The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tennis

-DLC-

I'll be honest, it took me a while to decipher that, lol.

Do you think Genie was dominant...from TSN...

Bouchard dazzled for a second straight match under the Arthur Ashe showcase court lights, overcoming a run of poor play but defeating Barbora Zahlavova Strycova 6-2, 6-7 (2), 6-4 in just over two and a half hours.

I think she was the farthest away from dazzling and very lucky to win...ahhh...its the old Candaian thing..we are always number #1...lol

Bouchard dazzled for a second straight match under the Arthur Ashe showcase court lights, overcoming a run of poor play but defeating Barbora Zahlavova Strycova 6-2, 6-7 (2), 6-4 in just over two and a half hours.

I think she was the farthest away from dazzling and very lucky to win...ahhh...its the old Candaian thing..we are always number #1...lol

I don't think that it's "we are always #1" as opposed to "it's the effort that counts".

Bouchard has not dominated in the last two matches. She has dominated the first sets of the last two matches and IMO was lucky to win this last match. Lots of unforced errors. She setting up her winners, and then missing them. When she dominates, she is brilliant, but it's not consistent.

I don't think that it's "we are always #1" as opposed to "it's the effort that counts".

Bouchard has not dominated in the last two matches. She has dominated the first sets of the last two matches and IMO was lucky to win this last match. Lots of unforced errors. She setting up her winners, and then missing them. When she dominates, she is brilliant, but it's not consistent.

She plays a high risk, high rewards game. She doesn't like hitting short balls or balls up the middle. She wants to pick corners and change direction on every shot she takes. That's going to result in more than her fair share of winners but also a lot of errors. Whether that style of game is the best to win a Slam? We won't know till she wins one!

I like that she's starting to show some emotion after wins. I thought she was a bit too rehearsed at Wimbledon - just acting like it was all routine. The reality is, none of this is routine. She's never done this before, and if Serena can still get pumped after winning matches, so can Genie. She seems more sincere when she allows some emotion to show.

• Upvote 1

It seems like the mental part of her game should maybe focus on not looking too far ahead of herself and staying in the moment. She has great composure, which likely helps with that as she doesn't seem to dwell on missed shots. But I see where often, when she has a clear opportunity to smash an overhead, etc. and has her opponent on the ropes she seemingly gets excited and it's too much/out. Like perhaps she is ahead of herself and has already won the shot without playing the shot. (Sure, like momentum and adrenalin don't factor in, right?). Anyhow, a few shots where she had it she failed to convert and, while that's just part of being human and any athlete will have those moments, some of it likely can be worked on to improve even more.

Easy for me to say, sitting back as an armchair totally unqualified tennis coach. But it's an observation - when she has a chance at a clear winner or even opportunity to take charge, sometimes those get away from her. She'll be fine/awesome...experience is huge and she is showing some true champion form and composure...I don't like some of the attitude some others display. Sure, they're competitive and fired up but it gets to be overkill as they constantly sneer, shout and challenge shots and rulings.

• Upvote 2

I think most countries like to promote their up and coming athletes and focus on the positive aspect when they win.. She did, afterall, win. Seems they also did factor in the "run of poor play", so it isn't totally biased.

Some of her down the line and cross court winners were dazzling. They were perfectly placed and left Strycova no chance at them.

I'm not sure if you meant this so don't tear me apart, but...

She doesn't have to dominate. I think we're getting ahead of ourselves and putting up unfair results we expect from Bouchard. To dominate like she did in some of her matches in other grandslams is not going to happen consistently. Other players are usually going to show up in these types of matches. That's why there is more positives to the last two matches. That she had the mental power to stay in it and not falter. That is what's going to take her far. Cause most often, its the mental stability that loses and wins you matches. At high levels that is...

I will say that she has to finish her volleys. But that will come with age and experience.

Edited by Monteeun

Maybe not dazzled but stayed with it and won.

I'm not sure if you meant this so don't tear me apart, but...

She doesn't have to dominate. I think we're getting ahead of ourselves and putting up unfair results we expect from Bouchard. To dominate like she did in some of her matches in other grandslams is not going to happen consistently. Other players are usually going to show up in these types of matches. That's why there is more positives to the last two matches. That she had the mental power to stay in it and not falter. That is what's going to take her far. Cause most often, its the mental stability that loses and wins you matches. At high levels that is...

I will say that she has to finish her volleys. But that will come with age and experience.

Nah, I'm just saying she has the skill to dominate and control the play. There are multiple times in every match this tournament where her opponent is completely at her mercy. She is capable of dictating the pace of the match, all she needs to do is finish more of her chances. She set up easy winners for herself quite often but like Deb else said, maybe got a little excited or ahead of herself and either put a smash long or fired a groundstroke into the net. If she had put half those chances away, that last match would have been over in half the time. That's probably something that will come with experience and Lord knows, Genie is still really young. It'll come and when it does, I don't see her not taking a couple of grandslams.

Nah, I'm just saying she has the skill to dominate and control the play. There are multiple times in every match this tournament where her opponent is completely at her mercy. She is capable of dictating the pace of the match, all she needs to do is finish more of her chances. She set up easy winners for herself quite often but like Deb else said, maybe got a little excited or ahead of herself and either put a smash long or fired a groundstroke into the net. If she had put half those chances away, that last match would have been over in half the time. That's probably something that will come with experience and Lord knows, Genie is still really young. It'll come and when it does, I don't see her not taking a couple of grandslams.

That's true. Fair enough.

TSN commentators being really hard on Genie for needing a few minutes to deal with the heat. Saying things like, "survival of the fittest, shouldn't Makarova get something for being in better shape?".

Bouchard now down a set and a break in the 2nd set.

TSN commentators being really hard on Genie for needing a few minutes to deal with the heat. Saying things like, "survival of the fittest, shouldn't Makarova get something for being in better shape?".

Bouchard now down a set and a break in the 2nd set.

Oh well...someppl handle the heat better than others. Commentators are just that. Commentators.

At least the score isn't as bad.

Edited by Monteeun

Those aren't the TSN commentators anyway. I believe they are the ITV Tennis commentators. Tough one for Genie but she has had an incredible year. Come on Milos!

It has been. I hope she can take this year and recognize that she can actually compete against the best and use it in her favour for the future.