The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Apparently there's going to be a #125 running from Patterson SkyTrain station to BCIT starting in December? Can someone fill me in on that?

These routes will be implemented on December 29, 2008:

#125: Patterson Station to BCIT - traveling via Kingsway and Willingdon Avenue - peak direction only

#364: Langley Centre to Scottsdale - via 64th Avenue

#388: 22nd Street Station to Walnut Grove - via Highway 91/91A, Nordel Way, and 88th Avenue

#609: South Delta Exchange to Tsawwassen First Nation - via Tsawwassen Drive

These routes will be implemented on December 29, 2008:

#125: Patterson Station to BCIT - traveling via Kingsway and Willingdon Avenue - peak direction only

#364: Langley Centre to Scottsdale - via 64th Avenue

#388: 22nd Street Station to Walnut Grove - via Highway 91/91A, Nordel Way, and 88th Avenue

#609: South Delta Exchange to Tsawwassen First Nation - via Tsawwassen Drive

That 388 is gonna be great.

^ naw, i'd say it's getting there....obviously, the station is not done yet:

KICX5046.jpg

I laugh at the fact that there's no cars on #3 Road.

With the lack of "parking" at the Saba Rd stop, i hope Lansdowne Mall allows people to park their cars near the train stop and then take the RAV line. One can argue that there's parking at Bridgeport Stn, but I got this sense that it's not enough.

With the lack of "parking" at the Saba Rd stop, i hope Lansdowne Mall allows people to park their cars near the train stop and then take the RAV line. One can argue that there's parking at Bridgeport Stn, but I got this sense that it's not enough.

Prepare for the barrage of Kwantlen students abusing this, if it comes to fruition...

Prepare for the barrage of Kwantlen students abusing this, if it comes to fruition...

I highly doubt it, considering their cars would simply be ticketed or tolled.

With regards to Bridgeport's park and ride, there are 1200 car spaces.

Transportation minister calls mayoral candidate cheater, freeloader

Last Updated: Tuesday, November 4, 2008 | 8:46 PM ET

CBC News

Transit fines are set high to deter "cheaters and freeloaders" from taking free rides and costing honest people money, B.C. Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon said Tuesday.

Falcon's comment came after news broke earlier this week that Vancouver mayoral candidate Gregor Robertson refused to pay a $173 fine after being caught travelling two zones with a one-zone ticket on a SkyTrain in Burnaby last year.

Robertson, a former New Democratic MLA, said Monday that transit fines are too high and "I want to bring some attention to this."

Falcon questioned why Robertson didn't address the issue of high transit fines when he was a member of the legislature.

B.C. Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon says high transit fines are aimed at stopping 'cheaters and freeloaders' from costing honest people money.B.C. Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon says high transit fines are aimed at stopping 'cheaters and freeloaders' from costing honest people money. (CBC)

"This is hypocrisy, if you ask me, to be perfectly blunt with you," Falcon said.

"I think to try to suggest that this is some kind of bizarre effort to actually help people that are facing big fines is a bit of a stretch."

Robertson faces a court hearing next month on his transit fine dispute. In June 2007, he used a $2.25 single-zone ticket to travel on a SkyTrain from Burnaby to Vancouver, a trip that required a two-zone fare of $3.25.

"The reason why those fines are there is to stop cheaters and freeloaders from costing honest people money that pay their way through the system," Falcon said.

When asked whether Robertson was one of those cheaters and freeloaders, Falcon said, "Well, sure he is, if he's not paying the right amount."

Non-Partisan Association mayoral candidate Coun. Peter Ladner has accused Robertson of being a bad role model for young people by defying the laws.

The civic election is on Nov. 15.

Transportation minister calls mayoral candidate cheater, freeloader

Last Updated: Tuesday, November 4, 2008 | 8:46 PM ET

CBC News

Transit fines are set high to deter "cheaters and freeloaders" from taking free rides and costing honest people money, B.C. Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon said Tuesday.

