The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Today there was apparently a broken down Skytrain in New West at around 4:30pm, which slowed things down for me getting home... until they got that cleared, it took 15 minutes to get from Burrard to Commericial, when normally, my commute on Skytrain takes 15 minutes total to get from Burrard to 29th Avenue station... and of course, the train being stuff as full as a sardine can didn't help (when are those new additional Mark II trains coming?)

I hate people who don't move into the window seat if it's available and the bus is packed like sardines.

Taking the 496 home during the 5pm plague today, I found myself lucky enough to have someone get off in Richmond, opening up a seat. I looked around, no one else went for it, and no one looked like they needed it (elderly, children, women - hey...gotta have some chivalrous men out there :P). Yet, to my anger, the Asian female (yes, them again) sitting in the aisle didn't budge. I said "excuse me, ma'am" to get her attention, so she could scoot her legs to allow me in. She didn't flinch. I coughed a bit, hoping to get her to move; she didn't. Finally, I threw my backpack in towards the window seat, pushed her into her seat, and then sat down in the window seat.

the best part is, when I was getting into the seat, I ripped this huge fart that went unheard because it was a D40HF bus. Needless to say, it was in the "silent but deadly" category :D

These routes will be implemented on December 29, 2008:

#125: Patterson Station to BCIT - traveling via Kingsway and Willingdon Avenue - peak direction only

#364: Langley Centre to Scottsdale - via 64th Avenue

#388: 22nd Street Station to Walnut Grove - via Highway 91/91A, Nordel Way, and 88th Avenue

#609: South Delta Exchange to Tsawwassen First Nation - via Tsawwassen Drive

How are bus numbers decided exactly? or is just like, the next bus gets the next unused number. Like do we actually have #609 routes not counting discontinued ones

I hate people who don't move into the window seat if it's available and the bus is packed like sardines.

Taking the 496 home during the 5pm plague today, I found myself lucky enough to have someone get off in Richmond, opening up a seat. I looked around, no one else went for it, and no one looked like they needed it (elderly, children, women - hey...gotta have some chivalrous men out there :P ). Yet, to my anger, the Asian female (yes, them again) sitting in the aisle didn't budge. I said "excuse me, ma'am" to get her attention, so she could scoot her legs to allow me in. She didn't flinch. I coughed a bit, hoping to get her to move; she didn't. Finally, I threw my backpack in towards the window seat, pushed her into her seat, and then sat down in the window seat.

the best part is, when I was getting into the seat, I ripped this huge fart that went unheard because it was a D40HF bus. Needless to say, it was in the "silent but deadly" category :D

i HATE when they do that too. and you're right, its ALWAYS asian females!

Why has the #41 Bus stopped using Trolleys? I remember the #41 used to be Trolley during the early 90s. This is why you see those trolley lines along the #41 route.

I believe the 41 uses both the diesels and trolleys.

Bowen Island gets two commuter ferry services

James Weldon, North Shore News

Published: Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Ambleside may soon be getting its own ferry connection to Downtown Vancouver if a company starting up a new service on Bowen Island gets its way.

Coastal Link Ferries, which started delivering foot passengers directly from Bowen Island to Coal Harbour Oct. 29, plans to expand its service to include a stop in West Vancouver en route some time next year. The change would mean Ambleside commuters could get from the North Shore to the city centre in just about 10 minutes.

"It's essentially a bus on the water," said Peter Green, marketing and communications director for Coastal Link. "Those who've done test runs with us have learned it's a beautiful trip (and) it's very quick."

bowenisland1.jpg

COASTAL Link's boat holds 65 passengers and will initially run one round-trip a day.

The company is one of two to appear almost simultaneously last week offering new connections from Bowen to the city. Just 24 hours after Coastal Link's Oct. 28 announcement, another service called Granville Island Water Taxi made public its intention to do the same thing to a slightly different destination, running passengers from Bowen to Granville Island and back beginning Nov. 1.

Both enterprises are looking to cash in on the perceived frustration with transit service among Bowen Island's 3,500 residents.

