people like you with apathetic attitude, and apparently they are right in doing so.

2 dollar fee here, 3 dollar surcharge here, 5 dollars here, all the sudden you're talking about a lot of money.

You sound like a real life version of that ad for that bank where they jokingly comment on how they love bank fees. Only you're not joking.

Not me, I am awesome at dodging fees.

I guess you have problems with being charged for the services people actually use, which is ironic considering you have no problem slapping road tolls and gas taxes on motor vehicles that have already paid and continue to pay way more than it costs to build and operate the roadway system.

The Airport Authority DOES NOT Charge the Extra Canada Line Add On.

The add on is put in by TRANSLINK, NOT YVR.

YVR doesn't get a penny.

No doubt to cover the extra money they had to put in to make it happen. Interesting all the hate for the airport here though. Clearly buddy should go to some other airports instead of our award winning one, I have seen some real dumps that still charge an arm and an leg not to mention being near to impossible to get to by any means.

The airport ran prior to the fee with fees on tickets and such. The AIF was instituted to improve the airport. Eg. Build new runways, upgrade terminals, build new terminals, etc. All airports have them now if you check your ticket codes.

No doubt to cover the extra money they had to put in to make it happen. Interesting all the hate for the airport here though. Clearly buddy should go to some other airports instead of our award winning one, I have seen some real dumps that still charge an arm and an leg not to mention being near to impossible to get to by any means.

Why do I bother with you guys? I don't hate the airport or anything else. It's the principal, the idea that annoys me.

Do I need to spell it out for you guys in smaller words? I don't know how else to say this.

Now if this money is going to Translink, as that previous poster suggested then that makes even less sense.

The airport ran prior to the fee with fees on tickets and such. The AIF was instituted to improve the airport. Eg. Build new runways, upgrade terminals, build new terminals, etc. All airports have them now if you check your ticket codes.

I know! That's why this fee is an 'extra' fee. Just like the next 'fee' will be extra. It's like you guys enjoy paying extra fees.

Am I the only one who thinks an extra 2 bucks or whatever to go 3 stops (2 of which 95% of the pop will never use) is excessive?

Just like almost every other airport in the world. For people that think it's some sort of rip off at least you can see quite easily they actually spend it improving the airport rather than pocketing a profit.

I believe the airport improvement fee was implemented when Transport Canada handed off the nation's airports to the locals. Since, we saw all these airport improvements funded by the new airport improvement fee:

Vancouver International Airport becomes one of the first four airports in Canada transferred from the Federal Government to local community-based, not-for-profit organizations. The new Airport Authority officially assumes management and operation of YVR on July 1, and embarks on an ambitious program to develop the airport.

The Shell Aerocentre opens.

The northeast finger of the Domestic Terminal is demolished to make way for the construction of a new International Terminal.

In May, the $250 million, 16-gate International Terminal Building opens to the public. It includes new facilities for transborder and international traffic, as well as a new control tower. Designed to allow for future expansion, the new terminal can handle up to eight million passengers annually. In November, operations begin on the 3,030-metre-long north parallel runway, which has Canada's first Category III instrument landing system. YVR's runways can now handle up to 425,000 take-offs and landings annually.

The East Apron expansion and de-icing lagoon are completed.

The International Terminal Building's Transborder Check-in area is expanded eastward, and the four-diamond, 400-room Fairmont Vancouver Airport hotel opens. The South Terminal was upgraded ($3.5M) and handles in excess of 200,000 passengers annually in 2002. Helijet opens their hangar/terminal on the south side.

In May, the new $114 million East Wing of the International Terminal Building opens, adding seven gates to the facility. More than 18,000 people attend an open house to celebrate the opening of the new wing. The airport's reputation as a world-class facility is confirmed when the International Air Transport Association's survey of international passengers rates YVR No. 1 in North America and No. 4 in the world.

Phase one of the $53 million upgrade of the Domestic Terminal Building is completed in June. The completely transformed north half of the building has an open floor plan, natural lighting from floor-to-ceiling windows and skylights, a state-of-the-art baggage system, new flight information displays and self-serve check-in kiosks. Traffic flow between the airport and Highway 99 is greatly improved with the completion of the $40 million Airport Connector Project in August. The work includes a new three-lane bridge. In November, work is completed on the $39 million expansion to the West Apron, a combined aircraft de-icing, staging and servicing facility.

The unprecedented closure of North American airspace following the September 11 terrorist attacks in the United States leads to the diversion of U.S. bound flights to Canada, with YVR safely landing 34 jumbo aircraft carrying 8,500 passengers. Airport Authority employees put regular jobs on hold, working long hours to handle them and the many more thousands stranded by the closure. The community responds quickly, with airport neighbours offering shelter to stranded passengers, and business and volunteer organizations distributing food, blankets, and other items to help out people.

