The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

Not sure at all if these comments were aimed at me, but that's not at all what I meant. We have 2 phenomenal players, probably with more on the way.

All I meant was that Genie is more marketable. I'm not trying to downplay either her or Milos's talent and skill, I just think she will get the bigger spotlight. And yes, the women's game being a bit more open for the taking will of course factor in.

BTW, this is what I love about tennis. In sports, typically women take a back seat to their male counterparts in terms of exposure. Tennis seems to buck that trend, the men do have a larger following, but it seems that anyone who's actually serious about tennis will watch both. :)

No no, i wasn't aiming it at you. Sorry if it sounded like that.

I've noticed that Bouchard is picking up a lot of haters, which is fine. She certainly has a cutthroat mentality. She is super confident in her interviews and pissed off when she loses. To her everyone on the circuit is a rival who she must destroy on the court. She does have a lot of gamesmanship qualities, but she's also winning, which is the most important thing.

Besides, her on-court play is great. She's fun to watch and she hasn't used cheap tactics to gain the upper hand on her opponent (time wasting, "medical" timeouts, moaning). That's why I really hated Djokovic when he first got on the circuit. Nadal is also frustrating when he wastes time.

Edited by Bob.Loblaw

I agree Mr.Bob.Loblaw, Genie is fun to watch, she is very aggressive on the court and it puts her opponents off balance, it's really fun when her opponent is someone who is very good at defending.

I like Raonic, but...he doesn't play an exciting brand of tennis, he lives and dies off his service game. He is inconsistent in defending, feels like a lot of the time, all his opponents have to do is get into a small rally game with him, and he'll end up making a mistake or they'll be able to land a good shot that he can't get to.

Although, he has tremendously improved his overall game this year, before I found it painful to watch him go up against anyone with a good skill set that could return some of his serves, he would get torn to pieces. Now he can still win games if his opponent has a handle on his serve, and can even break the other player at times...not sure if he has ever broken a top player though, has he?

I agree Mr.Bob.Loblaw, Genie is fun to watch, she is very aggressive on the court and it puts her opponents off balance, it's really fun when her opponent is someone who is very good at defending.

I like Raonic, but...he doesn't play an exciting brand of tennis, he lives and dies off his service game. He is inconsistent in defending, feels like a lot of the time, all his opponents have to do is get into a small rally game with him, and he'll end up making a mistake or they'll be able to land a good shot that he can't get to.

Although, he has tremendously improved his overall game this year, before I found it painful to watch him go up against anyone with a good skill set that could return some of his serves, he would get torn to pieces. Now he can still win games if his opponent has a handle on his serve, and can even break the other player at times...not sure if he has ever broken a top player though, has he?

I believe he broke Nadal?

Almost beat Joker...i mean i watch that game and it was really close. It was literally a couple of points away.

Beat Murray a few times unless he doesn't count. I know he's inconsistent and such. I think he broke Murray too but i don't remember. Remembering the score made me think Milos did break Murray but don't remember

Edited by Monteeun

Wow, come home from work to hear that Genie made it to her first Grand Slam finals. This girl is just going to be absolutely unstoppable at this rate the way she has consistently progressed, and she's ONLY 20. I'm not going to jinx her finals game, but I'm pretty confident I know who's going to win. (I don't mind feeling a little cocky on her behalf).

I believe he broke Nadal?

Almost beat Joker...i mean i watch that game and it was really close. It was literally a couple of points away.

Beat Murray a few times unless he doesn't count. I know he's inconsistent and such. I think he broke Murray too but i don't remember. Remembering the score made me think Milos did break Murray but don't remember

He's definitely broken Murray a few times in their matches against each other.

He broke Nadal once, but Nadal double faulted twice in that service game.

He did break Djokovic at least once, either in Rome of Paris, in order to get that set back on serve. I remember that.

He's definitely broken Murray a few times in their matches against each other.

He broke Nadal once, but Nadal double faulted twice in that service game.

He did break Djokovic at least once, either in Rome of Paris, in order to get that set back on serve. I remember that.

