The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Memo to the folks at Metrotown: I'm sure in whatever country you're from people start to mosh their way into train car like they're at a Slayer concert, but here you're supposed to wait until people have left the f**king car before getting on yourself. See, that way there's actually space for you to get on, right? All those other people standing beside are going to on too, so you saving yourself a whopping big ten seconds by shoving past guys like me (who are getting very close to punching you) doesn't amount to s**t as you must still wait for your fellow passengers to embark and roll their eyes at what an idiot you are.

Just walk through them.

OR ELBOW LOLZ IM HXC

^ mostly done.

For Immediate Release

2008TRAN0028-000862

June 5, 2008

Ministry of Transportation

B.C. CHOOSES SNC-LAVALIN TO DESIGN HWY 99 BUS LANE

RICHMOND – A contract has been awarded to design a bus-only lane that will enable northbound buses on Highway 99 in Richmond to bypass traffic congestion, Transportation Minister Kevin Falcon announced today.

SNC-Lavalin has been awarded a $649,000 design and engineering contract for the northbound bus lane, which will extend from Westminster Highway to Bridgeport Road. Design of the lane is scheduled to be completed in the fall of 2008.

“People using public transit should be able to avoid traffic jams whenever possible and should be rewarded for making an environmentally conscious decision,” Falcon said. “This bus lane will shorten commute times, making the bus a more attractive option.”

“I’m delighted to see we are building on our provincial transportation network, particularly in Richmond,” said Linda Reid, MLA for Richmond East. “This will foster economic growth in our region and promote green travel options.”

“This contract proves our government is forging ahead with its visionary $14-billion Transit Plan,” said Olga Ilich, MLA for Richmond Centre. “By adding a bus-only lane to this high-density route, we are increasing the efficiency of our bus service, and making public transit more attractive to commuters across metro Vancouver.”

“This project will help improve the speed of commuter bus services, which will encourage increased usage of public transit, which in turn will get more people out of their cars and benefit our environment,” said John Yap, MLA for Richmond-Steveston.

The new bus-only lane SNC-Lavalin is designing will be available first for current northbound bus service, and will eventually be used as part of the route for RapidBus BC. This new express transit line will offer frequent, reliable service and priority movement in traffic for much of the length of the route.

The Province is working with TransLink to improve service along Highway 99 in both directions between White Rock and the Canada Line’s Bridgeport Station in Richmond. Commuters will enjoy faster bus trips and an efficient connection with the new Canada Line, to be open in fall of 2009.

The improvements to Highway 99 and RapidBus BC are part of the Provincial Transit Plan, which aims to double transit ridership provincewide by 2020 by increasing choices for travellers. The $14-billion plan also focuses on reducing greenhouse gas emissions from cars by 4.7 millions tonnes cumulatively by 2020.

-------------------------------------------------------

The design is now done, and ready to be bidded on.

Here is the link for the official bidding process:

http://www.bcbid.gov.bc.ca/open.dll/showDo..._search_by=Tend

This Bus Only/HOV lane will by pass bridge traffic and quickly get buses into the train station bus loop. The alignment of the new lane and off ramp should look similar to this. When the Canada Line opens all HWY99 suburban express buses will terminate at Bridgeport station in Richmond instead of Burrard station downtown like they currently do.

99rapidbusnv8.gif

Apart from the loop ramp are they adding a lane or converting an existing traffic lane, or repainting the existing road with slightly skinnier lanes to fit more in. Basically, apart from the loop ramp, is any widening of 99 part of this?

Apart from the loop ramp are they adding a lane or converting an existing traffic lane, or repainting the existing road with slightly skinnier lanes to fit more in. Basically, apart from the loop ramp, is any widening of 99 part of this?

I believe they are adding more lanes rather than repainting the road for skinnier lanes.

Trolley lines over the bridge wouldn't be cheap (would need a way to anchor them to the bridge). Also, there is the issue of bridge traffic, it's still probably faster to take the RAV even if it's only for one stop and you get another transfer. I doubt it would serve all that many people as well.

