The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

The new trolleys have 6 less seats than the 1970-1980 trolleys we had, however it also meant quite a bit more standing capacity.

I remember when the new trolleys had just arrived, and seniors and the so-called bus riders union complained how there were 6 less seats.....boohoo, pathetic.

Installing wheelchair lifts on them should be cheaper than buying new buses.

1. You'd put an upgrade costing probably tens of thousands of dollars on 30 year old buses?

2. Have you ever seen the lifts that operate on the other old buses? It's WAY slower to get the wheelchair up the lift and up the stairs than on those stairless kneeling buses.

3. The new trolleys have added features. They're less likely to fall off the lines, they're quieter and more stable, they hold more people, and when they do come off the lines the leads retract automatically allowing the driver to make it to the next stop on battery without having to stop.

4. New buses were needed anyways.

1. You'd put an upgrade costing probably tens of thousands of dollars on 30 year old buses?

2. Have you ever seen the lifts that operate on the other old buses? It's WAY slower to get the wheelchair up the lift and up the stairs than on those stairless kneeling buses.

3. The new trolleys have added features. They're less likely to fall off the lines, they're quieter and more stable, they hold more people, and when they do come off the lines the leads retract automatically allowing the driver to make it to the next stop on battery without having to stop.

4. New buses were needed anyways.

Not to mention they don't work half of the time.

And they also won't function if the sidewalk height is over an x number of inches above the main road. I know a driver who has to stop a good 2 meters in front of a certain bus stop pole for that reason (or the lift won't work).

Edited by BuckyHermit

Broke a new record today.

55 mins getting from UBC to my house's front door steps in west Richmond. Routing was 480 -> 496 -> walk.

Average is usually around 70mins.

I am very happy, as a result :D

Records for me (fastest times)

North Burnaby -> UBC = 43 minutes (130, SkyTrain, 99)

UBC -> North Burnaby = 39 minutes (84, SkyTrain) - let's see if someone can beat this

Broke a new record today.

55 mins getting from UBC to my house's front door steps in west Richmond. Routing was 480 -> 496 -> walk.

Average is usually around 70mins.

I am very happy, as a result :D

My records:

My house in W Richmond --> UBC

40 minutes (via 491-480)

UBC --> my house

50 minutes (via 49-491)

UBC --> downtown/Granville Station

23 minutes (via 258)

downtown --> my house

40 minutes (via 491)

my house --> downtown

43 minutes (via 491)

---

Longest (with bad weather or huge detours due to full buses):

my house --> UBC

2 hours 2 minutes (via 401-98-41)

UBC --> my house

3 hours 16 minutes (via 49-10-490-401)

UBC --> downtown

45 minutes (via 99-98)

downtown --> my house

2 hours 7 minutes (via 490-401)

my house --> downtown

1 hour 17 minutes (via 491)

Edited by BuckyHermit

^ Is 258 the secret alternative to the 44 during rush hours if you're going downtown?

I'll let you in on the little secret... ;)

The 258 from UBC in the afternoon goes from UBC Loop/Village, all the way to Granville at Georgia -- NON-STOP. It goes via Student Union Boulevard, Wesbrook Mall, University Boulevard, Blanca Street, 4th Avenue, Hemlock Street, 6th Avenue, Granville Street Bridge, Seymour Street, Georgia Street. Just make sure you pull the stop cord once you're on Seymour Street.

The reason for that is because 258 often turns into a 250A Dundarave in downtown.

Edited by BuckyHermit

Thank you!

Worthy alternative - might try the 258-160/190 combination sometime this week.

If you don't mind the hike from Georgia to Hastings/Dunsmuir, sure. 258 doesn't go to Burrard Station (only Granville Station, if you count Granville/Georgia as such).

Although there's also a stop at Burrard/Georgia, if I recall.

Edited by BuckyHermit

I haven't had a travel time of under 1 hour from UBC to my house in SW Richmond or vice versa since last school year. :( I believe my record was just under 40 minutes via 43 and 490. Longest was probably about 3 hours, 41-98-401 after a night exam. Probably going to break that one after my Saturday night final in December. <_<

What's the deal with the 491s lately during the 4 pm rush? They're not coming so I never get seats on the 490 anymore.

I haven't had a travel time of under 1 hour from UBC to my house in SW Richmond or vice versa since last school year. :( I believe my record was just under 40 minutes via 43 and 490. Longest was probably about 3 hours, 41-98-401 after a night exam. Probably going to break that one after my Saturday night final in December. <_<

What's the deal with the 491s lately during the 4 pm rush? They're not coming so I never get seats on the 490 anymore.

What's up with the 491s, period?

Well, besides their usual full-ness, I mean.

(They really need to up the frequency to 15 mins per bus between 3pm and 4pm... Having full buses at or before Broadway is just ridiculous.)

If you don't mind the hike from Georgia to Hastings/Dunsmuir, sure. 258 doesn't go to Burrard Station (only Granville Station, if you count Granville/Georgia as such).

Although there's also a stop at Burrard/Georgia, if I recall.

I'm sure there's one...it's one of the timing points anyway.

I'll look it up later.

Lucky for me, my finals for December are all at 12pm or 3:30pm.

I basically gave up on bussing home if I knew that I'd leave UBC after 7:30pm. Just park at Sexsmith or drive directly in and cough up 4-6$ (depending where and time of day). There's 2 routes that serve where I live, but I'm just too damn lazy... :P

Lucky for me, my finals for December are all at 12pm or 3:30pm.

I basically gave up on bussing home if I knew that I'd leave UBC after 7:30pm. Just park at Sexsmith or drive directly in and cough up 4-6$ (depending where and time of day). There's 2 routes that serve where I live, but I'm just too damn lazy... :P

Yea I'm thinking of driving that day... I don't like driving at night or driving in general but Saturday 7pm is just ridiculous. Why the heck do they do that anyway?

Ugh I have an 8:30am exam too.

Yea I'm thinking of driving that day... I don't like driving at night or driving in general but Saturday 7pm is just ridiculous. Why the heck do they do that anyway?

It's how they get their pants hot.

Parking at UBC is $4 flat rate after 5pm and weekends, so it's not that bad. It'd be worth the $4, imho.