The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

^ as said in the quote you posted, the first two-car second generation Mark II train enters service tomorrow. All 48 should be in service by sometime next year, hopefully in time for 2010. I believe 8 of the 48 cars have arrived.

I've just had news passed to me that the feds have agreed to provide extra customs personel for Amtrak. The second train will run from August untill the end of the 2010 games. This is being called a pilot project and if ridership is sufficient it will stay. No official source yet, sorry.

I've just had news passed to me that the feds have agreed to provide extra customs personel for Amtrak. The second train will run from August untill the end of the 2010 games. This is being called a pilot project and if ridership is sufficient it will stay. No official source yet, sorry.

http://www.news1130.com/news/local/more.js...703_152026_6036

lol

^ as said in the quote you posted, the first two-car second generation Mark II train enters service tomorrow. All 48 should be in service by sometime next year, hopefully in time for 2010. I believe 8 of the 48 cars have arrived.

What do they look like again?

edit: n/m, found them myself

Edited by silverpig

Canada Line may open even earlier

Few problems found so far during trial runs on rapid transit system

Alan Campbell, Richmond News

Published: Friday, July 03, 2009

The Canada Line could be open even earlier than Labour Day.

That's the news filtering through from Canada Line bosses as progress on the rapid transit service's testing continues apace without any glitches.

Earlier this year it became apparent that the Canada Line would be in a position to launch sooner than the original scheduled November opening. But recent intensive testing and trials have gone so well that the Labour Day prediction could be bumped up further to August.

"There's a good chance we'll be open ahead of Labour Day," said Steve Crombie, vice president of public affairs with InTransitBC, which will be responsible for the running of the Canada Line.

"Right now, we're running through some more testing and trials and stress tests. We have to be able to complete a certain percentage of successful runs and simulate system responses. I think about the third week in July we could be ready to set an actual date for opening."

Crombie said the Canada Line has passed every test so far, with finishing touches also being made to the line's stations.

The last big hurdle for the Canada Line is considered to be test runs for the BC Safety Authority, before an operating permit can be issued.

"If we can get through these trial runnings without any problems, then we'll be pretty much good to go," added Crombie.

Canada Line bosses warned earlier this year that a whole rash of headaches and hiccups could still plague any plans to open the Canada Line ahead of schedule.

But the majority of potential problems appears to have been either dealt with quickly or have not transpired at all. Construction of the fully-automated $2-billion line has been ahead of schedule for the last year, and it has been widely anticipated that the new transit system might open early.

A dedicated bus lane on Hwy. 99, north of Westminster Hwy. is being constricted to ease the passage of northbound buses to Canada Line's Bridgeport station.

Almost all Vancouver-bound buses from South Delta, South Surrey and White Rock will be re-routed upon Canada Line's opening to the Bridgeport station.

© Richmond News 2009

TransLink, Bombardier ink commuter rail deal

West Coast Express customers can look forward to greater capacity on their commuter trains beginning a year from now, under a deal executed today with Bombardier.

The contract – which was approved earlier this year by the TransLink Board of Directors and the Mayors’ Council – calls for a total of seven new cars to be built at the Bombardier plant in Thunder Bay, Ontario, and delivered by the end of September, 2010. This will add to the current fleet level of 37 cars (plus six locomotives). The first two cars are to be delivered by July 31, 2010.

“This is another significant move forward as we work to ensure the livability of the Metro Vancouver region,” says TransLink CEO Tom Prendergast. “In conjunction with TransLink’s Golden Ears Bridge, people on both sides of the Fraser River will have more alternatives to private vehicles for their commuting.”

Adds Doug Kelsey, CEO of BC Rapid Transit Company, which operates West Coast Express, “these additional cars will help us deal with current capacity issues and maintain our award-winning customer service levels for the Northeast Sector.”

When all the trains are delivered, each will have one additional car, allowing for approximately 150 more passengers on each trip or 750 more people a day. The remaining two cars will be used as spares.

The entire cost of the project is $28.1 million dollars, of which up to $9 million will come from the Federal Government’s Building Canada Fund; TransLink and the province of BC are splitting the rest.

Not a technician or anything, but I've never understood why they need so many spares for SkyTrain and buses. It's as if they expect two dozen of them breaking down at the same time.

Are they just dedicated spares, or are they put into rotation with the rest of the fleet to spread out the wear and tear?

^ i believe the last time that platform was used was during Expo '86 for the shuttle between the main fair area at False Creek and the Canada Pavilion, now Canada Place. These days, it's mostly used as storage track...i don't even know where the entrance to that third platform is.

There isn't really any benefit for using that third platform unless it leads to somewhere else....i.e., the third platform that is built at Lougheed Station for the future extension to Port Coquitlam.

^ i believe the last time that platform was used was during Expo '86 for the shuttle between the main fair area at False Creek and the Canada Pavilion, now Canada Place. These days, it's mostly used as storage track...i don't even know where the entrance to that third platform is.

There isn't really any benefit for using that third platform unless it leads to somewhere else....i.e., the third platform that is built at Lougheed Station for the future extension to Port Coquitlam.

You mean North Coquitlam (Evergreen Line)?

Has anyone ever seen the third platform at Stadium in use? Even after sold-out Lions games they stick with two. Is there a protocol for using it?

I've used it a couple times after Nucks games.

Not a technician or anything, but I've never understood why they need so many spares for SkyTrain and buses. It's as if they expect two dozen of them breaking down at the same time.

There are probably several reasons:

1. When a bus needs a service (oil change, engine service etc), another has to take its place. With a large fleet there are always buses going in for servicing.

2. Buses down for repairs. These things do break down and they need backups.

3. Remember in the winter when they didn't have enough buses to keep the lines going smoothly?

4. Emergency situations where skytrain goes down, or a bridge is shut down.

5. They add new routes every year too.

I'm sure there's more, but that's a start.