The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What are you listening to?

Rate this topic

On 8/31/2023 at 3:25 PM, Gassy Jack said:

Oh man, ok. This one sets me right back to a time and place. The entire album, but this song in particular.

We were teenagers, Steveston. We ruled (it was a thing...even shirts made "Steveston Rules" LOL). We were outta control (in my standards as a Mom and what we were into back then). Fishing town, lots of alcohol and drugs ... was the norm. 

The town tough guy was a super quiet, menacing, ultra fit individual who unleashed his fury at times. Everyone was scared of him and he had "followers" before Twitter was ever heard of. His parents were friends with my parents and we grew up together. Just how it was back then...total "community". Everyone knew/hung with everyone. Our parents rat packing all night as we were thrown down in the basement until the wee hours when it was time to go home. It was awesome. This guy's house had a pool (as did another friend up the street on .... fittingly .... Pleasant Street). Pool tables. We had a lot of fun and pretty much raised ourselves back then.

So when this guy eventually "moved out" it was.... to the garden shed out back. And a raccoon had decided to start visiting his back yard around that time. We were SOOOO into this album back then, it was always on. (Stones, Neil Young Rust Never Sleeps.  Alice Cooper Billion Dollar Babies - a few of our go to's).

I went to hang with my friend one day when....he'd moved "Rocky" inside. Damn critter...as we were talking/not paying attention he got into my purse and ate my lipstick! I wasn't about to fight him to get it back.

So this song...yeah, I knew Rocky personally. He was cool.

Thanks for stirring up some great memories GJ!

• Like 1

My mom used to work for a maid company and she would clean a house in Birch Bay regularly. I forgot who owned it, but they were very nice. Same with a prolific real estate agent here in Surrey. Also a nice man. I think it was Brent Roberts. Not sure if that name rings a bell to most people here, but I still see his ad on a bus bench.

• Like 1