Nadal double faulting counts my friend. I take that and run lol

Didn't realize Bouchard had haters. How can it be so? Because she plays an aggressive brand of tennis? From the interviews of hers that I've heard, she's not cocky at all.

There's always gonna be people like that. It's kind of sad that other female tennis player had to take an indefinite leave.

Didn't realize Bouchard had haters. How can it be so? Because she plays an aggressive brand of tennis? From the interviews of hers that I've heard, she's not cocky at all.

Sadly, it's just the way of the world these days. It could be someone who is jealous of her talent and they express it as hatred.

The important thing is that she learns how to tune that out. She's very active on social media and that can be dangerous. Twitter is a place where people get the opportunity to talk to famous people they would otherwise never get to talk to. And since they have the option of doing so anonymously, they can say whatever they want without fear of backlash.

Rebecca Marino let that get to her to the point where cyberbullying sent her into depression. It's the reason she walked away from the game. Genie seems mentally stronger than that and it also seems like she has a good team of people around her who will ensure that she doesn't overdo her social media. She needs to be in a bubble where there is only positive reinforcement.

Sadly, it's just the way of the world these days. It could be someone who is jealous of her talent and they express it as hatred.

The important thing is that she learns how to tune that out. She's very active on social media and that can be dangerous. Twitter is a place where people get the opportunity to talk to famous people they would otherwise never get to talk to. And since they have the option of doing so anonymously, they can say whatever they want without fear of backlash.

Rebecca Marino let that get to her to the point where cyberbullying sent her into depression. It's the reason she walked away from the game. Genie seems mentally stronger than that and it also seems like she has a good team of people around her who will ensure that she doesn't overdo her social media. She needs to be in a bubble where there is only positive reinforcement.

I think that's going a bit far. She should avoid the haters and trolls, but completely avoiding criticism and anything negative is unhealthy in the other direction, imo.

I think that's going a bit far. She should avoid the haters and trolls, but completely avoiding criticism and anything negative is unhealthy in the other direction, imo.

I think what hockeyville is saying is that any criticism has to come from her camp and nothing from the outside. That's the way it should be. Any criticism from the outside is often dangerous and unreliable.

• Upvote 1

I'm so excited for the finals! hopefully Raonic wins, but if Federer wins, I'll still have him to cheer for, would be could if he was able to win one more Grand Slam, especially at Wimbledon.

For me though, even if Raonic gets through, the main draw is Eugenie Bouchard and Andrea Petkovic.

It really pisses me off that women's matches are only 3 sets, it's a different time/era than when that rule was implemented, pretty sure majority of the woman would have no problem going 5 sets if needed, at the least, make the quarters/semi's/finals 5 sets.

I'm so excited for the finals! hopefully Raonic wins, but if Federer wins, I'll still have him to cheer for, would be could if he was able to win one more Grand Slam, especially at Wimbledon.

For me though, even if Raonic gets through, the main draw is Eugenie Bouchard and Andrea Petkovic.

It really pisses me off that women's matches are only 3 sets, it's a different time/era than when that rule was implemented, pretty sure majority of the woman would have no problem going 5 sets if needed, at the least, make the quarters/semi's/finals 5 sets.

I could've sworn women tennis played 5 sets before...

Oh right, the year end championship in the 80s and 90s

I found this one: Steffi Graf

Singles: 6 finals (5 titles, 1 runner-up) Outcome Year Location Surface Opponent Score

Runner-up1986 New York Carpet 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png Martina Navratilova 7–6(10–8), 6–3, 6–2

Winner 1987 New York Carpet 23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png Gabriela Sabatini 4–6, 6–4, 6–0, 6–4

Winner 1989 New York Carpet 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png Martina Navratilova 6–4, 7–5, 2–6, 6–2

Winner 1993 New York Carpet 23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png Arantxa Sánchez Vicario 6–1, 6–4, 3–6, 6–1

Winner 1995 New York Carpet 23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Anke Huber 6–1, 2–6, 6–1, 4–6, 6–3

Winner 1996 New York Carpet 16px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png Martina Hingis 6–3, 4–6, 6–0, 4–6, 6–0

Edited by Monteeun
  • Upvote 1

I could've sworn women tennis played 5 sets before...

