The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Latenight Lounge

Rate this topic

g_bassi13

When I was in highschool my metal work teacher prepped me like mad. I had the practical covered for the first year. theory was different. Then in the first part of CNC (Computer Numeric Control) I was head and shoulders above everyone cause I know how a computer worked and had done some HTML programming so I knew the basics of how a computer program worked. Just didn't know the code.

My program was expensive. But my parents had put RESPs away for my sister and I. So that helped.

But since my employer didn't pay me while at school I had to go on EI. However he needed me because I was his only CNC programmer. So I worked and then for the next 6 months back we processed overtime in the amount of my work at school so not to piss off Revenue Canada. But I would say it was worth the extra cost. It got me farther ahead in the system even though my highschool teacher had me working on 2nd year projects in highschool. In grade 12 I made a comealong that ripped a bumper off a Dodge power wagon then once tied to a tree pulled out a tree stump. The guy I loaned it to was an idiot.

With the jig saw mostly I follow a pencil or chalk line. Other than a table saw I need to trade in my Delta compound mitre saw and get a sliding compound mitre saw. In the pic below I did it all with jig saw and my mitre saw. Granted most of the cut edges of the white hardboard will be covered by trim along with the edge of the laminte.

Stairs.jpg

These stairs were covered in a crappy seafoam green crap carpet. That and the walls need patching. Granted we got it for a wicked price. Almost was foreclosed on. Given the equity in our first purchase we have the money to fix it up right.

That's really cool, lucky guy. I'm don't think I'll have to do any HTML programming in my course, and if I do... I have a Uni teacher to teach me, my dad :P

If you were his only CNC programmer you shoulda said, "Hey, now you listen to me old man. I'm your only guy for this job and I demand some pay!" Or maybe not :P But how come you didn't get paid? Not really sure what a 'comealong' is but from what I tried to understand, it's something used to tighten the ropes or chains of whatever you may be pulling?

Ah okay, I guess you're well enough experienced to make a fairly decent striaght cut. But I guess you don't really need to make it exact if you're putting trim over the top. Good job though. Are you finished everything around the stairs too or is that a working progress? Lol damn. Well when you pulled off the carpet was there hardwood stairs underneath or just the framing of the stairs? I've watched too many 'Flip This House' shows where they always find some neat kind of flooring underneath carpets, vinyl, etc.

That's kinda what I'm aiming to do, with the skills I have labour costs will decreased by quite a lot. Also I've been having thoughts of just renovating a house, and reselling like the "Flip This House" shows but I know it often doesn't work out for the people just starting out in that business. Seems like they always hit a snag in the road. I would hate to end up like them. :lol:

Did you do all of the work in the renovating process of your new home or did you hire anybody?

--

Wow I need to sleep. <_< I had a 6 hour nap after class finished in the afternoon. A 4 hour sleep here and that accounts for a 10 hour sleep! I got tons of stuff done though. Went through some old clothes in my closet and decided which ones I'm keeping, throwing away or giving away. :P

That's really cool, lucky guy. I'm don't think I'll have to do any HTML programming in my course, and if I do... I have a Uni teacher to teach me, my dad :P

If you were his only CNC programmer you shoulda said, "Hey, now you listen to me old man. I'm your only guy for this job and I demand some pay!" Or maybe not :P But how come you didn't get paid? Not really sure what a 'comealong' is but from what I tried to understand, it's something used to tighten the ropes or chains of whatever you may be pulling?

Ah okay, I guess you're well enough experienced to make a fairly decent striaght cut. But I guess you don't really need to make it exact if you're putting trim over the top. Good job though. Are you finished everything around the stairs too or is that a working progress? Lol damn. Well when you pulled off the carpet was there hardwood stairs underneath or just the framing of the stairs? I've watched too many 'Flip This House' shows where they always find some neat kind of flooring underneath carpets, vinyl, etc.

That's kinda what I'm aiming to do, with the skills I have labour costs will decreased by quite a lot. Also I've been having thoughts of just renovating a house, and reselling like the "Flip This House" shows but I know it often doesn't work out for the people just starting out in that business. Seems like they always hit a snag in the road. I would hate to end up like them. :lol:

Did you do all of the work in the renovating process of your new home or did you hire anybody?

--

Wow I need to sleep. <_< I had a 6 hour nap after class finished in the afternoon. A 4 hour sleep here and that accounts for a 10 hour sleep! I got tons of stuff done though. Went through some old clothes in my closet and decided which ones I'm keeping, throwing away or giving away. :P

I guy I was working for on the most part was OK. Just he was a little wierd sometime. My move to my current job was more motivated by a benefits package. Something I wouldn't have got at the old place. That and I am in charge of the shop in terms of ordering stuff and deciding priority and stuff.

In flipping a house, buy soon. Like withing the next year if it is in the lower mainland. The biggest part of the correction is over. The Bank of Canada has said after their most recent rate hike, rates will stay the same for the next 9-12 months.

And really the only reason I have the money to play with is because I bought at the start of the last upswing and had 5 years equity before we sold. Then found owners that had already under valued their house and were willing to talk given the divorce and the bank almost taking their home back. Those TV shows make flipping look easy but there is a reason they aren't on anymore. The US housing market tanked so they have no business. Realestate is a fairly long term business right now. Buy, hold (renovate), prosper.

For our new place I have hired electricians (not taking that on due to codes and lack of knowledge) and carpenters to fix up the exterior stairs. Other than that doing it myself.

Qris says (9:13 PM):

LMFAO @ the latest purchases thread

two assignments working together

NoCupForOvie treating Jeffrey Dahmer like the killer

and JD complimenting him

I have to say this is one of the best nights I'VE had on CDC.

Giving assignments is probably more fun than following them.

Qris says (9:13 PM):

LMFAO @ the latest purchases thread

two assignments working together

NoCupForOvie treating Jeffrey Dahmer like the killer

and JD complimenting him

I have to say this is one of the best nights I'VE had on CDC.

Giving assignments is probably more fun than following them.

You're tampering with the harmony of the CDC universe.

I like it.