The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Longer wait for new third SeaBus vessel

By Jeff Nagel

Published: November 07, 2008 12:00 PM

Updated: November 07, 2008 12:59 PM

A third SeaBus that was to go into service next summer has had its launch date pushed back a few months.

The new passenger ferry is now expected to begin plying the waters of Burrard Inlet next September or October, TransLink spokesman Drew Snider said.

A previous launch date of July 24 had been promised by Washington Marine Group, which is being paid $25 million to build the new vessel in Victoria.

Transit riders won't feel the full impact of three SeaBuses – including more frequent sailings every 10 minutes at peak times, versus 15 minutes now – until late in 2010.

That's because the 12 months after the third vessel launches will see the existing 30-year-old Beaver and Otter take their own turns in the shipyard for upgrades.

The new SeaBus will also get its own name and TransLink is now asking transit users to help come up with one.

The Otter got its name from the aquatic critters passengers can sometimes spot while crossing between Lonsdale Quay and Waterfront Station.

The Beaver was named in part for the historic steamship serving the coast between Portland and Vancouver until running aground in 1888.

TransLink's name-the-SeaBus contest runs until Nov. 21. Email suggestions to seabus_name@translink.bc.ca, enter at www.translink.bc.ca or look for entry forms in local community newspapers.

Entrants get a chance to win transit passes as well as a ride on the inaugural sailing and the "warm and fuzzy feeling" they'll have each time they board the boat they named.

The SeaBus carries five million passengers a year.

From another forum about a SkyTrain medical emergency response gone wrong today, absolutely terrible what happened:

I was riding the skytrain as I do every day on my way home from work and was in conversation with a friend of mine and we noticed a gentleman in his mid to late 40 starting to have what appeared to be a seizure. The emergency button was pressed several times as we approached Brentwood skytrain station and a skytrain official came on the PA and advised that there would be someone coming to the skytrain car at the approaching stop.

The train stopped at brentwood and no one came, the doors closed and the train proceeded to holdom and a female skytrain attendant boarded the train and the train continued to Sperling Burnaby Lake where the train stopped permanetly. This in my mind was crazy because the people on the phone with 911 had to keep changing there location as the train kept moving. There where two people on the line with 911 and the 911 dispatcher requested to speak with the skytrain official that was in control of the "scene". The skytrain official refused to talk to the 911 dispatcher and advised that she was dealing directly with skytrain control. This skytrain official did nothing first aid related, and did not even know how to check his pulse, which was shocking considering she was the one responding to the medical emergency.

About 3 - 5 minutes later another skytrain attendant boarded the train and he requested a passenger to help remove the man from the train. The sky train attendant did not support his neck at all, and just grabbed him by his arms and carried the man out with his head almost dragging on the ground. he then started CPR. The train started to move again and I was still on the train. I stayed in for two stops, then felt I needed to go back and give a statement to someone at the scene. At the time I arrived there was several fire fighters and paramedics on the scene trying to revive this poor man and continued to do so for what appeared to be about 10 - 15 minutes with no sucess of reviving him.

This was a huge eye opener for me since I have no first aid training at all, and had no idea what to do, nor did anyone else on the train. The reason I am writing this is because I am so upset and shocked that the person responding to a medical emergency had no sort of first aid training to assist this man, and even went as far as refusing to talk to a 911 operator who could have assisted her in helping this man. I am not sure what I should do. I feel I need to report this somewhere, as a man lost his life due to the situation not being dealt with correctly by skytrain.

The fellow who posted this has reported it to CTV, who he says has jumped onto covering the story immediately.

This was horrible.....to think they could handle the situation in such an untimely and unprofessional manner, and as a result a man has lost his life. It's ridiculous that the guy was still on a moving train after he collapsed - they passed three stations before the train came to a stop.

Fare Gates Will Take Time: Falcon

11/7/2008

BC Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon conceded there likely won't be turnstiles and a new ticketing system in Skytrain stations until 2012.

Speaking on the Bill Good show on CKNW Falcon says the project has experienced some delays.

Falcon says : "Obviously before then you've got to go through an installation process but more important than that you've got to go through a procurement process that makes sure you identify the best system and the best smart card technology to ensure we install a good system. I will acknowledge it's not going as fast as I'd like. We did have you know, former President Pat Jacobson was moving out, Translink was hiring a new one to come in. Thats typically not an environment where your going to see things move quickly forward."

Falcon says the project has started to move again under Translink CEO Tom Prendergast.

We can't wait until 2012.

That's another 4 years! :angry:

We need to have fare gates as soon as possible!

ap_20081030040631687.jpg

We can't wait until 2012.

That's another 4 years! :angry:

We need to have fare gates as soon as possible!

ap_20081030040631687.jpg

Uh huh......they should actually take their time in choosing the right fare gate technology, as it really is a complicated system. Most transit systems require 4-8 years of planning before a fare gate/smart card system can be implemented.

Uh huh......they should actually take their time in choosing the right fare gate technology, as it really is a complicated system. Most transit systems require 4-8 years of planning before a fare gate/smart card system can be implemented.

That is way too long.

Without having the fare gates, homeless people can come to Richmond from the Waterfront station.

* One more thing,

Gregor Robertson exemplifies how significant we need to have fare gates.

He said he hasn't taken transit for half-a-year.

If we have fare gates, he would already know that he should add $1 more before he passes through the gate.

That is way too long.

Without having the fare gates, homeless people can come to Richmond from the Waterfront station.

* One more thing,

Gregor Robertson exemplifies how significant we need to have fare gates.

He said he hasn't taken transit for half-a-year.

If we have fare gates, he would already know that he should add $1 more before he passes through the gate.

they can still do that using the B-line.

So what's your point? That we need fare gates for a system that has month passes?

That is way too long.

what's so special about the Canada Line? it happens all the time with the existing SkyTrain lines, no special treatment please.

You probably don't.

You certainly have not seen how pissed off I get at people who don't stand above the stairs on a low-floor bus, or at those who do not take off their backpacks before entering the bus.

Feel free to hitch a ride with me on the 496 one day. Exact change (2.50 one zone adult, 3.75 two zone) before getting on, though. Otherwise, you'll make me miss my connectors.

That is way too long.

The greater concern should be people cheating the transit system, not the kinds of people travelling to your 'hood. As far as I am aware, they too have the right to go anywhere.

Do I smell NIMBYism?

what's so special about the Canada Line? it happens all the time with the existing SkyTrain lines, no special treatment please.

Furthermore, what's so special about Richmond? Homeless people linger around the DTES all the time, and its residents have to put up with it. No special treatment please.