The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Hey where are the tolls? and if these pictures are recent doesn't look like its going to be done on time.

There are no tolls, it's a tiny crossing.

It'll be done on time, you're overestimating the scale of the project.

Richmond peeps, have any of you parked at Lansdowne and then taken the train? Do they have parking security or something like that monitoring the lot?

In happier news, the price of stolen car stereos is expected to drop as a glut of newly-pilfered merchandise comes onto the market.

In happier news, the price of stolen car stereos is expected to drop as a glut of newly-pilfered merchandise comes onto the market.

lol It actually wasn't a question regarding my car security, it was referring to whether or not my car will get towed or ticketed because I'm not going to the mall.

Richmond peeps, have any of you parked at Lansdowne and then taken the train? Do they have parking security or something like that monitoring the lot?

There were a ton of cars whom are so obviously parked there and taking skytrain.. I didnt see anyone patrolling when i parked there on the weekend. 1st as long as you are reasonably around the 4 hour limit you shouldnt have a problem.. I just parked in a busy section as well and not so close to the station and made sure it didnt look like i was blatantly headed to the train.

The seats are much better in Canada Line. And it is way wider. I like it.

Wider, certainly. Longer, no. But really though, our 2-car Canada Line trains have the equivalent capacity of a 4-car Mark I SkyTrain (the old NYC subway looking cars). The 2-car Canada Line carries 334 passengers while the 4-car Mark I carries 320 passengers....both figures are normal capacity loads.

As for the seats, they're alright. But they aren't vandal resistant at all! It'll only be a matter of time before somebody starts doing their grafitii on it or they'll edge it with something sharp.

Edited by nitronuts

Wider, certainly. Longer, no. But really though, our 2-car Canada Line trains have the equivalent capacity of a 4-car Mark I SkyTrain (the old NYC subway looking cars). The 2-car Canada Line carries 334 passengers while the 4-car Mark I carries 320 passengers....both figures are normal capacity loads.

As for the seats, they're alright. But they aren't vandal resistant at all! It'll only be a matter of time before somebody starts doing their grafitii on it or they'll edge it with something sharp.

I hope they put on a good smile for the surveillance camera.

Ridership numbers are still VERY impressive.

Saturday, August 22: 80,000 boardings

Sunday, August 23: 85,000 boardings

Commuters can't buy a ticket to ride Vancouver's new Canada Line

By Kelly Sinoski, Vancouver Sun

August 24, 2009 7:01 PM

VANCOUVER — Charlie Chen tried five times Monday to use his credit card to buy two tickets to ride the new Canada Line from Aberdeen Station to the airport.

But the machine refused to cooperate. It told him his card was invalid. He tried again, pushing the card in and pulling it out quickly. It didn’t work.

He switched to the other ticket vending machine and sought help from a Canada Line attendant, who told him to wait for a click and for an orange light to blink before removing the card.

Still nothing. Eventually Chen slipped in a $5 bill and the machine spat out the tickets.

“I don’t know why it won’t take the credit card,” Chen said.

Neither does TransLink.

The regional transportation authority maintains the high-tech ticket-vending machines are working properly, but are slightly different from those in the Expo and Millennium SkyTrain stations.

This means that instead of slipping a card quickly in and out of the card slot, passengers must wait for the click and an orange light to blink before removing it.

But if the card remains in the slot for too long, the machine will consider the transaction cancelled and send a message that the card is invalid. TransLink spokesman Drew Snider said the machines are “temperamental,” but insisted that they do work. :rolleyes:

Tell that to the people at Aberdeen Station, where one woman threw a tantrum after her card wouldn’t work in the machine. Another group of three people struggled for about five minutes before their tickets appeared. :lol:

Mahrokh Arefi, of TransLink, conceded the machines are still being tested and perhaps there needs to be more information about how to buy a ticket.

TransLink is working on what kind of instructional messages should be displayed on the machines to make them “more intuitive” to use, Arefi said. The information should be available within a week.

The machines were chosen because they’re compliant with chip-card systems. Similar machines will eventually replace those at the WestCoast Express station. Machines at Expo and Millennium SkyTrain stations are not equipped for chips.

“It’s a new system. With adequate information, it’s not going to be as much of a problem,” Arefi said.

Snider noted that passengers still have the option to pay cash, and that all the stations are located near ATMs.

Those who don’t pay risk getting a fine. Canada Line attendants are at most stations checking tickets before passengers board.

Transit police Staff Sgt. Al McGregor said officers have the discretion to fine users if they haven’t paid or are found committing other violations.

He said it was too early to say how many fines have been handed out in connection with the Canada Line because it often takes a week for officer’s reports to be filed.

“The onus is on the individual to provide proof of purchase,” he said. “It’s a learning curve for everyone right now.”

TransLink said there have been fewer complaints so far this week than last week as people start to get the hang of the ticket-vending machines.

But Canada Line attendant Hiro Tsujimoto said some of the machines weren’t working at all for credit cards, while one of the machines at Yaletown wouldn’t give any change. One man received just eight quarters from a $20 bill, he said.

Still, the machines haven’t deterred passengers from using the Canada Line, with 80,000 more boardings on Saturday and 85,000 on Sunday, according to operator ProTrans BC.

Jason Chan, spokesman of ProTrans BC, said the numbers were expected to be lower on the weekend, but it appears many passengers were heading to activities in downtown Vancouver.

ksinoski@vancouversun.com

© Copyright © The Vancouver Sun

I'm quite glad that Translink is taking their time for the fare gates/smart card systems...choosing the right system and designing it properly. There's no point in rushing it if it turns out we got the wrong system or it's terribly buggy.

Ridership numbers are still VERY impressive.

Saturday, August 22: 80,000 boardings

Sunday, August 23: 85,000 boardings

If the lineups are so long at 80,000-85,000 boardings, how bad is it going to get if it reaches their projected 100,000?

Tell that to the people at Aberdeen Station, where one woman threw a tantrum after her card wouldn’t work in the machine. Another group of three people struggled for about five minutes before their tickets appeared. laugh.gif

Can we have a "no-ride list" for train ragers?