Oh right, the year end championship in the 80s and 90s

I found this one: Steffi Graf

Singles: 6 finals (5 titles, 1 runner-up) Outcome Year Location Surface Opponent Score

Runner-up1986 New York Carpet 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png Martina Navratilova 7–6(10–8), 6–3, 6–2

Winner 1987 New York Carpet 23px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png Gabriela Sabatini 4–6, 6–4, 6–0, 6–4

Winner 1989 New York Carpet 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png Martina Navratilova 6–4, 7–5, 2–6, 6–2

Winner 1993 New York Carpet 23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png Arantxa Sánchez Vicario 6–1, 6–4, 3–6, 6–1

Winner 1995 New York Carpet 23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png Anke Huber 6–1, 2–6, 6–1, 4–6, 6–3

Winner 1996 New York Carpet 16px-Flag_of_Switzerland.svg.png Martina Hingis 6–3, 4–6, 6–0, 4–6, 6–0

Very nice, didn't realize they had played 5 sets before, just makes it even more dumb that they can't at the least have the final rounds be 5 sets.

Is it just me that finds 3 sets for all women's matches annoying? Like I've said, not really a tennis savant, only been loosely following the sport for the past 4 years or so, been paying more attention to it for the last couple of years and this year it has really taken hold of me.

Very nice, didn't realize they had played 5 sets before, just makes it even more dumb that they can't at the least have the final rounds be 5 sets.

Is it just me that finds 3 sets for all women's matches annoying? Like I've said, not really a tennis savant, only been loosely following the sport for the past 4 years or so, been paying more attention to it for the last couple of years and this year it has really taken hold of me.

Especially tennis players nowadays are better conditioned, the women can definitely do it. I thought at the very least, try it again at the year end championships.

As I said, her brand of tennis is completely fine. Strong on the ball, aggressive, doesn't waste time, doesn't whine on court, doesn't scream.

A certain amount of people seem to hate her simply because of a jealous strain. She is young, attractive, and very successful. But her attitude towards competitive tennis is old school. She is a bit of a cutthroat on the circuit and she's out for #1. She has no interest in making buddies with fellow athletes... she simply wants to destroy them on court. Although tennis is a purely individual sport, there has been a growing sense of community.

I appreciate her honesty about things. She is there to beat players and win. She WANTS everyone else to lose and she's open about that in her interviews. That's a really strong mentality that has been off-putting to some tennis fans. Of course, that also makes Bouchard one of the mentally toughest players in the WTA.

I've noticed two types of interviews. When not talking about tennis she has a great personality. When talking about tennis she has a "winning is everything" approach. If she's won a match, her response is "I want to win the title". If she loses she will consider it a failed tournament. Her eyes are always on gold, never silver, and she's very up front about it. That can be a bit cold at times, but again, that just makes her ultra-competitive. Like Nadal. For everything people might dislike him for, his mental game and drive to win is respected by all.

I think what hockeyville is saying is that any criticism has to come from her camp and nothing from the outside. That's the way it should be. Any criticism from the outside is often dangerous and unreliable.

Exactly. The people closest to her should be able to tell her the truth, but what you don't want is random armchair athletes going on twitter and saying "hey genie you suck, that was a terrible match"

Rebecca Marino said she had people tweeting her saying things like "I bet on you to win and you lost and now I'm going to lose money. You suck and I want to kill you." Stuff like that is enough to unnerve even the strongest athletes. So I just hope that Genie is shielded from all that.

Exactly. The people closest to her should be able to tell her the truth, but what you don't want is random armchair athletes going on twitter and saying "hey genie you suck, that was a terrible match"

Rebecca Marino said she had people tweeting her saying things like "I bet on you to win and you lost and now I'm going to lose money. You suck and I want to kill you." Stuff like that is enough to unnerve even the strongest athletes. So I just hope that Genie is shielded from all that.

For some STRANGE reason.... Eugenie Bouchard does not strike me as the type of player who is mentally weak.

• Upvote 1