Ditch the trolleys then. Choose either bridge (Oak St. or Arthur Laing).

It seems counterintuitive to go all the way east to Cambie and back when you're looking to go directly north/south. (It's like 15 blocks.)

They should just build new trolley lines going to Richmond and extend the #10 that way instead, and have it hook up with the Canada Line at Richmond Center or at least Bridgeport Station, which would make for a more convenient connection with buses to/from Delta, White Rock and the like.

My suggested route would mainly be a replacement for the #10 for those travelling between Granville and DT, and for those travelling between Richmond and Granville. Not the whole way through between Richmond and DT.

I believe #10's new terminus will be at the RAV Marine Dr Stn, so it's possible to get from Richmond onto the Granville corridor using the #10 bus and only one transfer.

Transfering onto a CL train is too much to ask for?

Not when it adds 20 minutes to the current commute, not including waiting time. It takes around 20 minutes alone just to get to the downtown Richmond area.

That's why there is a movement going on to keep the current express buses to downtown from West Richmond, because we live nowhere near the Canada Line for it to benefit us. (The line itself is a 6 km bus ride from my house, so essentially, I'll have to take a 6 km detour for the CL.)

Edited by BuckyHermit

Transfering onto a CL train is too much to ask for?

It doesn't really help those that live and commute west of the Granville corridor. By making them take 15 more minutes to get to Cambie, their commute time just got longer.

Even if there was a slower bus that went along Arthur Laing and then Dinsmore brrige, there would be a lot more happier commuters.

Not when it adds 20 minutes to the current commute, not including waiting time. It takes around 20 minutes alone just to get to the downtown Richmond area.

That's why there is a movement going on to keep the current express buses to downtown from West Richmond, because we live nowhere near the Canada Line for it to benefit us. (The line itself is a 6 km bus ride from my house, so essentially, I'll have to take a 6 km detour for the CL.)

Your bus goes by way of Richmond Centre anyways, doesn't it? It would just be a matter of transfering onto a train from there, and it wouldn't get stuck in traffic unlike a bus.

Your bus goes by way of Richmond Centre anyways, doesn't it? It would just be a matter of transfering onto a train from there, and it wouldn't get stuck in traffic unlike a bus.

Actually, no, it doesn't. It turns at Gilbert Road, which is about 1.5 to 2 km from where the Richmond Centre station would be.

It doesn't even touch downtown Richmond.

Edited by BuckyHermit

Hence my suggestion to terminate the #10 at Bridgeport Station instead of Marine Drive Station.

How is that any different from terminating at Marine Drive? For all we know, it'll cost even more money to put up trolley wires, make a new bay at Bridgeport Stn, and increase the # of trolleys on the #10 to ensure frequency stays the same. All the aforementioned stuff is already there w/ the marine Dr Stn.

How is that any different from terminating at Marine Drive? For all we know, it'll cost even more money to put up trolley wires, make a new bay at Bridgeport Stn, and increase the # of trolleys on the #10 to ensure frequency stays the same. All the aforementioned stuff is already there w/ the marine Dr Stn.

So like I said, forget the trolleys. Use diesel buses on that route.

Bridgeport would be good for its direct connection with 35* and 6** buses.

Memo to the folks at Metrotown: I'm sure in whatever country you're from people start to mosh their way into train car like they're at a Slayer concert, but here you're supposed to wait until people have left the f**king car before getting on yourself. See, that way there's actually space for you to get on, right? All those other people standing beside are going to on too, so you saving yourself a whopping big ten seconds by shoving past guys like me (who are getting very close to punching you) doesn't amount to s**t as you must still wait for your fellow passengers to embark and roll their eyes at what an idiot you are.

over here, they wait, but they crowd around the exit in a sort of arc, so that the people who are trying to get out have to punch a gap through the arc :rolleyes: not much better..