The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official Transit Thread

nitronuts

Hey nitronuts,

I got a question. You know on Sundays and Holidays, an adult monthly farecard can be used for two adults and four children. Does it have to be family or can I pick random people off the street and offer them a free ride? I always wanted to try.

That's something we Chinese people would do. ;)

Do these underground stations provide enough air conditioning? Will it get too hot or too cold?

There's no air conditioning, we're not in the tropics. It'll be just like the downtown underground Expo Line stations.

But with the Canada Line, tunnel ventilation fans are located right at the stations.

Lrg_North%20Approach%201.jpg

Lrg_South%20Approach.jpg

Lrg_199A%20Ramp%201.jpg

Rollercoasters or roads?

Lrg_199A%20Ramp%202.jpg

lrg_SurMnPath192StSept17.jpg

that road is way too narrow for a major artery. The width can't be much bigger then the road on the pattulo bridge; plus the bridge onramp on the langley side looks like a roller coaster which will probably cause the common accident on that side of the span.

New York City bus driver stabbed to death in Brooklyn

BY PETE DONOHUE, ALISON GENDAR and BILL HUTCHINSON

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Updated Monday, December 1st 2008, 4:13 PM

alg_bus.jpg

New York City bus driver stabbed to death in Brooklyn

BY PETE DONOHUE, ALISON GENDAR and BILL HUTCHINSON

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS

Updated Monday, December 1st 2008, 4:13 PM

Egan-Chin/News

Scene where a bus driver was stabbed by a passenger in Brooklyn, reportedly sparked by an argument over a transfer.

A city bus driver was stabbed to death in front of terrified passengers Monday as he tangled with a fare-beater on his Brooklyn route, cops said.

The driver, Edwin Thomas, 46, a divorced father of two teenagers, was punched in the head and stabbed in the chest and stomach during the lunchtime horror in Bedford-Stuyvesant, police said.

Thomas, who switched from driving armored trucks to buses because he thought it was safer, became the first city bus operator killed in the line of duty in nearly 30 years.

The killer bolted the bloodshed just after noon on the B46 bus, notorious for being the worst in the city for fare evasions. He remained on the loose last night with a $36,000 bounty on his head.

The first cops on the scene put Thomas in their squad car and rushed him to Woodhull Hospital, where he died in the emergency room.

"An attack like this is so shocking in part because it has become so rare in our city," said Mayor Bloomberg, who joined Gov. Paterson in expressing their condolences to Thomas' grieving family.

Witnesses told police the killer, described as wild-eyed and in his early 20s, boarded the bus, swiping his invalid MetroCard several times in vain. Thomas allowed his killer on board anyway, witnesses said. The generous gesture cost Thomas his life.

Between stops, the suspect pestered Thomas for a fare transfer slip, witnesses said.

"You didn't even pay. Why should I give you a transfer?" Thomas tried to reason with the passenger.

Enraged, the suspect punched the 5-foot-6 Thomas in the head, witnesses said. Thomas pulled over at Malcolm X Blvd. and Gates Ave. and the attacker jumped off the bus, but then forced his way back on before the doors fully closed.

A 66-year-old passenger who regularly rode Thomas' bus said the killer then pulled a knife and plunged it into the driver's chest.

"He did not want to pay when he came on the bus," the passenger, who didn't want her name used, said of the suspect. "He said, 'Give me a ride' and the bus driver did not want to.

"[The suspect] kept asking for a transfer," she said, still shaking in the aftermath of the slaying. "Then, he just stabbed him."

Police said a witness followed the cold-blooded culprit for several blocks but lost track of him.

'A nice driver'

Watching cops fan out through the neighborhood hunting for the suspect, the passenger shook her head in disbelief, staring at the blue and white bus ringed in yellow crime-scene tape.

"He was a nice driver," she said of Thomas, an employee of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority for seven years. "I rode the bus with him several times. He was killed for no reason at all."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2...ed_to_deat.html

Translink bus drivers might want to think twice before giving a free ride. If this could happen in New York, it can happen in Vancouver.

Translink bus drivers might want to think twice before giving a free ride. If this could happen in New York, it can happen in Vancouver.

By the sounds of the story, if he hadn't given him a free ride he would have been stabbed a lot sooner...

Just recently, I noticed a greater amount of my bus drives talking on CELL PHONES. before, I NEVER saw this at all. What's the deal?? I thought it was illegal to talk and drive at the same time.. not to mention my driver, today, MISSED a stop because he was talking on his phone (in some foreign language) - and this was an express bus too, where missing a stop can mean the difference between 1 block or 10 blocks.

Edited by Elly