The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

They were just trying to position themselves in such a way that they built it elsewhere. They failed.

Ironically, even a bored tunnel would be very disruptive as they would have ended up with extremely large excavations at all the major intersections that would have snarled up traffic just as badly.

A bored tunnel down Cambie is about 30% more expensive than the current cut and cover. With that said, yes you'd have the same disruptions at the major intersections for station construction pits but at least there wouldn't be a trench down the centre of the city - there would be small streets open as a bypass and for the most part the residents and businesses wouldn't be bitching. But being that these are bored tunnels, the tunnel would be deeper - meaning station pits would have to be much deeper and longer (which also means a longer construction period).

And with ALL that said, no tunneling down Cambie should have happened in the first place as it's not necessary. At the very least, tunneling should have transitioned to elevated at King Edward with an elevated guideway all the way down to Marine Drive.

A bored tunnel down Cambie is about 30% more expensive than the current cut and cover. With that said, yes you'd have the same disruptions at the major intersections for station construction pits but at least there wouldn't be a trench down the centre of the city - there would be small streets open as a bypass and for the most part the residents and businesses wouldn't be bitching. But being that these are bored tunnels, the tunnel would be deeper - meaning station pits would have to be much deeper and longer (which also means a longer construction period).

And with ALL that said, no tunneling down Cambie should have happened in the first place as it's not necessary. At the very least, tunneling should have transitioned to elevated at King Edward with an elevated guideway all the way down to Marine Drive.

Of course it should have been elevated past king edward. Heck, if you close a bunch of the sidestreets it could have been mostly at grade with it simply having overpasses at the major instersections, which of course is where the stations would be anyways. Could have planted trees around the line running in the middle and all kinds of flowers on the embankments for the elevated sections and made it really pretty, and more user friendly since you wouldn't have to crawl into what some people feel a scary tunnel to get there. That would have been cheap, and stopped people from shortcutting through the neighbourhoods (like what would happen in your construction plan, although it would still be an improvement on what happened). All this over a bunch of trees that could be replanted. The only tree worth saving imho is right at the intersection of kind edward, no big deal to tunnel a little further to get past THAT, and vegetate the rest so it looks better than now!

That said, that's not what the constraints where, so they went with the highest bang for buck option available. I was simply pointing out (and I know the costs of bored tunnel are higher) that for all the extra money of a bored tunnel you still end up with some severe traffic disturbances along cambie, centred at all the major cross streets. Sure the roads in between would be fine, but it would be a pain in the *** to get there.

Ah, I experienced the aftermath of that in that I had to stand around waiting for the next bus to come. I had no idea it was due to a bus on bus scraping affair, I figured they were just broken down or something. This thread is sure informative.

Edited by Mr.Noodles

Not bad. I like the amt of space in the aisles. I can see why one train can fit about 400 ppl (equivalent to 3 B-lines).

400 passengers is the extreme crush load capacity, 334 passengers is the normal load capacity. I'd go with the 334 passenger capacity figure, Vancouverites don't know how to pack a transit vehicle unlike Hong Kongers.

400 passengers is the extreme crush load capacity, 334 passengers is the normal load capacity. I'd go with the 334 passenger capacity figure, Vancouverites don't know how to pack a transit vehicle unlike Hong Kongers.

Just like a can of sardines.

Well, the crush load capacity on a D60LF is about 130something. It'll be like running 3 B-lines at the same time.

Which is basically what is happening right now :P

Just like a can of sardines.

Well, the crush load capacity on a D60LF is about 130something. It'll be like running 3 B-lines at the same time.

Which is basically what is happening right now :P

lol, i can assure you that we are never able to fit 130 passengers on to a 18-metre bus.....we usually hit the 100-110 mark.

SUN1105%20Translink.jpg

Video-like billboards coming to buses

By Jeff Nagel - Surrey North Delta Leader

Published: November 12, 2008 3:10 PM

New electronic advertising billboards coming to local buses are capable of full-motion video but will initially be limited to more subtly moving graphics out of concern they could distract other drivers.

Just one TransLink bus is so far equipped with a new LED panel as a two-month pilot project, but plans call for the screens to be installed next year on up to 100 buses, according to Lamar Transit Advertising.

"We have decided in conjunction with authorities not to run full-motion video," said Lamar vice-president Byron Montgomery.

"The thinking is slow, but sure. We don't want to come in right away with full-motion video. We want to come in with something that is less intrusive and more gradual."

The new displays, 3.3 metres long by 71 centimetres high, are being tested on the curb side of the bus, beaming six-second spots at pedestrians.

Montgomery said the pilot project has been approved by the transportation ministry, which regulates lighting on commercial vehicles, and the RCMP.

An ad that activates next to a driver and starts to move or scroll might confuse or distract the driver.

But Montgomery said it shouldn't be a problem – buses normally travel in the curb lane and the displays would rarely be visible to other traffic.

Transportation ministry officials say they and local police will review results from the trial before approving any further rollout.

It's the first Canadian use of LED motion panels on buses, although they have been pioneered in London, England and are also undergoing trials in New York and Chicago.

The technology is expected to be lucrative both for Lamar and TransLink, which earns a share of advertising revenue.

Montgomery predicts the LED panels will command five to six times as much revenue as conventional static bus advertising.

Geographically customized advertising is also possible, because GPS units can detect the current position of a bus and switch to the message of a specific advertiser when the bus is nearby.

Advertisers can also rapidly change their messages.

"This is the future of transit advertising," Montgomery said. "It's a quantum leap for our industry."

B.C. Trucking Association spokesman Paul Landry questioned whether moving images on buses would pose a road hazard.

"If cell phones are a problem it seems to me very attractive attention-getting advertising would potentially have the same sorts of problems," he said.

But if the technology gets ultimate approval on buses, Landry predicted various trucking fleets may be interested in profiting from video advertising as well.

"If it's okay for buses, one would think the same thinking would apply to a truck."

SkyTrain video screens coming

Skytrainvideoscreen-web.jpg

Video screens are also coming soon to SkyTrain stations.

Lamar Transit Advertising has installed its first 46-inch LCD video monitors at Waterfront station.

Up to 140 of the screens that display advertising and information are to be installed at other SkyTrain stations throughout the system in the months ahead.

Montgomery said more than $5 million is being invested here in new advertising technologies as part of a deal with TransLink to extend Lamar's advertising management contract five years to 2020.

He estimated the deal will be worth $150 million to TransLink over 15 years.

Although advertising spending has softened amid crumbling stock markets and consumer confidence, he said transit advertising tends to be more resistant to downturns.

TransLink increasingly views the stream of riders through its system as an audience who advertisers will pay big bucks to reach.

The more money that can be raised through advertising, officials say, the less will have to come from other sources like taxes or fare increases.

The new advertising technologies are predicted to generate an extra $12 million for TransLink over the next three years.

http://www.bclocalnews.com/greater_vancouv...g_to_buses.html

There is video of the billboards on youtube:

Edited by nitronuts

Which we should not compromise our safety standards for.

And who's going to want to ride with every dirty, creepy, smelly old guy squeezing up against them?