The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are you listening to?

Rate this topic

Mikael Akerfeldt's voice is godly! I think his clean vocals are the best in all of music, not just metal and he has an impressive growl to back them up too. I'm not into the Cannibal Corpse style cookie monster vocals, but here are examples of growled vocals that I do like:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BXt-g4euqA&ob=av2e

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NS6dz7DqHQ

Not quite the same style as Akerfeldt, but all of these guys can belt out a good growl without it getting too ridiculously low or incomprehensible.

Interesting selections. I'll break them down a bit:

Of the 4, I definitely find the Dark Tranquility the most musically enjoyable. Very cool, interesting, complex. Vocally, I'm not a huge fan of the growls...they're just...ok. In fact, I often felt that the music was begging for a clean line to be thrown in.

The Amon Amarth music most suited the growls. Also, the growls were quite good. Powerful. The music was good, but not amazing in my mind.

I liked the Insomnium. Much of the song was like a big wall of sound, which works so well with dark music. I also liked the bits of mellower contrast. The vocals weren't quite as good as the AA and Hypo. Also, I felt the vocals were mixed in just a little too low. The instruments covered it up a bit. Also, if I had written that song, I would have included just a few clean lines. I think that would have improved it. I feel growls have more impact when mixed in with clean vocals.

The Hypocrisy was the least interesting musically, well, at least until the rhythmic section leading up to the guitar solo in the middle. That was cool. However, the growls were well done here, though I wasn't a huge fan of the extended screams. A highlight was when the vocalist would occasionally perform a rising growl (I think these were later in the song). These moments sounded bloodcurdlingly (word?) evil...in a good way!

Interesting selections. I'll break them down a bit:

Of the 4, I definitely find the Dark Tranquility the most musically enjoyable. Very cool, interesting, complex. Vocally, I'm not a huge fan of the growls...they're just...ok. In fact, I often felt that the music was begging for a clean line to be thrown in.

The Amon Amarth music most suited the growls. Also, the growls were quite good. Powerful. The music was good, but not amazing in my mind.

I liked the Insomnium. Much of the song was like a big wall of sound, which works so well with dark music. I also liked the bits of mellower contrast. The vocals weren't quite as good as the AA and Hypo. Also, I felt the vocals were mixed in just a little too low. The instruments covered it up a bit. Also, if I had written that song, I would have included just a few clean lines. I think that would have improved it. I feel growls have more impact when mixed in with clean vocals.

The Hypocrisy was the least interesting musically, well, at least until the rhythmic section leading up to the guitar solo in the middle. That was cool. However, the growls were well done here, though I wasn't a huge fan of the extended screams. A highlight was when the vocalist would occasionally perform a rising growl (I think these were later in the song). These moments sounded bloodcurdlingly (word?) evil...in a good way!

I used to be the sort of listener who needed clean lines thrown in to enjoy the music, but since I started to get into melodeath by way of old school In Flames, that no longer seemed to be a prerequisite. I find that at times, clean vocals for the sake of clean vocals distracts from the atmosphere of the song. All That Remains made this mistake on their last album where nearly every single chorus was clean sung, seemingly for the sake of it, and it got tedious without it being mixed up. Regardless, all of these artists except Amon Amarth do utilize clean vocals to some degree in their music, like with these songs:

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of Mikael Stanne's cleans (they're passable, not fantastic), which is why I like when DT uses a female guest vocalist instead

Now that is perfectly executed clean vocals, in my opinion. It doesn't distract from the atmosphere at all, but instead builds upon it.

It took me a while to get used to Insomnium with clean vocals because I felt that often their instrumentation was light and melodic enough that the growls worked fine as a contrasting instrument in the mix. Maybe it'd have worked better if they picked a different vocalist to do them, but as it is, it's passable.

I think this is a very well-written song, but the production value hampers it a touch. Where on Weed Out the Weak, the vocals were strong and powerful, these seem almost distant. It's like that the whole album, so I'm not quite sure what sort of mood they were going for with the production, but it ends up being muddled. Regardless, this showcases an entirely different vocal style from the one you saw earlier in both harsh and clean vocals.

My apologies for posting a bunch more songs :P