The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Major preview - never before seen pictures of the three downtown stations from the canadaline.ca website:

From the Canada Line website - pics inside 3 stations - lots more pics at the links

Waterfront Station:

http://www.canadaline.ca/gallery.asp?galle...oto=2482#larger

2482.jpg

South Exit (next to UK Building)

2480.jpg

Vancouver City Centre Station:

http://www.canadaline.ca/gallery.asp?galle...oto=2473#larger

2470.JPG

2467.JPG

2461.jpg

2458.jpg

This is where the down escalator would be installed if they do so in future (open space for now):

2457.jpg

2455.jpg

Hey nitronuts,

I got a question. You know on Sundays and Holidays, an adult monthly farecard can be used for two adults and four children. Does it have to be family or can I pick random people off the street and offer them a free ride? I always wanted to try.

I have no idea lol.....I know it exists, but I wouldn't be surprised if many of the drivers didn't.

Hey nitronuts,

I got a question. You know on Sundays and Holidays, an adult monthly farecard can be used for two adults and four children. Does it have to be family or can I pick random people off the street and offer them a free ride? I always wanted to try.

Well, I think it's possible. Unless Transit cops ask for ID, in which case you say they forgot it at home.

Pretty sure they won't give you a ticket because someone looks a bit too old to be considered a "child."

Well, I think it's possible. Unless Transit cops ask for ID, in which case you say they forgot it at home.

Pretty sure they won't give you a ticket because someone looks a bit too old to be considered a "child."

Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't talking about children. I was talking about sharing my monthly bus pass with total strangers on the street. Since this is a discount, why waste it.

Oh, I'm sorry, I wasn't talking about children. I was talking about sharing my monthly bus pass with total strangers on the street. Since this is a discount, why waste it.

Hmm...since it is for 2 adults and 4 children, and you want to "smuggle" strangers (which may not resemble children) onto the bus, you might have a hard time explaining that one to the Transit cop.

Great article on why free transit is not feasible, and rather the solution to getting people out of their cars is to provide more and quality transit service:

Free buses a pipedream

By IAN KING

In the last civic election, COPE floated the idea of a free bus between Downtown and Central Broadway, ostensibly to attract more people in the area out of their cars and on to transit.

They even hired a coach to give free rides around town and get the campaign message out.

It sounds so good, so simple - and it's so wrong on so many levels.

An obvious sticking point is that the City of Vancouver doesn't run the transit system and has only so much pull with TransLink. Budget pressures make hiring a private coach a no-go.

The problem is that the cost of transit isn't what keeps would-be switchers away. It's about service and convenience.

"If you talk to people who drive and don't use transit, fares don't even figure into the discussion," says transportation economist Stephen Rees, a former TransLink planner who blogs about transit at stephenrees.wordpress.com.

Then there is the question of what mode a free bus's riders will be switching from. Downtowners and those living nearby are far more likely to walk or cycle in the first place.

"If that's going to attract people on to the system who don't use the system, those are the people who are currently walking. Frankly, that is not a gain for anybody," Rees says. "Walking is good for cities, it's good for people and I cannot see who you'd put on a service ... to discourage people from doing such a good thing."

Free service is a blunt instrument.

True, the poor won't have to worry about the cost of getting about. Those of us who can pay won't contribute, and become free riders in every sense of the term.

"Giving people free transit is not good social welfare economics," says Rees. "It may well help a few people living in poverty in the Downtown Eastside, but it will equally help people who can afford to live in expensive condos in Coal Harbour and like to go shopping in South Granville."

Unfortunately, the idea of making transit free or cheap keeps cropping up, and it's as bad an idea for the system as it is for one route.

If the goal is to get people out of their cars, Rees says that lower fares is not the way to go. Putting money into service is the way, and that doesn't mesh well with low fares.

"The sort of people who benefit most from fare cuts are firstly, people who already use transit."

Extending inexpensive annual passes to all seniors, as COPE proposed, is also flawed. It seems a nice gesture, but there's no good reason a well-off retiree who can pay $42 for a monthly pass should get an annual one for $45. All it does is cuts revenue that pays to put buses on the road.

This isn't Whidbey Island in Washington State, where local sales taxes and federal funding pay for a modest fare-free bus service that Vancouverites would deem unacceptable. Free transit in Vancouver is a pipe dream.

As economists say, there's no such thing as a free lunch.