As it stands, islanders must travel by B.C. Ferry to Horseshoe Bay, then either drive or bus through West Vancouver and over the Lions Gate Bridge to downtown, a journey that can take as much as two hours.

B.C. Ferries foot passengers pay about $10 for a round trip, and vehicle passengers up to $30 on top of that. They must also keep their travel to within a relatively restricted timeframe, as the vehicle ferry only runs from about 5:30 a.m. to 10 p.m.

The two new businesses hope to benefit from those limitations.

"There's just a big need from a commuter foot passenger point of view," said Kelli Turner, owner of Granville Island Water Taxi. "Residents are getting frustrated with the late ferries and inconsistencies."

How the businesses managed to choose virtually the same start date was unclear, but Green suggested they were both natural outgrowths of demographic change. The problems with commuting from Bowen have always been there, he said, but population growth on the island has only now made it viable for a private ferry service to step in. It has also been boosted by rising gas prices, which have made it less appealing to drive, added Green.

While the two companies will be covering similar routes, the services will differ in several ways. As one goes to Coal Harbour and the other Granville Island, they will be targeting opposite sides of the downtown core. Coastal Link's boats will hold 65 passengers and run once in the morning to Vancouver and once in the evening back to Bowen (although it plans to expand to up to eight round trips daily). Its competitor takes just 12 passengers, but offers runs almost hourly between 6:30 a.m. and 11:30 p.m.

Both will take about half an hour to cross (rising to 45 minutes for Coastal Link if and when it adds a stop in Ambleside). Tickets from the island to the city and back will be in the $20 to $25 range, depending on the number bought.

Why has the #41 Bus stopped using Trolleys? I remember the #41 used to be Trolley during the early 90s. This is why you see those trolley lines along the #41 route.

Because 41 extends to UBC most of the time, and there are no trolley wires from Crown to UBC Loop. (Not that trolleys should go 80+ km/h along SW Marine Drive anyway.)

Edited by BuckyHermit

Oaflipflops.jpg

Flip flop alert!

From CBC:

Robertson pays transit fine, admits mistake

Last Updated: Thursday, November 6, 2008 | 12:12 AM ET Comments9Recommend4

CBC News

Vision Vancouver mayoral candidate Gregor Robertson says he has paid his $173 transit fine and wants to focus on his campaign.Vision Vancouver mayoral candidate Gregor Robertson says he has paid his $173 transit fine and wants to focus on his campaign. (CBC)

Vision Vancouver mayoral candidate Gregor Robertson, who had refused to pay a transit fine, has settled the ticket, admitting he made a mistake.

Robertson said Wednesday he forked over $173 and wanted to move on with his election campaign. The civic election is on Nov. 15.

"My mistake was in pursuing it in the midst of this election campaign," he told CBC News. "It was a little unfortunate that it came up so fiercely and took attention away from more critical issues facing the city."

In June 2007, Robertson used a $2.25 single-zone ticket to travel on a SkyTrain from Burnaby to Vancouver, a trip that required a two-zone fare of $3.25. He was slapped with a transit ticket but said the fine was too high for a $1 mistake.

"The critical thing here was I always intended to pay it. I'm just questioning the fairness of the fines," he said Wednesday.

After Robertson's unpaid ticket made headlines earlier this week, the former New Democratic MLA said he was disputing the ticket to draw public attention to the issue of high transit fines.

Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon on Tuesday called Robertson a "freeloader" and a "cheater" and questioned Robertson's sincerity because he didn't address the issue when he was a member of the legislature.

Non-Partisan Association mayoral candidate Coun. Peter Ladner had accused Robertson of being a bad role model for young people by defying the laws. He declined to comment on Robertson's change of stand Wednesday.

NPA Coun. Suzanne Anton said Robertson showed weak leadership.

"We have over $3 million in unpaid tickets, and you get a guy like this, who purports to be a community leader, saying 'Oh no, you don't have to pay your ticket, take it to court. It doesn't matter. [The] ticket [fine] is too high … What kind of example does that set?" Anton said.

Robertson had intended to contest the ticket at a hearing next month, but that hearing was cancelled after he paid the fine.