Falcon's comment came after news broke earlier this week that Vancouver mayoral candidate Gregor Robertson refused to pay a $173 fine after being caught travelling two zones with a one-zone ticket on a SkyTrain in Burnaby last year.

Robertson, a former New Democratic MLA, said Monday that transit fines are too high and "I want to bring some attention to this."

Falcon questioned why Robertson didn't address the issue of high transit fines when he was a member of the legislature.

B.C. Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon says high transit fines are aimed at stopping 'cheaters and freeloaders' from costing honest people money.B.C. Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon says high transit fines are aimed at stopping 'cheaters and freeloaders' from costing honest people money. (CBC)

"This is hypocrisy, if you ask me, to be perfectly blunt with you," Falcon said.

"I think to try to suggest that this is some kind of bizarre effort to actually help people that are facing big fines is a bit of a stretch."

Robertson faces a court hearing next month on his transit fine dispute. In June 2007, he used a $2.25 single-zone ticket to travel on a SkyTrain from Burnaby to Vancouver, a trip that required a two-zone fare of $3.25.

"The reason why those fines are there is to stop cheaters and freeloaders from costing honest people money that pay their way through the system," Falcon said.

When asked whether Robertson was one of those cheaters and freeloaders, Falcon said, "Well, sure he is, if he's not paying the right amount."

Non-Partisan Association mayoral candidate Coun. Peter Ladner has accused Robertson of being a bad role model for young people by defying the laws.

The civic election is on Nov. 15.

Any publicity is good publicity. It gets your name recognized by Joe Schmoe who doesn't know who's who and who's what.

The tactic, however, was an offense.

but then the platforms would not be long enough

49th Avenue-Langara Station entrance

KICX6350.jpg

KICX6353.jpg

KICX6354.jpg

KICX6355.jpg

Nitro, did some guy's house use to be where the station is now? I was surprised that it's actually not on the road, but off to the side. Didn't think there was so much space there before.

SUN1105%20Translink.jpg

Latest Metro Vancouver transit innovation: big screen advertising

Darah Hansen , Vancouver Sun

Published: Wednesday, November 05, 2008

METRO VANCOUVER -- You're not crazy if you think you see the billboard on the side of the No. 110 bus moving.

What you are actually witnessing is the very latest in transit innovation: a huge, glowing LED panel that marketing officials are banking on being as attractive to advertisers as it is to the public.

"It's like a big TV screen," said TransLink spokesman Ken Hardie of the new technology, now being showcased only along the Lougheed route in Burnaby.

"It's really quite neat. It's noticeable enough to, obviously, attract your attention, but not so noticeable as to be a traffic distraction," Hardie said.

The panel - which is already in use in Chicago and New York - was brought to Vancouver by the Lamar Advertising Company, the agency contracted by TransLink to manage outdoor marketing throughout the region's transportation corridor.

Transit users are already familiar with several of Lamar's campaigns, including vinyl billboards on the sides of buses and so-called Michelangelos - advertisements painted across the ceilings of SkyTrain cars.

But this year, the company is investing in high-tech messaging. Along with the LED panel - now only a pilot project - the company has begun to install LCD screens in SkyTrain terminals that offer both transit information and rotating advertising slots.

The first screen, located in Waterfront Station, is expected to be operating by later this week with more expected to be installed in the coming weeks.

All that could mean a minor windfall for TransLink, which last year exceeded projected advertising revenue by 25 per cent, from the budgeted $6.8 million to $8.5 million.

That upward trend is expected to continue this year, with John Beaudois, TransLink's marketing manager, calling opportunities presented by the new technologies "significant."

Hardie said all money earned through advertising is used to offset TransLink's operating costs, which, in 2008 is estimated at $666 million. Slightly more than half, about $350 million, is expected to be recovered through passenger fares.

dahansen@vancouversun.com