In June, work is completed on the $53 million upgrade of the Domestic Terminal Building. The Airport Authority celebrates its 10th anniversary. In October, the Airport Authority is the first organization in British Columbia to be designated a Power Smart Certified business by BC Hydro. The designation is in recognition of the Airport Authority's energy reduction success and commitment to ongoing innovation. A lease is finalized with UPS to develop a regional air hub on the northlands (between the north runway and Sea Island Conservation Area). It becomes the anchor tenant for new development of the northlands. For the fourth consecutive year, YVR is ranked among the world's top airports in a survey of international passengers conducted by the International Air Transport Association.

YVR is rated as the top airport in North America by passengers surveyed for the International Air Transport Association's (IATA) annual global survey. For the fifth consecutive year, YVR is also chosen as one of the top ten airports in the world, the only Canadian airport to make the global top ten list.

2004-2009: $1.4-BILLION capital improvement plan

- Link Building I

- Link Building II

- Canada Line

- International Terminal Expansion - Chevron I

- Canada Line

- Domestic Terminal Renovations and Expansion

Future:

- new offshore runway

- terminal expansion, double the size of existing terminal

- many more

You see where our money was spent.

Right, they are spending it on the skytrain which they are in turn charging an extra fee to use.

It's still a screw job.

YVR isn't charging people the extra surcharge for the Canada Line. It wasn't even their suggestion, rather it was Translink's as they are responsible for fares and for running the line - if there's a shortfall in operational costs, they are responsible for that.

I can't find the numbers, but I've heard it's expensive for planes to land at YVR. Someone told me upwards of $10,000 for Air Canada.

Has anyone heard this? Does anyone know the numbers? Can you guys try to help me find the numbers?

Quite the contrary actually.

It's not like we are gauging passengers (most major airports charge an improvement fee, especially in Canada. We are better than a lot because it is only $5 within BC and the Yukon, and $15 for everywhere else.) This isn't out of line. Our landing fees and terminal fees are very low compared to other airports, especially major airports around the world. The way we are able to keep fees low is by having a variety of retail, food, parking, etc... Believe me, those businesses are OK with it, the fees aren't that bad, and they have a great business opportunity and location in a busy airport.

The fact is, the airport is nothing without airlines using it. All major airlines around the world like flying to aesthetically pleasing airports, with good facilities, retail, infrastructure improvements, etc.....The fact that YVR can do this, while charging quite lowest landing fees, encourages other airlines to come here. And YVR is a highly rated airport in the world, often in the top 10 list. Unfortunately, many airlines have tried to expand their services to YVR but have been halted by Transport Canada, Ontario politics, Air Canada, and Toronto's Pearson International Airport (YYZ).

In contrast, Toronto (YYZ) is so mismagaed, and to fund their new Terminal 1, they charge the highest landing fees in the world! In order to have a beautiful terminal (though beauty depends on the individual, i find their airport to be absolutely generic to just any other airport in the world and it's absolutely stale and sterile), Toronto charges airlines a huge amount amount. I'm glad YVR is so well run, we have an amazing looking and functioning airport, that a lot of airlines want to use.... Now if only Transport Canada would encourage more Open Skies, we would be even better!

The world's most expensive landing fees:

http://www.atac.ca/en/ourissues/advocacy/landing_fees.html

I believe the airport improvement fee was implemented when Transport Canada handed off the nation's airports to the locals. Since, we saw all these airport improvements funded by the new airport improvement fee:

Future:

- new offshore runway

- terminal expansion, double the size of existing terminal

- many more

You see where our money was spent.

I don't really see any more space on the island, its going to get really cluttered. A possible extension of earth in the future maybe?

Don't build out to sea.

Take expansion to Abbotsford instead. It's safer if the air traffic is spread out anyways.

We've discussed that before....it's bound to be a failure. I'll even nickname it Mirabel II!

I don't really see any more space on the island, its going to get really cluttered. A possible extension of earth in the future maybe?

The preferred option for a fourth runway in 20-30 years is to fill in the ocean.

We've discussed that before....it's bound to be a failure. I'll even nickname it Mirabel II!

It should work out if they strictly force all overflow traffic that way, instead of taking a half assed approach to it.

Don't compromise both the environment and aviation safety for the convenience of the Sea Island location.

It should work out if they strictly force all overflow traffic that way, instead of taking a half assed approach to it.

Don't compromise both the environment and aviation safety for the convenience of the Sea Island location.

driving an hour into town from YXX is balls.

maybe in the future, we won't even need runways.

some kind of launch pad might do.